Surely dead man walking | Page 45 | Vital Football

Surely dead man walking

“Not be ideal” Well that’s the biggest fucking understatement of the season. New Championship TV deal kicks in next season so that’s a bare minimum of 7 million down the shitter immediately. Gate revenue down the shitter with 3k home fans minimum disappearing along with all the decent away followings the Championship brings. Sponsorship and advertising revenue down the shitter because who the hell wants to pay money to advertise or sponsor a L1 club who don’t get on television.

We’d be stuck with players on wages we can’t afford or shift and IEC would have to stump up another bank loan to pay them off. What if the bank refuses? What if IEC refuse to put any more cash and cut their losses while they can? What happens then Roy? I’ll give you the answer in two words...Bolton Wanderers!

Relegation would be worse than a financial disaster, it could be a fatal blow for this football club. The entire future of Wigan Athletic will be in doubt and that’s no exaggeration. The financial consequences are that severe! But never mind, our shiny new big screen will be the envy of other clubs across the country in our less than quarter full stadium!

Problem is some just can't or don't understand the finances involved and bumble on regardless thinking there is a magical money tree. Relegation has serious implications.

Problem is some just can't or don't understand the finances involved and bumble on regardless thinking there is a magical money tree. Relegation has serious implications.
That’s because they’ve been spoilt by Dave Whelan putting his hands in his pockets for years to cover the losses when we’ve been relegated in the past. IEC certainly don’t have the affection for Wigan Athletic Dave Whelan has. Latics is a business to them and no one could blame them for not wanting to spunk anymore money away when it isn’t worth it.

And that is the consequences if Cook leads to League 1 however it is definitely down to how much poorer three rivals can be than us in this final run in. It isn't in Cooks hands, our demise this season has been caused by those hands and we have slipped through those hands and are stirring relegation in the face. We may as well not have a manager at the moment because that may be more of an hinderance than help because now we are relying on nothing more than fate.

“Not be ideal” Well that’s the biggest fucking understatement of the season. New Championship TV deal kicks in next season so that’s a bare minimum of 7 million down the shitter immediately. Gate revenue down the shitter with 3k home fans minimum disappearing along with all the decent away followings the Championship brings. Sponsorship and advertising revenue down the shitter because who the hell wants to pay money to advertise or sponsor a L1 club who don’t get on television.

We’d be stuck with players on wages we can’t afford or shift and IEC would have to stump up another bank loan to pay them off. What if the bank refuses? What if IEC refuse to put any more cash and cut their losses while they can? What happens then Roy? I’ll give you the answer in two words...Bolton Wanderers!

Relegation would be worse than a financial disaster, it could be a fatal blow for this football club. The entire future of Wigan Athletic will be in doubt and that’s no exaggeration. The financial consequences are that severe! But never mind, our shiny new big screen will be the envy of other clubs across the country in our less than quarter full stadium!

Yes, I know the financial implications of going down as I've said earlier. I also pointed out that "if" our owners pull the plug we'd be gonners did I not? I fully understand that.

What I am saying is that the owners are not stupid, there will be a contingency plan for if we go down just as there was on the last two occasions we went down. IEC have already said, via Darren Royle that they have budgeted for us to lose £10m over the next 3 years to leave us just within FFP limits.

Arguably the cost cutting would need to be less this time. There's no Grigg & Powell on big 3 year deals and as pointed out on a previous thread we are down to 15 contracted pros at the end of the season, the majority of whom, I suspect, are nowhere near being our highest earners. Plus I suspect that whatever division we are in the plan is to focus more on lower earning youth players.

Yes relegation will be a blow, yes income will be massively down, yes we can't stay down for more than a year or two if we plan on financially outmuscling the others in league one, yes it would be a disaster if we were throwing too much money at it in league one for years and IEC pulled the plug but those are big fucking ifs. You are automatically presuming IEC will pull the plug and do a ken Anderson on us so yes you are being melodramatic and exaggerating at this point.

So, no, a relegation now would not automatically be a "fatal blow". That is bollocks.

That surely means that PC/ Players will have won more points than them. So I don't see your logic????

…..and I would keep Cook regardless of if we stay up or go down.
As previously stated Rotherham finished 19 yes 19 points behind us last year. Have spent way less than us and are 2 points behind us a giving it a real go - good on them.
On that basis how bad a job has Cook done !
If i or anyone else underperforms for 7 months would you still be in employment ? (unless you are a public servant of course !)
Answer a resounding no

Yes, I know the financial implications of going down as I've said earlier. I also pointed out that "if" our owners pull the plug we'd be gonners did I not? I fully understand that.

