Summer transfer thread | Page 47 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

As far as Colback goes there’s an easy answer , if he loves the game (which is debatable ) offer him a deal where we give him 20k a week and if promoted he gets 1million bonus and a premier pay rise to 40k he don’t lose a penny and gives him incentive to play the game he’s being paid for I’ve always been a fan of performance related bonuses gives you something to give 110% for .

Ok, let's offer him that deal.

Then another PL side or a parachute payment side come in with close to his current wages and he goes there.

That's what will happen anyway

Ok, let's offer him that deal.

Then another PL side or a parachute payment side come in with close to his current wages and he goes there.

That's what will happen anyway

Then he goes there and we move on personally I don’t want him at forest but looks as though quiet a few do as the conversation about his wages has overtaken this whole thread .
There is certainly better players out there and I personally would be more than happy to look elsewhere .

Then he goes there and we move on personally I don’t want him at forest but looks as though quiet a few do as the conversation about his wages has overtaken this whole thread .
There is certainly better players out there and I personally would be more than happy to look elsewhere .

You are right, it's market forces.

Has to be the right player for the right price.

Personally I think Colback is the right player but the price... We don't know yet but possibly not. So we move on if we don't think Watson or Bridcutt can do the same job or use them if they can

What has 'earning way more than the average person' got to do with anything?

I earn a fair bit more than the average yearly wage. If you told me I had to take a 50%-75% pay cut my family would be sunk.

Why would you assume that Colback will be much different?

If he is earning way more than the average person then he will also be spending way more than the average person, particularly in financial commitments.

40k a week is £2.08m per year.

But 40% of that goes straight to HMRC remember. With national insurance, pension and other income contingent liabilities he probably comes out with fractionally more than £1m per season.

Now, to me in my Carlton semi detached with a teaching career (and teaching career money) paying my bills that sounds fine and dandy. Of that million I can easily imagine 900,000 going straight in the savings and still living the good life.

But if you've been earning that money you don't have a Carlton semi. You have a massive house with massive mortgage and massive running costs. You have a pool, a flash car that is expensive to run and the kids go to expensive private schools. The money you need to put aside is massibe as well because you have a 25 year mortgage on at best a 10 year career and will be returned for 30 years more than most people.

I'm sure he isn't caning it to payday but it's not fair to just assume he can take a massive cut in income either.

Reality is he will do whatever it takes to maintain his families lifestyle for as long as he can because that will be his first priority, not his career. He has reached as high a level as he is ever going to reach now so family comes first and someone will come in and pay most of what he is earning- no doubt that is what his agent is advising anyway

the answer is context.

U r right to point out that an expensive lifestyle is a choice. Indeed all of us in the UK enjoy an expensive lifestyle by comparison. Most if not all of the players in our league have more than enough money to feed their families.

Real players wanna play. Mercenaries wanna get paid.

We want real players. Not arguing his choices- family above career is fair enough in many things but imo some things are even more important.

He wants the same deal out of Newcastle as Murphy ie Newcastle get 2m they give it to him and he signs for his next club for 20k a week

Without that Newcastle gets a fee and he gets a pay cut why the hell would you do that when you can go out on loan for a year get 20k in a years time and a fat signing on fee

Must be a lot of rich people on here to label someone a greedy bastard for refusing to walk away from 2m of contracted earnings

Exactly the way I see it.

Rafa can be as annoyed as he likes, but he is under contract - so, perfectly reasonable to expect the benefits - unless something better comes along.

At 28 - the next move is a crucial one in his career.

Well paper talk is on about Newcastle entering race to sign 5m rated Ben Osborn so maybe there’s a deal to be had there with Colback and Osborn ?? Who knows .

There do seem to be an increasing number of rumours about Osborn this season. Could it turn into s but if a bidding war? Do we sell? And if so what would be a good price?

Although £5m sounds like a good price, in today’s inflated market and with a number of interested parties, is that the most we can expect?

£5m rated by who?

