Summer transfer thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

A bit harsh but the bloke does have a point, LR has done a tremendous job this season and last, but the step up to the championship is huge, the cracks are starting to show of late against mediocre L1 clubs with the tactics deployed by Leam.

Can't see us getting higher than the bottom six next season if LR is at the helm then around February Talal will panic and fire him anyway.

Edit...You only have to look at Sunderland's score against Cambridge yesterday, Cambridge pasted us!

What are you Taking T&C? I don't see anything wrong with finishing in the bottom 6, as long as we finish top or second in that mini league as Steve Bruce used to say.

We are struggling against (as you say) mediocre league 1 sides due to a number of factors:

a) Those lads are knackered & running on empty after months of playing Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday.

b) Those "mediocre" sides have nothing to play for so can relax.

c) Nerves are probably creeping into the players, management etc, yet we are still grinding out results to keep us top of the league.

d) Yes, admittedly we were poor vs Cambridge. But for a last minute world class save we'd have salvaged a draw. Yesterday's result would have seen us promoted. Therefore we could relax for the next 2 games.

We are technically up. However, we go again Tuesday night!

If MK don’t make it up I’d definitely be looking at their squad. Twine and Darling would probably be out of our price range, but Kasumu you’d hope would be affordable. They also have a clutch of good loan players who are surely ready for Championship football like the goalkeeper, Coventry or Kesler Hayden.

Speaking of Twine, he was the player who scored those goals against us for Swindon the final day of last season. MK got him for free that summer as their Scott Fraser replacement. That is how we need to go about our recruitment moving forward. Sell big, identify and recruit cheap.

To be honest, no one from Plymouth truly impressed me yesterday. The goalkeeper made a wonderful double save but other than him no one else really stood out. They clearly missed Camara in midfield.

Last edited:
And yet Sunderland battered us 3 times, we lost twice to Sheff Wed and MK Dons at home
fanny owld gaime

Absolutely ... and I know which position I'd rather be in.

They get bigger crowds too ... wouldn't you have thought they'd be given more points for that !

:LOL:

Absolutely ... and I know which position I'd rather be in.

They get bigger crowds too ... wouldn't you have thought they'd be given more points for that !

:LOL:

No I wouldent say that Tony as it's not in the rules, but what I would say is I would much rather watch the way Sunderland and MK Dons play than the turgid stuff Leam plays. Oh and please dont say but were top we are talking about styles of football

His tactics are boring and we are not good to watch

We've played some great stuff, we've played some boring stuff, we've (occasionally) played some shite stuff. The thing is though, we've continued to get the points however we've played.

These last 4 games is our worst run of the season ... and yet we're (to all intent and purpose) promoted with two games to go.

If anyone hasn't enjoyed watching us this season, then I truly feel sorry for them. I suppose the lesson is, if you want to watch free flowing football, then go and watch Sheff Weds, ... or Sunderland ... or MK Dons ... or any of the other teams who are going to finish with fewer points than us ... and will probably still be playing in League 1 next season.

His tactics are boring and we are not good to watch

You’re beginning to sound like owd fat head in Horwich. We have played effectively to get results and get out of this league. I’m not entirely sure what is boring about that.

We have been hampered since November by the loss of two key players in Wyke and Cousins. The last time they played together was the tattering of Bowton. We’ve adapted since to get (hopefully) the job done. Cousins returned yesterday, was motm and we played well. No reason why Leam won’t decide to adopt a different system next season if we go up given there will inevitably be new players brought in.

You’re beginning to sound like owd fat head in Horwich. We have played effectively to get results and get out of this league. I’m not entirely sure what is boring about that.

We have been hampered since November by the loss of two key players in Wyke and Cousins. The last time they played together was the tattering of Bowton. We’ve adapted since to get (hopefully) the job done. Cousins returned yesterday, was motm and we played well. No reason why Leam won’t decide to adopt a different system next season if we go up given there will inevitably be new players brought in.

I know I sound critical, but we have some good players, and it frustrates me watching us play this way. I have been saying this all season, not just now. Leam is in a unique position of being the darling of the crowd and seen as a hero for staying with us, but if he had come into the job like others have done previously I guarantee he would have had is fair share of stick this season.

We have a group of players who have stuck together. And all pulling the same way. That’s for sure Entertaining no it’s not been. The chairman now will need to put his hand in is pocket now.

I know I sound critical, but we have some good players, and it frustrates me watching us play this way. I have been saying this all season, not just now. Leam is in a unique position of being the darling of the crowd and seen as a hero for staying with us, but if he had come into the job like others have done previously I guarantee he would have had is fair share of stick this season.

I’ve no issue with you being critical, it’s a forum after all. However I don’t get your rationale Zakky. He took over from Sheridan when we were rock bottom as a club. Against all the odds and all the obstacles in our way he somehow kept us up. He then had to assemble a squad given we only had a handful of players and now has us top with only a point needed from two games to guarantee promotion. So yes he is the darling of the crowd with good reason in my opinion

I’ve no issue with you being critical, it’s a forum after all. However I don’t get your rationale Zakky. He took over from Sheridan when we were rock bottom as a club. Against all the odds and all the obstacles in our way he somehow kept us up. He then had to assemble a squad given we only had a handful of players and now has us top with only a point needed from two games to guarantee promotion. So yes he is the darling of the crowd with good reason in my opinion

Yes your right in everything you say I guess I just want us to play good football

Yes your right in everything you say I guess I just want us to play good football

All the examples of "good" football people have given come from teams that have been together for a while and played a consistent system and style.

Unfortunately we are not in that position.

This side was brought together at the beginning of the season, have suffered long term injuries to key players, had little or no time on the training ground due to a fixture pile up and took time learning each others games.

Good football will come but you have to be patient and give the manager and players time to develop a style and system for the club. Had we not been placed into admin and had to break up what was a settled and very promising squad I have no doubt the style of football being played would be different.