What I am saying is that the owners are not stupid, there will be a contingency plan for if we go down just as there was on the last two occasions we went down. IEC have already said, via Darren Royle that they have budgeted for us to lose £10m over the next 3 years to leave us just within FFP limits.

So, no, a relegation now would not automatically be a "fatal blow". That is bollocks.

Actually the £10m you quote RR is way off the mark. They IEC are prepared / budgeted to lose £13m a year for the next 3 years with the main aim being a return to the Prem within that time frame...via Darren Royle.

That surely means that PC/ Players will have won more points than them. So I don't see your logic????

…..and I would keep Cook regardless of if we stay up or go down.

Genuine question what have you seen from Cook to make you believe that keeping him would be the right call?

If you say we go down and say 'won L1 last time we were in it' then that is a understandable position to argue (personally i'd sack him either way as i think L1 needs to be used to rebuild for another attempt at the Championship and i dont trust him with recruiment or to come back up to potentially this level and do any better).

But if we stayed up knowing the players who are leaving and the amount of recruitment that will be needed then looking at his record in the market, looking at results and performances over a long period of time - what do you think is the most likely outcome of how we'd do next season with him at the helm? What have you seen to suggest we would be signficantly better?

Genuine question what have you seen from Cook to make you believe that keeping him would be the right call?

If you say we go down and say 'won L1 last time we were in it' then that is a understandable position to argue (personally i'd sack him either way as i think L1 needs to be used to rebuild for another attempt at the Championship and i dont trust him with recruiment or to come back up to potentially this level and do any better).

But if we stayed up knowing the players who are leaving and the amount of recruitment that will be needed then looking at his record in the market, looking at results and performances over a long period of time - what do you think is the most likely outcome of how we'd do next season with him at the helm? What have you seen to suggest we would be signficantly better?

Sorry for the delay in replying KDZ.

My reasoning is quite simple, he was tasked with staying in the division at the start of the season and if he manages to do that then I believe he deserves a chance. He is new to this division and no doubt it has been a learning curve. I agree that some of the recruitment has not been great but are we sure that PC made the decisions? Indeed, do we really know what goes on with regard to recruitment in the club. It has been said that offers were made for players that were turned down and that these offers were for significant sums, perhaps PC has not been able to get hold of the players he wanted and had to take second or third best. The club has undergone a turgid time over the last twelve months with the takeover and the injury crisis we have had and I am of the opinion that this has played a part in the tactics and strategies PC has adopted. In my own opinion I would like to see him given the opportunity to prove that he is the man we thought him to be and give him at least the first part of the new season.

With regard to the other scenario with us dropping to league one, then I would want a proven manager at the helm and PC fits the bill. He has already brought us a title for this division and there is nothing to suggest he wouldn't do it again given the opportunity.

Another reason for retaining him would be the size of the payoff we would have to fork out to compensate him for three years left on his contract, and the effect this would have on any transfer budget that IEC might be considering.

I understand the argument you and others are making and to some degree I agree with the sentiments. I am taking a pragmatic approach looking at the financial implications and the fact that he is a proven winner at the lower level. Whereas I feel that there is a conflict of heart and head in removing him at present, and as I say I would be happy to allow him the start of next season if we maintain our position in the championship, but if there is no immediate improvement in form and results I would be then persuaded to let him go.

This is purely my opinion and I do not know whether it is the right way to go or not, but I stand by it. You are also entitled to your own opinion and no doubt one of us will eventually be shown to be right. Time will tell, and hopefully a result against Norwich in our favour will bring some cheer to the participants of this board.

Been saying that for weeks John. We have a "free" game against Norwich tomorrow, if we lose, nothing changes, so we should treat it as a cup game against premiership opposition and go for it. Give us something to cheer about.
correct mate be nice to have a good go but he might think dont want to damage the goal dif we will find out tomorrow

Cook will set up not to lose with strange and mysterious team selections and positional placement then we will lose.
Cook will then say we shouldn't worry because :-
"Norwich are a big club, a great club, they've beaten Bayern Munich previously and are heading for the prem.
We are still 1 pt ahead of the unplayable Real Rotherham it is what it is and if we go down so be it.
Now I'm off to Anfield to watch a proper side.
See yer lar