Summer transfer thread | Page 57 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Man City looking at buying Jedi. Numbers being banded about is around £50m

We have a sell on clause. Apparently around the 20% mark
They want Cucurella from Brighton and aren't willing to pay £50m for him. I suspect you may have been fed guff info.

I've seen people tout Naby Sarr as a potential free-agent target at CB after leaving Huddersfield. He's off to Reading, as is a midfielder who made 30+ appearances in La Liga last season.

... And they're supposed to be relegation rivals! o_O

Last edited:
I've seen people tout Naby Sarr as a potential free-agent target at CB after leaving Huddersfield. He's off to Reading, as is a midfielder who made 30+ appearances in La Liga last season.

Frustrating news that. We need another CB and if we didnt put in a bid for Sarr given his release by Huddersfield & fact he has in past been a regular at Championship level for 2/3 seasons then that could be a missed opportunity on our part. Especially as he was a free agent after his release by Huddersfield and in Reading he is going to a team who are likely to be in and around us this season at the lower end of the Championship table.

Really would have been in favour of pursuring a deal for Sarr tbh especially on a free transfer. Could have left us after the signing of Nyambe several loan spots free to maybe pursue another midfielder, another wide player and another striker

Mamadou Loum is the rumoured CM with 30 plus La Liga games last season for Alaves on loan from Porto who were relegated from La Liga. AFCON winner with Senegal. Obviously every signing is a gamble but you would suspect someone signed from a side playing top flight football will be quite good for a side at lower end of Championship

Mamadou Loum is the rumoured CM with 30 plus La Liga games last season for Alaves on loan from Porto who were relegated from La Liga. AFCON winner with Senegal. Obviously every signing is a gamble but you would suspect someone signed from a side playing top flight football will be quite good for a side at lower end of Championship

A few Championship sides - and not all ones with lots of cash - have been tapping into the European market lately. Smart and as Reading are proving (even though it’s only a loan) you can pickup a decent player when the Premier League equivalent would cost millions.

Not to say we definitely aren’t since we can’t know for sure, but you can’t help but feel like we’re dedicating resources in the wrong areas by trying to aggressively pursue (if you believe Egyptian media reports) a big-money deal for a young goalkeeper in Egypt who probably won’t even get a permit and might not even start if he did.

Did anyone see The Sunday People Championship review yesterday? I had a quick scan in the supermarket yesterday & aside from having us struggling but saying Sunderland wouldn't coz they're a big club it mentioned out big summer signing - can't for the life of me remember who it was but I've certainly never heard of them. It was Nyambe & it wasn't this Egyptian keeper we're supposedly after but it was an Arabic/African sounding name from what I can recall
Just wondering if anyone else read it & what the hell their name was

Did anyone see The Sunday People Championship review yesterday? I had a quick scan in the supermarket yesterday & aside from having us struggling but saying Sunderland wouldn't coz they're a big club it mentioned out big summer signing - can't for the life of me remember who it was but I've certainly never heard of them. It was Nyambe & it wasn't this Egyptian keeper we're supposedly after but it was an Arabic/African sounding name from what I can recall
It was that young goalkeeper that we signed from torquay?... matt wonnacott

According to the people Matt Wonnacott was Wigan's big name signing. The other clubs are quaking in their boots ;)

When you look around the league we appear to have both the least ins and outs and I think that is deliberate.

I've seen various members of our hierarchy talk about the importance of continuity and I think there is a philosophy that what we may gain by trying to recruit better players we may lose what we already have in this group. Which by all accounts is an exceptional dressing room, work ethic and spirit. I think there is a mindfulness over doing a Caldwell and signing too many players too quickly, taking apart what got you up and ending up worse off for spending more money.

With the amount of changes at other clubs and the lack of changes here we are probably one of the most cohesive sides with no gelling, no settling in and everyone knows exactly what their role is and is experienced in performing it. I think we believe the spirit, mentality and momentum from last season can be carried over.

