Summer Transfer Thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Thread

Hang on! Aberdeen wanted him, he wanted to go - so why on earth would we either pay up his contract or subsidise the 1st year of his new contract? He was contracted to us until next summer, he wanted to go so Aberdeen should pay us a fee (not the reverse)!

Normally we would get a fee but we need to move a player on who's on a decent wage.
Maybe it's more than Aberdeen can afford so we've added a sweetener.

I imagine that us, Aberdeen and Shinnie negotiated a deal where any money owed to Shinnie contractually was covered by Aberdeen. I don't expect we probably made any money from him going but probably didn't lose any either - other than saving on future wages.

The interview on the official site with Maloney he says his recruitment plans were completely destroyed by what happened over the last couple of months. So they had to rework everything and are doing most of the recruitment process themselves at the moment. So it sounds like they are trying to play catch up after having the rug pulled from under them.

The interview on the official site with Maloney he says his recruitment plans were completely destroyed by what happened over the last couple of months. So they had to rework everything and are doing most of the recruitment process themselves at the moment. So it sounds like they are trying to play catch up after having the rug pulled from under them.

Must be very hard and even though we've a new owner, as fans we must be very patient with Maloney this season, feels like to a certain extent the squad, still won't be "his" team. By that, I mean that regardless of targets having to change, we're bound to have missed out on players and starting on -8 makes it harder to attract players, not like we can entice players by saying "we're really going to push for automatic promotion", even playoffs will be a hugely difficult ask

Charlie Hughes signs a new contract extension giving him better terms and adding another year to the previous contract he signed a few month ago.

Well done to the club for ensuring he can't walk out. He is one who is genuinely irreplaceable in terms of his potential and future sale value.

I imagine similar discussions have probably taken place with other players we are afraid we may lose for frees. But Hughes was the main one we needed to keep.

Charlie Hughes signs a new contract extension giving him better terms and adding another year to the previous contract he signed a few month ago.

Well done to the club for ensuring he can't walk out. He is one who is genuinely irreplaceable in terms of his potential and future sale value.

I imagine similar discussions have probably taken place with other players we are afraid we may lose for frees. But Hughes was the main one we needed to keep.
And for all his faults it was kolo who gave this lad his chance. If we had stuck with Richardson this lad would never have got game time. Funny old game football. As the look of a Steve Walsh this lad.

I doubt he signed the previous deal when it was announced, similar to Richardson, Whatmough, Keane and McClean. Probably why he's been given improved terms aswell

I doubt he signed the previous deal when it was announced, similar to Richardson, Whatmough, Keane and McClean. Probably why he's been given improved terms aswell
If you look at the announcement from February they said Hughes he'd signed a 4 and a half year deal to take him through to 2027.

There is no way they'd have given a youth player who hadn't played a minute of league football at the time an extension that long the summer before. I think that Whatmough and Hughes deals in Feb were genuine new contracts agreed at the time as the players themselves talked about the negotiate process.

McClean, Keane and Richardson never spoke about their contracts rolling over and it was never announced. My guess would be they were trigger extensions just like Massey, Tilt and Amos' that also never got announced. It seems that we have a policy on not confirming automatic extensions for some reason.

So I think Hughes is on his second pay rise in 4 months, which isn't bad for him. If we've offered Hughes that i imagine we've probably held talks with other players we fear could walk out for a free. To be honest there probably aren't that many that we really are worried about, Lang, Whatmough, Keane and maybe McGrath but the rest of the players we have i can't see there being much interst or them walking out to be honest.

And for all his faults it was kolo who gave this lad his chance. If we had stuck with Richardson this lad would never have got game time. Funny old game football. As the look of a Steve Walsh this lad.

I think moving Richardson on was the right call, but maybe if we'd have hired a competent replacement they'd have picked Hughes anyway and we'd have not had to endure the worst manager in Latics history with Toure to see Hughes get a chance.

Never heard of Smith previously but had a quick look. He turned down a contract extension at Burton to leave on a free.

At Burton in 86 appearances (65 starts) he got 12 goals and 10 assists over 2 years.

Prior to that he at Bristol but out on loan through his time there. He was on Swindon in L1 and got 2 goals and 1 assist in 20 appearances. In L2 had 11 goals and 6 assists in 32 apperances for Oldham and 5 goals and 2 assists in 40 appearances for Tranmere.

He seems a typical winger; not physically that big or strong and isn't a battler or offer anything defensively, but direct, quick, creative and likes to take on his man. I've read he does quite a lot of dribbles and get a lot of crosses in per game. He also looks quite a good finisher when he gets in shooting positions amd seemed to take free kicks and corners for Burton in the clips i've seen.

He's left footed, has been used on either flank but has most often over his career been used on the right wing cutting in onto his favoured foot which is what Maloney seems to favour based on last season.

So on paper looks quite promising. The fact that he seemed to do relatively well in a long ball team where he was probably spending most of the game watching the ball fly over his head, he may be a better fit in the style Maloney is looking to play.

General highlight from Oldham days

Scoring some goals for Burton, he's no11.

Rotherham apparently trying to sign Tiehi. Would be a good signing for them, but a little surprised no other clubs higher up the division seem to be taking an interst.

I think moving Richardson on was the right call, but maybe if we'd have hired a competent replacement they'd have picked Hughes anyway and we'd have not had to endure the worst manager in Latics history with Toure to see Hughes get a chance.
Because they went for his high profile name. Maloney came second in the interview stage. Hindsight!!

Because they went for his high profile name. Maloney came second in the interview stage. Hindsight!!

We didn't need any hindsight to know Toure was a terrible appointment at the time. But i don't think they cared he was such a bad fit they wanted him for who he was regardless and just hope it magically works out.

Sometimes you appoint someone good on paper and it just doesn't work, but this one was a bad choice on paper from the start as he he didn't tick a single box that we were looking for and what's worse is he cost more money than all of the better options. All of the board deserved sacking for his appointment alone.

I'm afraid if we want to be sustainable, these are the sort of calibre players we'll be signing. Gone are the days of signing proven top League One players, the only way we'll get those now are through the loan market, our academy, or signing lower/non league gems who make the step up.