Summer Transfer Thread | Page 61 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

Paul Kendrick said on Sunday we were working on a few deals. So a tough tackling midfielder might be one of those.
I feel if we can get the midfield right then we can give some inexperienced lads a chance elsewhere on the pitch.

Need to get the McGrath situation sorted out. Then we could well see a midfielder come in strange on with McGrath. Clubs not saying much. Is he training at all. Or is he just like Tilt. Sat at home getting wages.

It is badly written, but to me looks like they wanted a way for a player to terminate their contract once a club has 2 months of wages outstanding and they've provided the club with a default notice and 15 days notice.

Basically stops a club not paying month 1, paying month 2, not paying month 3 etc.

I think you are right it seems to be a very poor bit of legislation that was rushed in to give players a way out of their contracts if wages weren't paid on time.

I don't believe it was introduced to allow them to unilaterally cancel their contract if their wages were delayed for a short period, similar to the case with our club, were the delays were in the main overnight or a day or two.

I can understand the need for a get out clause if a player has not been paid for two consecutive wage periods, whether that be weekly or monthly and is therefore without payment for the period however that was not the case with our players. They were paid within a reasonable time and although payments were again delayed the following month they were fully paid.

I think FIFA need to look again at this legislation because it is obvious that it favours one side more than the other and therefore is biased. I think that it needs to have a clause added to it stating that if the wages are paid within the 15 day period of notice given by the player the clock resets.

It is madness to believe that a players contract could be terminated because the club miss payday by one hour a month in two months over a contract period, which I know sounds ridiculous but technically could happen. It could also, under the current system, mean that a player on a four year deal whose wages were missed once in year one and again once in year four could walk away from his contract after the majority of his wages have been paid on time and in full.

I think that both the clubs and the rule makers need to seriously have another look at this and agree on tighter restrictions to fairly benefit both sides.

Apparently Jones has passed his medical at Boro, presumably that is the reason he hasn't renewed - he got a better offer. Fair play to him.

Rob Kelly has joined the Preston coaching staff, to move there so quickly i wonder if he asked to leave rather than Maloney wanted to move him along.

Need to get the McGrath situation sorted out. Then we could well see a midfielder come in strange on with McGrath. Clubs not saying much. Is he training at all. Or is he just like Tilt. Sat at home getting wages.

Him and McClean were only due back in training over the last few days, but i've not heard anything about what the situation is there.

But we've heard he wants out and Scottish clubs want him, so i'm not expecting him to stay. Although i'd quite like him to.

You could easily just loan one. That Lewis Warrington from Everton for example

Apparently tried for him before, so that's probably a realistic one.

Looking at any potential central mid frees:

Jack Colback -33 but at this level on a one year deal with young legs around him i think he'd be probably a good option. We were linked in January so again another one we might have kept an eye on. Seems to have avoided injuries and played a few Prem games last season.

Jake Livermore - 33 but like Colback on a 1 year deal might be a good option at this level. He captained West Brom at times last season but it seems like he's had some injuries that could put you off.

Adam Forshaw - i imagine there are a lot of clubs looking at him, Leeds at one point were said to resign him. But if he doesn't have any takers he'd be a superb pick up. It didn't work out when he was here last time but he's clearly a top player. I'd be shocked if he can't find a Championship club.

Josh Onomah - he was a top player a few years ago for Fulham but his career has gone off the boil a bit over the last few years. But still only 26.

Dennis Adeniran - seemed a decent player for Sheff Wed but often played second fiddle to bigger names. There was talk that Sheff Wed may keep him as he's still not that old.

Luke Amos - when fit he's a good player but had a history of injury problems at QPR that probably is the reason he was released and not got a new club so far.

There's not a lot on the free agent marker, so not sure we'll look at any of them and we probably looking at Champ players who are falling out of favour who may yet get released or loaned or Prem youngsters.

Last edited:
Apparently tried for him before, so that's probably a realistic one.