If you look at how we played last season we were often relying on out running, out battling, out working teams rather than out playing them and it looks like we plan to keep that approach. With that in mind we are probably not looking to upgrade individual players quality unless they have the other attributes we know our current players have.

It's not a case of you don't try and sign anyone, but there are loads of decent players we could've had but it seems like we only want players who are a massive trade up on what we have.

If that is the case it is very bold and one of those that if it works it'll look a masterstroke but if it doesn't it'll look like you were asking for trouble.

The other thing is we have another month after the start of the season before the window shuts, so if we start badly we will have a chance to bring in reinforcements.

I'm not saying this approach is right or wrong as we'll not know until we see how it works. But I get the impression that could be the reason for our quiet summer.

When you look around the league we appear to have both the least ins and outs and I think that is deliberate.

I've seen various members of our hierarchy talk about the importance of continuity and I think there is a philosophy that what we may gain by trying to recruit better players we may lose what we already have in this group. Which by all accounts is an exceptional dressing room, work ethic and spirit. I think there is a mindfulness over doing a Caldwell and signing too many players too quickly, taking apart what got you up and ending up worse off for spending more money.

With the amount of changes at other clubs and the lack of changes here we are probably one of the most cohesive sides with no gelling, no settling in and everyone knows exactly what their role is and is experienced in performing it. I think we believe the spirit, mentality and momentum from last season can be carried over.

If you look at how we played last season we were often relying on out running, out battling, out working teams rather than out playing them and it looks like we plan to keep that approach. With that in mind we are probably not looking to upgrade individual players quality unless they have the other attributes we know our current players have.

It's not a case of you don't try and sign anyone, but there are loads of decent players we could've had but it seems like we only want players who are a massive trade up on what we have.

If that is the case it is very bold and one of those that if it works it'll look a masterstroke but if it doesn't it'll look like you were asking for trouble.

The other thing is we have another month after the start of the season before the window shuts, so if we start badly we will have a chance to bring in reinforcements.

I'm not saying this approach is right or wrong as we'll not know until we see how it works. But I get the impression that could be the reason for our quiet summer.

Great points.

Another factor could be that we're doubling down on the young talent that we do possess and banking on their continued individual development to correlate with sustained (relative) success in the Championship.

Thelo, Lang, Humphrys, Pearce, Whatmough, Kerr, McGrath and now Nyambe are all 25 years or younger.

That's not even including the U-23s/U-18s who are not too far away from breaking into the squad.

Every new player brought in could possibly threaten their upwards trajectory.

It might be deliberate, but not for the reasons stated above. No one is mindful of what happened under Gary Caldwell because not one staff member from that period is still at the club. It is more to do with the fact that we can't afford the wages flying about and that we are right at the bottom of the totem-pole in terms of attracting players. That'll include loanees as well, everyone saying that we are waiting for such players to become available from Premier League clubs, but at the end of the day, we play an aesthetically unpleasing style of football under a manager with little to no contacts within the Premier League sides. So we'll be right at the bottom of the list when it comes to loan destinations as well with pretty much every other Championship club bar Rotherham and Birmingham a more attractive destination.

Troy Parrott for example, would have been an ideal acquisition but is off to Preston, as is the Man Utd Under 23s player of the year. We've heard a lot of moans on this thread about "why we were not in for this player". I'd suggest we probably were in for a number of players suggested but have been unsuccessful in our pursuits. This is the reality of a newly promoted Championship club on home gates of sub 10k without away fans boosting the numbers.

It might be deliberate, but not for the reasons stated above. No one is mindful of what happened under Gary Caldwell because not one staff member from that period is still at the club. It is more to do with the fact that we can't afford the wages flying about and that we are right at the bottom of the totem-pole in terms of attracting players. That'll include loanees as well, everyone saying that we are waiting for such players to become available from Premier League clubs, but at the end of the day, we play an aesthetically unpleasing style of football under a manager with little to no contacts within the Premier League sides. So we'll be right at the bottom of the list when it comes to loan destinations as well with pretty much every other Championship club bar Rotherham and Birmingham a more attractive destination.