Not us I wouldn't have thought!

£5m + Colback on a 3 year contract 60% subsidized by Newcastle would be a starting point that benefited both sides
We have had this conversation before but unless someone is going to pay real money for him then I would be keeping Osborn as a valuable part of the squad and see what he can contribute to a good team.

Can’t see Osborn as the sort to throw his toys out of the Praa so we should have control of this one.

We have had this conversation before but unless someone is going to pay real money for him then I would be keeping Osborn as a valuable part of the squad and see what he can contribute to a good team.

Can’t see Osborn as the sort to throw his toys out of the Praa so we should have control of this one.

Where is he going to play?

Realistically?

If we sign these two Portuguese players then he is really struggling to get in the midfield. If these two aren't significantly better than Osborn for that money then we have problems.

He is a weak winger who has the ability to 0ut in outstanding passes and crosses but not to tear a team apart or run a fullback ragged. On a good day he is a passable left back if the other team aren't up to much. On a bad day he is outright inept in that position.

He really belongs in a midfield attacking three, drifting out and drifting in and picking out those key passes. But these two new players and Lolley are going to lock him out of many of the games. Realistically we are going to be putting a square peg in a round hole to accommodate him in the side and we shouldn't be 'accomodating' anyone.

If we are going for it and we sign these two new players then unfortunately it makes sense to sacrifice Osborn this time if the offer is good because this might become a season that checks his career

If he is earning £40k a week he will be living a £40k lifestyle.

If he suddenly has to go down to £15k he has to make massive lifestyle changes.

These changes aren't necessary as he probably has every reason to be confident that someone else will give him close to that.

It's not going to be just him he has to think about with this

Its about 12k a week difference after HMRC Popey. My point is at his age he could take that because bonuses and signing on fee, being paid up by Newcastle, would close that gap significantly.

IF we went up (the capitals were so you accentuate) the whole thing would be irrelevant.

Its about emotional intelligence and he clearly has none.

Where is he going to play?

Realistically?

If we sign these two Portuguese players then he is really struggling to get in the midfield. If these two aren't significantly better than Osborn for that money then we have problems.

He is a weak winger who has the ability to 0ut in outstanding passes and crosses but not to tear a team apart or run a fullback ragged. On a good day he is a passable left back if the other team aren't up to much. On a bad day he is outright inept in that position.

He really belongs in a midfield attacking three, drifting out and drifting in and picking out those key passes. But these two new players and Lolley are going to lock him out of many of the games. Realistically we are going to be putting a square peg in a round hole to accommodate him in the side and we shouldn't be 'accomodating' anyone.

If we are going for it and we sign these two new players then unfortunately it makes sense to sacrifice Osborn this time if the offer is good because this might become a season that checks his career
I think he is better than that personally but I agree that his best position is across that attacking three.

I would guess that AK will want 5 maybe 6 in the squad capable of filling those positions and he will want those players to have a range of attributes.

In a team with better players I could see Osborn being more effective particularly as he has an eye for a pass.

I think he will be given the chance to fight for a place there as well as being a back up left back/wing back at need.

He is certainly too valuable to the squad to be thrown over on the cheap.

I think he is better than that personally but I agree that his best position is across that attacking three.

I would guess that AK will want 5 maybe 6 in the squad capable of filling those positions and he will want those players to have a range of attributes.

In a team with better players I could see Osborn being more effective particularly as he has an eye for a pass.

I think he will be given the chance to fight for a place there as well as being a back up left back/wing back at need.

He is certainly too valuable to the squad to be thrown over on the cheap.

THIS

Tbf it was a more general comment in general. But y would anyone take him on loan For 40k per week. He won't be saying as much football in Geordie u-23 team.

It's not arrogant to say no to money btw it might be many things but not arrogance I think.

It is because Newcastle and the team taking him on loan will each pay a part of his salary.

However, Newcastle want him out permanently, so either they come to an agreement with his remaining contract, or someone offers him 40k a week, which won’t happen in the championship.