Sunderland at DW | Page 21 | Vital Football

Sunderland at DW

Bolton losing to Wycombe at home.

They've been fucking useless against all of our promotion rivals. I know they aren't looking to do us any favours but you'd think at some point they win a game that benefited us but it seems they've barely won a game since we did.

Don't count your chickens Sunderland have pulled one back and Lincoln have largely been crap this season. A dramatic come back is on the cards...

Chris Maguire was a tremendous player for Sunderland - you wonder how a manager like Johnson ended up freezing him out and having bad blood with a player who could've been such an asset to you.

If you have played 5 games more than your competition and only managed to get 5 points ahead that is a really poor return.

If they'd have hung on for the win on Saturday and won tonight as most expected that could've been 10 clear of us and giving us a mountain to climb. But we've been fortunate to be in a position that we could afford to lose 3 of those 5 games and still overtake them. But we've got to not be complacent ourselves as they have the points on the board there's no guarantees we'll get those wins.

Sunderland have bottled it in the last 3 seasons I wonder if rather than grow from those experiences if it's weighing them down mentally.

Seems on their board they are seriously questioning the wisdom in playing the last two games with a bare bones squad "bolstered" by recalling a keeper from Notts County, a winger from Harrogate and a midfielder from Tranmere. The belief that you are leading by example can sometimes backfire.

I hope not - I think most of those involved got moved on at the end of last season - 3 of them to Wigan!

I think even if the individuals leave and management change sometimes your past can still linger.

The pressure from the crowd I think has always been a big part of their issue. When It's going well the massive passionate support goes a long way but when it isn't going to plan they seem to intimidate their own players.

Bolton losing to Wycombe at home.

They've been fucking useless against all of our promotion rivals. I know they aren't looking to do us any favours but you'd think at some point they win a game that benefited us but it seems they've barely won a game since we did.
That's because they're fucking shit, have you seen their team? One good player, two at the most.

I think even if the individuals leave and management change sometimes your past can still linger.

The pressure from the crowd I think has always been a big part of their issue. When It's going well the massive passionate support goes a long way but when it isn't going to plan they seem to intimidate their own players.
Blunderland's fanbase is up there as one of the most toxic in English football (Newcastle Utd must be up there too)
Its no coincidence that both clubs consistently struggle, expectation is like a millstone around their collective necks.

That's because they're fucking shit, have you seen their team? One good player, two at the most.

To be fair I think they've got a reasonable side for this level. Their big problem for me is Evatt is a stubborn idealist when he needs to be a pragmatist in his philosophy.

They are set up to only play passing football at any cost and they over play themselves into trouble needlessly when they just needed to clear their lines.

They are set up to only play passing football at any cost and they over play themselves into trouble needlessly when they just needed to clear their lines.

As much as I love & respect Martinez as a player, manager, person & ambassador for our club, it did use to frustrate the hell out of me when we tried to do this knowing that we didn't have the players to do so.