Troy Parrott for example, would have been an ideal acquisition but is off to Preston, as is the Man Utd Under 23s player of the year. We've heard a lot of moans on this thread about "why we were not in for this player". I'd suggest we probably were in for a number of players suggested but have been unsuccessful in our pursuits. This is the reality of a newly promoted Championship club on home gates of sub 10k without away fans boosting the numbers.
I would hope Leam would have at least one friend at Chelsea who may put a good word in for us. I don’t think we need to panic. As said above by NYC we have some real potential which could flourish in the Championship this season. I would like to give them a chance to prove that theory right and if a decent player becomes available in the next six weeks add in what we can

This wasn't Youseff Chentiff was it. Young lad who signed first pro terms recently and looks handy.

There is not one club who signed the number of players we did last season, the majority of the time a club has various players on different lengths of contract and different time spent at the club. In our case only 1 or 2 senior players have been here more than one season.
I believe this is a big part of why we have not signed players along with the probable aim of not disrupting the spirit of the squad. But I still think we will sign another 3 players, probably on loan but may be an additional one with Cousins’ injury

... under a manager with little to no contacts within the Premier League sides.....

:hmmm:

... yeah, you're right ... so long as we don't count Anthony Barry (ex Tics coach now with Chelsea), Nick Colgan (ex Tics coach now with Forest), Eddie Howe (through reporting on Kell Watts' loan from Newcastle), working previously under both Sam Allardyce and Roy Hodgson (admittedly both now not employed in the Prem), plus not forgetting of course, James Beattie's contacts at Southampton, Everton, Rangers and Leeds.

I'll be honest, I've no idea if he cultivates any of those contacts, or indeed, how many more he might have (David Weir at Brighton for example, through the transfer of Jensen, or Bielsa at Leeds though keeping tabs on Joffy), but I'm certainly not going to think that he doesn't have any, just because I don't know about them!

:hmmm:

... yeah, you're right ... so long as we don't count Anthony Barry (ex Tics coach now with Chelsea), Nick Colgan (ex Tics coach now with Forest), Eddie Howe (through reporting on Kell Watts' loan from Newcastle), working previously under both Sam Allardyce and Roy Hodgson (admittedly both now not employed in the Prem), plus not forgetting of course, James Beattie's contacts at Southampton, Everton, Rangers and Leeds.

I'll be honest, I've no idea if he cultivates any of those contacts, or indeed, how many more he might have (David Weir at Brighton for example, through the transfer of Jensen, or Bielsa at Leeds though keeping tabs on Joffy), but I'm certainly not going to think that he doesn't have any, just because I don't know about them!

Football contacts come from everywhere. Playing days, loan players, meeting other managers in the directors box or whilst scouting. He has the personality ti make contacts and will have many from weird and wonderful sources. Perkins studied his early coaching badges with Paul Warne but it's not a connection you would otherwise make

Football contacts come from everywhere. Playing days, loan players, meeting other managers in the directors box or whilst scouting. He has the personality ti make contacts and will have many from weird and wonderful sources. Perkins studied his early coaching badges with Paul Warne but it's not a connection you would otherwise make

Also Antony Barry and Frank Lampard did their badges together and look what happened there.

I don't think they are specifically thinking about what happened with Caldwell, but the situation that occurred which is a universal thing. I mentioned Caldwell as it demonstrated the scenario rather than the hierarchy recalling it.

Money of course is a factor, but if we are apparently offering more money than Blackburn and Boro for Nyambe then we probably aren't offering low wages either.

Signing players is easy if you set your sights too low and very hard if you set your sights too high. It seems like we have set our sights very high and only time will tell how good a decision that is.