Looking at any potential central mid frees:

Jack Colback -33 but at this level on a one year deal with young legs around him i think he'd be probably a good option. We were linked in January so again another one we might have kept an eye on. Seems to have avoided injuries and played a few Prem games last season.

Jake Livermore - 33 but like Colback on a 1 year deal might be a good option at this level. He captained West Brom at times last season but it seems like he's had some injuries that could put you off.

Adam Forshaw - i imagine there are a lot of clubs looking at him, Leeds at one point were said to resign him. But if he doesn't have any takers he'd be a superb pick up. It didn't work out when he was here last time but he's clearly a top player. I'd be shocked if he can't find a Championship club.

Josh Onomah - he was a top player a few years ago for Fulham but his career has gone off the boil a bit over the last few years. But still only 26.

Dennis Adeniran - seemed a decent player for Sheff Wed but often played second fiddle to bigger names. There was talk that Sheff Wed may keep him as he's still not that old.

Luke Amos - when fit he's a good player but had a history of injury problems at QPR that probably is the reason he was released and not got a new club so far.

There's not a lot on the free agent marker, so not sure we'll look at any of them and we probably looking at Champ players who are falling out of favour who may yet get released or loaned or Prem youngsters.

Reading are apparently looking at Amos.

Kell Watts loan to permanent deal according to the Newcastle local
You could be 'bang on the money'

Newcastle United defender Kell Watts is set to join Wigan Athletic on a season-long loan deal that will become permanent next summer, according to reporter Craig Hope.

Do we literally have a scouting system? This is why I don't like Gregor Rioch in a power position within the senior set-up. Keep him with the youth and get a proper director of football in who actually has knowledge of the lower leagues in England, Europe and Premier League 2.

It appears I've been sleeping on Charlton by the way. Not many signings, but quality over quantity. Alfie May, Harry Isted and now Panutche Camara. Whilst we pick up a player released by them...

This will be a season of consolidation due to lumps like Tilt, Amos, Jordan Jones, Magennis and Wyke strangling the wage bill. Until next summer when we can fuck this lot off for good, we're completely handicapped.

I’m glad the club are signing younger players who won’t be on big wages. If players like Watts (it says we’re signing him permanently next summer) and Matt Smith do well their value will increase. I’d hope we can pick up a few more young players with some first team experience to help the squad. There’s no point looking at who other teams have signed and moaning about us not getting them, we just need to focus on ourselves and back the team.

How much has Mr. Danson paid to save Wigan Athletic????
After paying the money owed to HMCR, paying Mays late wages, then June and July's wages he's probably not far off spending 10m already without us even playing a game!

It's just as well Danson came along as anyone else would've looked at those costs and ran a mile. Can't be anything but grateful to him.

This season is about stoping up. And getting. Players out the door. That Maloney. Really doesn’t want here. I’ve never ever been a Tilt fan. But would really like to know the reason why he’s been frozen out. He must have clashed. With Maloney early days. Not even a mention of him going any where.

I’m glad the club are signing younger players who won’t be on big wages. If players like Watts (it says we’re signing him permanently next summer) and Matt Smith do well their value will increase. I’d hope we can pick up a few more young players with some first team experience to help the squad. There’s no point looking at who other teams have signed and moaning about us not getting them, we just need to focus on ourselves and back the team.

I look at some of the players other teams have signed and think 'i would've loved them' - but reality is we are going to struggle to attract those players this window.

All of our budget is tied up in expensive wages we can't get off the books, so we are going to struggle to offer better wages until those players leave and free up squad space and wages.

The second issue is even if we offered the same wages as Portsmouth, Peterborough, Chalrton, Derby, etc for a players all of them are telling the player they will be pushing for the automatic spots, while our points deduction means we can't offer that.

It is frustrating to be at a disadvantage like this, but considering we nearly didn't have a club a month ago, it's probably not that bad.