Summer transfer thread | Page 56 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

It being a one-year deal makes it almost like a season loan in a way.

If we go down, he'll probably leave. If he impresses, we will probably have a hard time fending off other Championship clubs to sign him on a new deal (as Blackburn clearly did).

I guess that's a problem for down the road though. For now Nyambe is a strong addition and another 3 or 4 players of a similar calibre would put us in an excellent position to at least survive this season.

If we're going to attract players with Championship experience, we'll likely have to accept that they will probably only accept one year deals until we establish ourself in the division. Because all of them at the moment will see us as a team fighting relegation and will want to insure themselves should we go down.

I have to say I find it so intriguing how Cook and Richardson are so similar on many aspects of managing a squad/tactics etc, but are polar opposites when it comes to full backs. Cook wants his full-backs attacking at every possible opportunity, creating opportunities whilst Richardson wants full-backs whose primary strengths are defending.

If we go down, he'll probably leave. If he impresses, we will probably have a hard time fending off other Championship clubs to sign him on a new deal (as Blackburn clearly did).

I guess that's a problem for down the road though. For now Nyambe is a strong addition and another 3 or 4 players of a similar calibre would put us in an excellent position to at least survive this season.

I strongly suspect the 'initial 1 year deal' rather than just a '1 year deal' means his contract will role over another year if we want it to / stay up. Basically same as we just did with McClean- it wasn't a renegotiation but a option to extend built into his original deal activated.

Most players and clubs seem to be moving to shorter deals with extensions built on these days to try and avoid situations like we now have with Jones.

Still like to see Fossey on tuther side for flair down both wings.

I still would love Fossy too as I think we need a strong attacking wing back as well as a good defensive one. But i cant see us signing a third right back and at the moment it looks like Fulham aren't keen on letting him go and I think that may be why we got Nyambe instead.

If we're going to attract players with Championship experience, we'll likely have to accept that they will probably only accept one year deals until we establish ourself in the division. Because all of them at the moment will see us as a team fighting relegation and will want to insure themselves should we go down.

I have to say I find it so intriguing how Cook and Richardson are so similar on many aspects of managing a squad/tactics etc, but are polar opposites when it comes to full backs. Cook wants his full-backs attacking at every possible opportunity, creating opportunities whilst Richardson wants full-backs whose primary strengths are defending.

That is a fair enough & valid post CL. The MAIN GOAL this season is to basically stay in this division. After that, then we can start to build.

Maybe as Leam was a fullback himself his ideas are a bit fixed of what a fullbacks job is

There may be an option we can take out or that is automatically triggered if we stay up. It's low risk for the club and the player. We don't get lumbered with a big wage in League One and he can try to find another championship club if he desires.

Scott Smith has signed a new deal today and Luke Robinson out on loan for a year with Tranmere.

Perfect loan that for Robinson. He needed game time and the U23s is no longer sufficient grounds to judge whether or not he can be a regular first teamer for us, he needed a loan with senior football. If he impresses out there he could challenge for a first team spot when he returns as Bennett is in final year of his deal.

The new two year deal for Robinson covers us across all eventualities too. If we are relegated back to League One and he impresses at Tranmere, we could have a left back ready for us in Robinson to use rather than having to dip into the transfer market and we wouldnt have to negotiate a new deal with him.

Exciting stuff, hope there are loans for Smith and possibly another youngster or two coming up as well (Sze and Tickle) two that come to mind

Scott Smith has signed a new deal today and Luke Robinson out on loan for a year with Tranmere.

Perfect loan that for Robinson. He needed game time and the U23s is no longer sufficient grounds to judge whether or not he can be a regular first teamer for us, he needed a loan with senior football. If he impresses out there he could challenge for a first team spot when he returns as Bennett is in final year of his deal.

The new two year deal for Robinson covers us across all eventualities too. If we are relegated back to League One and he impresses at Tranmere, we could have a left back ready for us in Robinson to use rather than having to dip into the transfer market and we wouldnt have to negotiate a new deal with him.

Exciting stuff, hope there are loans for Smith and possibly another youngster or two coming up as well (Sze and Tickle) two that come to mind

Good post!

Smith is apparently wanted by Rochdale on loan, hopefully he can go there or an L1 team as he needs to be playing too.

Just read on Twitter a new rumour we are one of many Championship clubs looking at Southampton young midfielder Will Smallbone on loan.

Can't say i know anything about him or how credible that is but apparently there is a lot of competition for his signature.

Just read on Twitter a new rumour we are one of many Championship clubs looking at Southampton young midfielder Will Smallbone on loan.

Can't say i know anything about him or how credible that is but apparently there is a lot of competition for his signature.
I know he has a very funny name!

Yanic Wildschut signed for Oxford.

It's been a few years since i last saw him, so not sure what he's like these days and if he still has that electric pace. But if he still has that he'll be a tremendous signing for them in L1.
Surely he is not as quick as he once was. How old is he now?

Last edited:
Isn’t it refreshing not having everyone on this board frothing at the mouth following Alan Nixon’s latest teasing? I imagine we are waiting to pick up some half decent kids from Premier League clubs who are way down the pecking order

Man City looking at buying Jedi. Numbers being banded about is around £50m

We have a sell on clause. Apparently around the 20% mark