Surely dead man walking | Page 44 | Vital Football

Surely dead man walking

Every time we go down to L1 our tv income which is by far our biggest revenue stream plumments from 6m to 1m. Last time we were in L1 despite the multi million generating FA Cup and spending zero on fees in the summer run we lost 7m - how many years can we expect any owner sustain that level of loss making? It's hard enough getting fans in without slashing the player budget to the bone, and if crowds fall as a result of having a worse side our budget would need to shrink again and us become likely less competitive would see further fall in attendance - we are never far off entering that vicious cycle and relegation to L1 for the third time in a row moves us closer to that.

The idea of going down isn't a big issue and poses a significant threat to our long term financial future is devoid from the reality. Relegation on the field is saddening but off the field it's a complete disaster.

Yep, I completely understand all the financial headaches and risks of dropping down a division. Virtually every club in the football league is overspending and being kept afloat by a sugar daddy of sorts. Most clubs are only a stones throw away from going out of business should said sugar daddy decide to pull the plug. We are no different from anyone else.

Yes crowds would be hit and income would be down, yes it would not be an ideal situation. However, we would just have to cut our cloth accordingly, more than we did the last two seasons we went down. I'm sure we would get on with it and would have a good chance of bouncing back up. The powers that be wouldn't just be running around screaming with their hands in the air calling it a disaster, they'd get on with the job of getting us back up.

Don't worry, we'll have a big telly next year so all is well.

I think this relegation will be the worst of the lot. So many opportunities to avoid the drop on the field and a string of poor decisions off it have led us to the edge of the precipice. Why we are incapable of learning lessons from the recent past and instead just repeat the same mistakes is beyond me.

It probably would be the worst but as I'll not be clodding myself off a motorway bridge over it.

If we do stay up after keeping Cook you could argue we will have learned our lesson in that we allowed him to do the job he was asked to do at the beginning of the season and he succeeded.

It probably would be the worst but as I'll not be clodding myself off a motorway bridge over it.

If we do stay up after keeping Cook you could argue we will have learned our lesson in that we allowed him to do the job he was asked to do at the beginning of the season and he succeeded.

Well as the title thread suggests, he's a dead man walking whether he keeps us up or not. We shouldn't be this close to the trapdoor, we've underachieved on the field. Any competent manager would have had us safe by now, not overseeing the worst away record in our history.

Serious question RR...... if PC manages to keep us up ( which I hope he does btw) would you keep him for next season??

Well as the title thread suggests, he's a dead man walking whether he keeps us up or not. We shouldn't be this close to the trapdoor, we've underachieved on the field. Any competent manager would have had us safe by now, not overseeing the worst away record in our history.

Yep, I'd say we should be about 10 points better off than we are or at least where I expected, hoped we would be. It's been a disappointing, frustrating, often shite season and Cook has made some big mistakes in my opinion but let's see where we are come the end of the season.

Only IEC will know for certain if he's a dead man walking

The last time we were in League 1 was last season. Is that what you're referring to? If so, then what has the FA Cup income got to do with it?

We've been relegated to L1 twice in the previous 3 seasons each time we went down tv money drops to 1m from 6m.

In the last season despite the long FA Cup tv and prize money bringing in an unexpected boost in revenue we still lost 7m. Normally a team of that level wont earn that extra income so it's likely loses will be less offset next time.

Yep, I completely understand all the financial headaches and risks of dropping down a division. Virtually every club in the football league is overspending and being kept afloat by a sugar daddy of sorts. Most clubs are only a stones throw away from going out of business should said sugar daddy decide to pull the plug. We are no different from anyone else.

Yes crowds would be hit and income would be down, yes it would not be an ideal situation. However, we would just have to cut our cloth accordingly, more than we did the last two seasons we went down. I'm sure we would get on with it and would have a good chance of bouncing back up. The powers that be wouldn't just be running around screaming with their hands in the air calling it a disaster, they'd get on with the job of getting us back up.

