Summer Transfer Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

We haven’t signed him but if we do give the lad a chance! We got Jamie Jones and Gavin Massey from lower leagues when they were out of contract. They weren’t world beaters but both did a job and put in some good performances.

The lad has played nearly 100 games in L1 ?? and was in hoof and run team that never played the ball to his feet ?? I think we give him a chance to see what he can do ? Looking back at his Career he was bought by Lee Johnson at Bristol City and was a fast & technical player ... I will welcome him looking at his goals further back ...👍

I read somewhere that £80,000 a week had been slashed of the wage bill since the end of last season, and that was before Shinnie left, so that is over £4.5M a year.
Jones and Power will add to that on 1st July if they don't sign.
We are in need of a good few recruits, so we will have more to pay out, but I don't think we have seen the end of the big earners leaving just yet.

It’s a definitely a wake up call for a lot of fans (me included) in terms of player calibre. We were apparently looking at signing Sinani only recently (the same type of winger) and we’ve ended up with this lad.

Apparently he didn’t take criticism well at Burton? Christ he’s in for a nasty shock here unless he grows some thick skin.

Hopefully some more outgoings aren’t far away. Surely some hoofball L1 club can take Tilt off our hands?

I don't know why anyone is being critical of Smith he looks quite decent to me. We need pace, someone who can beat his man and put crosses in and that is what he does. He averaged about 1 goal contribution every 3 starts at Burton which is very reasonable for a free transfer.

Everyone also needs to remember we had to tear up all summer transfer preparations and start from scratch without a recruitment team a couple of weeks ago. Then on top of that the -8 points makes selling the club very difficult.

If Maloney hadn't had the off field carnage to contend with and points deductions he'd have been competing for the higher profile players Portsmouth, Bolton, Derby and Peterborough are signing. But players will always opt for the teams most likely to go up and our punishments ran up by the previous ownership have completely knee capped us.

We aren't going to sign anyone who's flavour of the month this window that the promotion chasers are battling over, we are going to need to find the gems they are overlooking. They are there for sure it's just finding them. A good example was Scott Twine 2 years ago - the promotion favourites like us, Ipswich, Rotherham, Sunderland, Sheffield Wed etc all could've easily signed him on a tribunal fee of 200k from Swindon but we all passed him over and allowed mid table MK to pick him up and he was a revelation and by the end of the season none of us who previously thought we could do better could afford to buy him.

If Maloney hadn't had the off field carnage to contend with and points deductions he'd have been competing for the higher profile players Portsmouth, Bolton, Derby and Peterborough are signing. But players will always opt for the teams most likely to go up and our punishments ran up by the previous ownership have completely knee capped us.
No he wouldn't. Those days are over. If we're going for sustainability then this is the future. Signing players released from the likes of Burton Albion who will command less than 2k a week in wages. We'll be competing with clubs such as Shrewsbury and Carlisle for players, the four clubs you've mentioned are on a significantly higher rung than us in the financial ladder now.

Scott Twine would never have been accessible for us in our current financial position. MK Dons probably have a significantly bigger budget than when taking into account the revenue they earn from Stadium MK through concerts and other sporting events such as the Darts.

No he wouldn't. Those days are over. If we're going for sustainability then this is the future. Signing players released from the likes of Burton Albion who will command less than 2k a week in wages. We'll be competing with clubs such as Shrewsbury and Carlisle for players, the four clubs you've mentioned are on a significantly higher rung than us in the financial ladder now.

Scott Twine would never have been accessible for us in our current financial position. MK Dons probably have a significantly bigger budget than when taking into account the revenue they earn from Stadium MK through concerts and other sporting events such as the Darts.

According to the last accounts they all put up on companies house:

Shrewsbury club wage bill last season was 3.9m.

Burtons was 4.2m

MK Dons was also 4.1m

Off the top of my head the bigger clubs tended to be around around 5-6m from what I previously read. But they are often selling players to sustain that which is exactly what we'll have to do.

Our previous L1 wage bill was 14m by contrast. The days of us offering 10k a week to players at this level are certainly over but I don't think anyone in L1 this year is going to be paying those figures. I think once we get our house in order we'll be competitive with wages for this level but certainly won't be heavily out bidding everyone like we used to.

Maloney wanted to keep Shinnie. According to Shinnie anyway….

I think Shinnie would have been ideal for Maloney if he'd have had a chance to play for him. But unfortunately he's another player who left who was just never given a fair crack before he left.

We’ll still have a few players on good money this year who’ll bump up our wage bill. I’d imagine once their contracts are expire we won’t be giving out any more daft contracts.

If the lad from Burton signs it’s sounds like he fits the profile of players Maloney said we were lacking - pace. Jordan Jones is also back at the club which would give us 2 out and out wingers. We also still have Lang and Aasgard who can play out wide.

Maloney wanted to keep Shinnie. According to Shinnie anyway….

He also mentions
"The takeover was then talked about...
"We were being told it was going to go through and we were hoping it was true because it was very convincing and sounded good.

"But the majority of the time it would come to the next day and it wouldn't have been true.

It does sound like the takeover has been on the cards for a while.

I'd imagine that was the one from Pop Mon Sid (or even another that got nowhere) as opposed to Danson's successful takeover.

"hoping it was true because it was very convincing and sounded good."

Nah, I dont think he meant Pop Mon !!
I'd imagine that it was Danson based on the above.

"hoping it was true because it was very convincing and sounded good."

Nah, I dont think he meant Pop Mon !!
I'd imagine that it was Danson based on the above.
Fair enough ... though doesn't that go against what was said by CM and LN re Danson being a reluctant saviour (my phrase, not theirs).

theres nowt rong with signing pleyers on 2k a week. these tend to be the pleyers whos talents havent been found or developed. with shean and the rest of the traning team doing their magic we ll turn them into 10/15k a week pleyers in 2 years when we sell em on.

the problem going forward will not be the pleyers we get. itll be holding onto shean when the big teems see what he can do on the traning ground and a buget.

It’s a definitely a wake up call for a lot of fans (me included) in terms of player calibre. We were apparently looking at signing Sinani only recently (the same type of winger) and we’ve ended up with this lad.

Apparently he didn’t take criticism well at Burton? Christ he’s in for a nasty shock here unless he grows some thick skin.

Hopefully some more outgoings aren’t far away. Surely some hoofball L1 club can take Tilt off our hands?
You seem to have a very short memory or you have a blinkered view of games. At times Tilt was the only one of our centre halves who even looked to -lay out the ball or take it on himself by going with it to the opposition box, so your “hoofball” comment can be taken as what it is, bitter and twisted