Summer transfer thread | Page 46 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

I bet Mao is fuming

Just got back!

It was a friendly, Chief; the common sense thing to do is play some of your second and third choice players in such games, or how else do you build a competitive squad?

Could you honestly see the shackle draggers beating Irelands first team?

No, me neither.

I couldn't help but notice that the six fingered Saxons played a first choice 15 against a team in complete disarray and got beat; cant be very good for the confidence.

Colback will probably go out on loan if Newcastle don't pay him off. I don't blame him for sticking it out for now, but the general money argument is daft. Mr average probably works about 40 years at £25k = £1m over his lifetime. Even after tax Colback will get more in one year than Mr average will get in a lifetime. Players deserve a bit more because they have short careers. You can't blame them for taking what they can get, but £2m a year for a bog standard player is ridiculous.

I dont think anyone is denying him a living. If he gets 15k PW at Forest for 3 years and regular football, a chance to get back playing in the EPL which would possibly triple that wage, then whats the problem? It depends on what he values. A year at 40k or 3 seasons at a decent club with a decent wage having a crack at the bigtime.

I dont think anyone is denying him a living. If he gets 15k PW at Forest for 3 years and regular football, a chance to get back playing in the EPL which would possibly triple that wage, then whats the problem? It depends on what he values. A year at 40k or 3 seasons at a decent club with a decent wage having a crack at the bigtime.

If he is earning £40k a week he will be living a £40k lifestyle.

If he suddenly has to go down to £15k he has to make massive lifestyle changes.

These changes aren't necessary as he probably has every reason to be confident that someone else will give him close to that.

It's not going to be just him he has to think about with this

Change from Colback , Jordan jones from Kilmarnock? Seems to have checkered past but knows Karanka from being a wee boy so whether there’s any truth or just Karanka connection being rehashed we will see. But supposed to have come good season just gone.

From his playing stats he does look like he is an improving player and to continue the analogy I think we should actually be fishing in any pond that has good footballers.

Could be worth s look at least.

Hes earning 40k for 1 more season. He has to probably relinquish some of that next season and then can possibly match it. He will also get a nice fat pay off and signing on fee which would go some way to closing that gap

If Colback wants to play for us then one way or another a deal can be done. If he wants to hold out for ‘a better offer’ then we have to decide whether we want to make that better offer.

If not then there are plenty of other players who can perform his role.

Mpney guides most of us, we have no choice, mortgages, kids, etc, it's never ending. With footballers it's a bit different if the player is not 100% committed, and I think most clubs get a share of those types I don't begrudge the cash they get, that's the nature of the industry, but in return I expect the player to give his best just like any of us should do in a job. We all know this doesn't always happen and a player like this is not worth the bother in my opinion.
Simples !

Surprised Colbacks got so much time on this thread - he was average and with bridcutt looking good, Yates coming through, I wouldn't be interested in him even if wages weren't an issue.

Agreed, bang average player who is massively overpaid. No wonder all the Newcastle fans can't wait for him to leave.

you have to take in to account that his career will finish at 30+ and thus he will be on the same merry-go-round as the rest of us except he will be starting from zero whilst we have had 10+ years in what ever career he takes up. That is why most of the biggish earners invest in a business or in property. The money he is earning now has to be divided by 40 years. Not such a greedy B now?

Sorry Polly buts just BS. Their oh so short careers (u r right that most people have to work 4x as much) is already taken into account. Which is why I pointed out that even L1 wages are well above the average.

Pop hits the nail on the head. Man earns 40k so spends it and claims didums when suggested to drop down to 10k

All of these players earn way more and work way less than the average person. Market dictates they earn more money but it's utter bollocks that they somehow struggle. I might also point out that they get their capital decades b4 the average and thus have much longer to sweat their assets.

No Polly, very much a greedy bastard.

What has 'earning way more than the average person' got to do with anything?

I earn a fair bit more than the average yearly wage. If you told me I had to take a 50%-75% pay cut my family would be sunk.

Why would you assume that Colback will be much different?

If he is earning way more than the average person then he will also be spending way more than the average person, particularly in financial commitments.

40k a week is £2.08m per year.

But 40% of that goes straight to HMRC remember. With national insurance, pension and other income contingent liabilities he probably comes out with fractionally more than £1m per season.

Now, to me in my Carlton semi detached with a teaching career (and teaching career money) paying my bills that sounds fine and dandy. Of that million I can easily imagine 900,000 going straight in the savings and still living the good life.

But if you've been earning that money you don't have a Carlton semi. You have a massive house with massive mortgage and massive running costs. You have a pool, a flash car that is expensive to run and the kids go to expensive private schools. The money you need to put aside is massibe as well because you have a 25 year mortgage on at best a 10 year career and will be returned for 30 years more than most people.

I'm sure he isn't caning it to payday but it's not fair to just assume he can take a massive cut in income either.

Reality is he will do whatever it takes to maintain his families lifestyle for as long as he can because that will be his first priority, not his career. He has reached as high a level as he is ever going to reach now so family comes first and someone will come in and pay most of what he is earning- no doubt that is what his agent is advising anyway

FFS 36 pages and 1 transfer . I've gone back several pages (not just 1) and still only one transfer I'm aware of.

What king of a transfer thread is this?;)

This is because the snerts have made it so the good goss is kept strictly to PM. Not that I care a jot as I have them placed firmly on ignore.

As far as Colback goes there’s an easy answer , if he loves the game (which is debatable ) offer him a deal where we give him 20k a week and if promoted he gets 1million bonus and a premier pay rise to 40k he don’t lose a penny and gives him incentive to play the game he’s being paid for I’ve always been a fan of performance related bonuses gives you something to give 110% for .