Just because everyone else is in potential financial trouble doesn't make it any more sustainable for our club.

We haven't got sugar daddies anymore IEC are business people who want to see a return on investment and Bolton and Birminghams situations are likely going to change things moving forward regarding how loses in football are regulated.

We need to do everything possible to stay up for financial reasons - gut feeling or hope about a managers ability when since the end of Sept only Bolton have earned fewer points than us
doesn't seem a smart way to run a business.

By "every time", I meant Coyle, Rosler, Mackay, Caldwell, Joyce, Barrow ........

What is daft is to assume that a Manager is "out of his depth" at a standard where he won the league below.

Things to learn, yep. Naive, maybe. Stubborn, almost certainly. .......... but unless you wade out into deeper water, how the hell do you ever establish what "your depth" is?
Amazing what you can do with the best players in the league already at your disposal. Been well and truly found out with a smaller budget, while other clubs with even smaller budgets race past us. He signs utter shite, he fails to improve them on the training pitch and he couldn’t motivate Mo Farah to win a marathon. He is presiding over the most spineless team to ever pull on the shirt while I’ve supported them and that is firmly on him as the manager.

The saddest thing is should we stay up on goal difference, the Cook happy clappers will be on here like a tramp on a fiver, banging on how about what a brilliant job he’s done and how we’ll kick on next season under him. The deluded fools!

The moment the final whistle goes against Millwall him and his staff should be sacked and if they do it sooner then I wouldn’t complain.

I've forgotten the attendances ...... but lets assume max per game:

15k on at £20 a pop = 300,000.
Lets say a third (generous) spend a fiver on food/drink......£25,000

Still peanuts KDZ ................ unless of course you get a big away day, with no costs.

Give over ........ a couple of extra home games, with a halfy empty stadium? The only game that added a few quid to the coppers would have been the City one.

Half empty? West Ham, City and Southampton sold their allocations and the wish fm brigade suddenly found they were available to attend bolstering home attendances. Throw in money from two tv fixtures and prize money around 400 grand I think we cleared around a million for the coffers. - though we probably did bung a few to the coppers for policing the city fixture ?

“Not be ideal” Well that’s the biggest fucking understatement of the season. New Championship TV deal kicks in next season so that’s a bare minimum of 7 million down the shitter immediately. Gate revenue down the shitter with 3k home fans minimum disappearing along with all the decent away followings the Championship brings. Sponsorship and advertising revenue down the shitter because who the hell wants to pay money to advertise or sponsor a L1 club who don’t get on television.

We’d be stuck with players on wages we can’t afford or shift and IEC would have to stump up another bank loan to pay them off. What if the bank refuses? What if IEC refuse to put any more cash and cut their losses while they can? What happens then Roy? I’ll give you the answer in two words...Bolton Wanderers!

Relegation would be worse than a financial disaster, it could be a fatal blow for this football club. The entire future of Wigan Athletic will be in doubt and that’s no exaggeration. The financial consequences are that severe! But never mind, our shiny new big screen will be the envy of other clubs across the country in our less than quarter full stadium!

I've forgotten the attendances ...... but lets assume max per game:

15k on at £20 a pop = 300,000.
Lets say a third (generous) spend a fiver on food/drink......£25,000

Still peanuts KDZ ................ unless of course you get a big away day, with no costs.

We played on tv 3 times and won various prize money all worth hundreds of thousands in the later games before you even consider anything to do with gate receipts. There was an article at the time highlighting all the extra revenue it brought in i cant remember exact figures but it was around a million. Which for most teams at L1 level is probably half of their wage bill. A long FA Cup run like we had is huge money at that level.

We played on tv 3 times and won various prize money all worth hundreds of thousands in the later games before you even consider anything to do with gate receipts. There was an article at the time highlighting all the extra revenue it brought in i cant remember exact figures but it was around a million. Which for most teams at L1 level is probably half of their wage bill. A long FA Cup run like we had is huge money at that level.

Well done Paul Cook & staff
:rolleyes:
;)