Summer Transfer Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

Hopefully we'll manage to get Kelly back also. I know he's over 30, but he showed enough quality in 35 or so minutes to prove his worth would be valuable.

Maloney made it very clear he intended to sign Kelly but I wonder if financially under the new budget that is still viable right now or if he is still injured and expected to be out a while.

I think Maloney sees Kelly as part of his future coaching staff based on how he spoke about him, so I think there's a good chance he'll end up here eventually but he'll not want to give up his final year of good wages at West Brom so he'll need to negotiate a pay off with them and that won't likely happen until he's fit.

Nothing against Kelly but personally I'd prefer us to look at bringing Rekik back if possible as I think he's got a lot of potential.

Last edited:
Shinnies gone to Aberdeen.

Leaves us with no cms at the club which has to be a concern when we finish "fitness" work shortly and start kicking a ball.

Hopefully we've more incoming on the way as we really are threadbare thanks to tal and his mates.

So the senior squad as it stands

2 goal keeprs (Tickle Amos)

5 centre backs (Whatmough, Hughes, Morrison, Kerr, Titl)

No right backs

3 left backs
(Pearce, McClean, Robinson)

1 centre mid (McGrath)

1 right winger (Lang)

1 left wing (Jones)

2 attacking mids (Keane, Aasgaard)

3 strikers (Humphrys, Wyke, Magennis)

Some will obviously leave and some of the youth team will come into the picture, so all things considered i think we'll probably end up trying to sign players in virtually every position. With right wing back and centre mid 2 of the most urgent areas we need to recruit in.

I think any more signings in the pipeline will hopefully come before this Friday if they are leaving for Hungary on Sunday ? as it will be important to bond the team in pre-season

Jamie mcgrath is a attacking mid/winger isn't he?

From what i've read he can play everywhere across midfield, but i think he's been more often used like Power linking things together rather than say Keane or Lang getting into he box looking for goals or creating chances. As even though he has a good amount of goals they are nearly all penalties.

I think any more signings in the pipeline will hopefully come before this Friday if they are leaving for Hungary on Sunday ? as it will be important to bond the team in pre-season

Maloney said he was hopeful for 1 last Friday which was Morrison but dragged out until yesterday. Then he said he was hopeful for another one early this week so unless the deal has collapsed hopefully should be at least 1 more.

We always tend to end up having the preseason tour before the bulk of new signings arrive.

This could be completely meaningless but i noticed that on his Instagram Morrison has added a number of Latics players after he signed as you'd expect. But amongst the Latics players was Matt Smith, the young central midfielder who has just been released by Arsenal.

It seemed to suggest the possibility he met him along with the other Latics players, but maybe it is just a coincidence. Guess we'll see.

He also added Luke Robinson, which would suggest despite Robinson not appearing in any photos he is there. Maybe he's still injured?

I hope we are looking at keeping the players returning from loans.
Maloney will know of McGrath and Jones from his time coaching in Scotland so that may help. With Humphrys playing at Hearts I am sure his performances will have been tracked as well.
I think loans,frees and youngsters will be enough to secure a decent position next season. Play-offs would be an exceptional effort I reckon.
Transfer wise, I think we need to look at getting some seasoned League One players in. Signing players as projects or from abroad may not be wise as they will have to settle in etc. We will be needing to hit the ground running this season! Looking forward to it more than I was a few weeks ago

This could be completely meaningless but i noticed that on his Instagram Morrison has added a number of Latics players after he signed as you'd expect. But amongst the Latics players was Matt Smith, the young central midfielder who has just been released by Arsenal.

It seemed to suggest the possibility he met him along with the other Latics players, but maybe it is just a coincidence. Guess we'll see.

He also added Luke Robinson, which would suggest despite Robinson not appearing in any photos he is there. Maybe he's still injured?

Hope it's not thee Matt Smith the 6foot 7 giant

Hope it's not thee Matt Smith the 6foot 7 giant

No, he's 22 year old centre mid from Arsenal. Played against us on loan for Doncaster when we last won L1.

It might not even be anything, just an observation that Morrison added Smith in the middle of a pile of Latics players on his social media over the last day or so. Not based on insider info or anything. It was just strange to add 1 other random player in an adding spree of Wigan players.

But funnily enough immediately after i mentioned it someone on Twitter posted it as a real link from an inside source rather than pure speculation. Lol. I guess that's the internet for you.

Last edited:
Martin Kelly was mentioned earlier, just saw that he is still doing his rehab, he is doing lots of gym work and back to running again on grass but not yet started any football specific training yet. So it seems like he's progressing well but still a little way to go to be back to 100%.

No, he's 22 year old centre mid from Arsenal. Played against us on loan for Doncaster when we last won L1.

It might not even be anything, just an observation that Morrison added Smith in the middle of a pile of Latics players on his social media over the last day or so. Not based on insider info or anything. It was just strange to add 1 other random player in an adding spree of Wigan players.

But funnily enough immediately after i mentioned it someone on Twitter posted it as a real link from an inside source rather than pure speculation. Lol. I guess that's the internet for you.
Is that twitter link from Donelly? If so it's definitely shite. Would be a brilliant signing if right though

Is that twitter link from Donelly? If so it's definitely shite. Would be a brilliant signing if right though
I think so. It made me laugh anyone would read clear speculation on here and try and pass it off as inside info.

I hope it is true as he seems a good player and seems somewhat realistic. In the past sometimes players adding other players have given away that they are signing. But there has been other times when players social media activity suggested something that never ended up happening too. So you never know.

I think so. It made me laugh anyone would read clear speculation on here and try and pass it off as inside info.

I hope it is true as he seems a good player and seems somewhat realistic. In the past sometimes players adding other players have given away that they are signing. But there has been other times when players social media activity suggested something that never ended up happening too. So you never know.
Yeah I'd love it to be true and I'm guessing he'd be on our radar. I think Weir is out of contract aswell. Both would be great additions

Shinnies gone to Aberdeen.

Leaves us with no cms at the club which has to be a concern when we finish "fitness" work shortly and start kicking a ball.

Hopefully we've more incoming on the way as we really are threadbare thanks to tal and his mates.

Did Aberdeen pay a fee or did we give him away?

Did Aberdeen pay a fee or did we give him away?
I'm sure it said undisclosed. But it wouldn't suprise me if we've paid up Shinnies contract or subsidising the 1st year of his new contract.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here but we've been linked with Luke Amos. A 26 yr old midfielder just been released by QPR.

I'm sure it said undisclosed. But it wouldn't suprise me if we've paid up Shinnies contract or subsidising the 1st year of his new contract.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here but we've been linked with Luke Amos. A 26 yr old midfielder just been released by QPR.
Amos is a good little player

Yeah I'd love it to be true and I'm guessing he'd be on our radar. I think Weir is out of contract aswell. Both would be great additions

I can see Weir being one Rioch is keen to bring back for sure. He had a good season in L1 last year and is still very young so potential to improve with lots of resale value.

Lewis Warrington is another we've previously been linked with that i could see us looking at.

Hang on! Aberdeen wanted him, he wanted to go - so why on earth would we either pay up his contract or subsidise the 1st year of his new contract? He was contracted to us until next summer, he wanted to go so Aberdeen should pay us a fee (not the reverse)!