Summer Transfer Thread | Page 62 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

I'm really suprised we are bringing Watts back. From what we saw of him he seemed a big stopper, but limited with the ball. I hear it repeated that he was good on the ball but i don't think we ever saw that.

Based on how Maloney has completely ignored Tilt since he arrived it seemed we were looking for more than big stoppers.

I'd have thought Maloney would've wanted someone who is more of a 'modern' centre half like Rekik was and i don't think that is you'd call Watts.

Maybe Watts has more in his locker than he previously showed and he is more capable on the ball but never got a chance to show it as he was drilled to hit it long every time it got to him. Guess we'll see.

I can't get my head around the bit where it says he's signing a loan that becomes a permanent deal in a year. From everyone's perspective you'd think just a loan would make the most sense, as if we lock a deal now and it goes badly we are stuck with a player we wouldn't want. With the flip side being if it goes well Newcastle wouldn't be able to recall and sell him in January or the player able to wait until next summer and get to pick his club.

I'm really suprised we are bringing Watts back. From what we saw of him he seemed a big stopper, but limited with the ball. I hear it repeated that he was good on the ball but i don't think we ever saw that.

Based on how Maloney has completely ignored Tilt since he arrived it seemed we were looking for more than big stoppers.

I'd have thought Maloney would've wanted someone who is more of a 'modern' centre half like Rekik was and i don't think that is you'd call Watts.

Maybe Watts has more in his locker than he previously showed and he is more capable on the ball but never got a chance to show it as he was drilled to hit it long every time it got to him. Guess we'll see.

I can't get my head around the bit where it says he's signing a loan that becomes a permanent deal in a year. From everyone's perspective you'd think just a loan would make the most sense, as if we lock a deal now and it goes badly we are stuck with a player we wouldn't want. With the flip side being if it goes well Newcastle wouldn't be able to recall and sell him in January or the player able to wait until next summer and get to pick his club.
Is he 100% fit now.

The thing I saw Watts struggle with was playing against big target men. He was younger then and lacked experience. He’s got more games behind him now and will have developed physically. I thought he had a cracking left foot and looked far better than Tilt. Last season highlighted how poor Tilt is on the ball and also his positional play cost us quite a few goals.

There’s still plenty time for more players to join us too, the loan market will be busy once clubs have decide who to make available.

Tilt has gone to Salford. He'll be a superb signing for them in L2.

I really liked Tilt, he was a good big stopper with a bit of pace but i understand we are probably looking for something else from our centre backs now.

He was a big player for us in L1 in both the survival and promotion season and feel he was hard done by a section of our fan base who picked him out for extra criticism when the whole team was struggling just as badly last season.

I don't know what happened with him and Maloney, but it's really sad his time with us ended with him being frozen out and training alone while everyone else went on preseason. But whatever the case he was a good servant to the club, scored a couple of important goals and a screamer against Burton - good luck to him.

Do we literally have a scouting system? This is why I don't like Gregor Rioch in a power position within the senior set-up. Keep him with the youth and get a proper director of football in who actually has knowledge of the lower leagues in England, Europe and Premier League 2.

It appears I've been sleeping on Charlton by the way. Not many signings, but quality over quantity. Alfie May, Harry Isted and now Panutche Camara. Whilst we pick up a player released by them...

This will be a season of consolidation due to lumps like Tilt, Amos, Jordan Jones, Magennis and Wyke strangling the wage bill. Until next summer when we can fuck this lot off for good, we're completely handicapped.
No we don’t have a scouting system, they all left. Let’s have it right, Charlton have signed established League One players. Watts has already done well for us in a League One-winning team. He has the potential to play in the Championship. He is a good signing for us and will provide some much needed balance on the left side of the defence. The fact we already knew him doesn’t make him a bad signing

Tilt has gone to Salford. He'll be a superb signing for them in L2.

I really liked Tilt, he was a good big stopper with a bit of pace but i understand we are probably looking for something else from our centre backs now.

He was a big player for us in L1 in both the survival and promotion season and feel he was hard done by a section of our fan base who picked him out for extra criticism when the whole team was struggling just as badly last season.

I don't know what happened with him and Maloney, but it's really sad his time with us ended with him being frozen out and training alone while everyone else went on preseason. But whatever the case he was a good servant to the club, scored a couple of important goals and a screamer against Burton - good luck to him.
Yep, we'd have gone down to L2 without that loan spell from him during Admin. He was superb then, committed and passionate which more than made up for his lack of technical ability. Got the crowd going too.
Genuinely sorry to see him go.

They have 2 keepers who will be away in January for African Cup of nations and the Asian Cup so could get some game time then.

Watts is a surprise. But it's a good signing given his age. He's got time on his side and showed he had plenty of ability previously to suggest a very good player could emerge.