Summer transfer thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Either we are skint or using the money to invest outside the players, very risky expecting this team to stay up without investment, the squad wasn’t exactly smashing teams in league one and struggled for results in many games, will be a very tough ask for the lads, especially considering we don’t know if our main goal scorers will adapt at this level.[/QUOTE Wouldnt say skint. But would say no spare cash. Nothing realy being spent on the stadium if you have a walk around it looks tatty

l.[/QUOTE

Wouldnt say skint. But would say no spare cash. Nothing realy being spent on the stadium if you have a walk around it looks tatty

They cant do everything in 12 months

I understand those types of things can take time, but the initial investment I’m sure is either ready to be spent and put aside or has done, especially the seating where we have a brief window where it can be done, I do think it may be possible for us to do that during the World Cup as I understand the championship pauses too.

l.[/QUOTE

Wouldnt say skint. But would say no spare cash. Nothing realy being spent on the stadium if you have a walk around it looks tatty

They cant do everything in 12 months
We know that. Have you walked past both ends that keep getting the windows smashed. Awful and not on about the windows just looks run down

Uh oh! Cue the message board getting over excited tomorrow

Let the frenzy begin......

Wigan Athletic youngster Scott Smith is wanted by Rochdale on a season-long loan deal, The Sun reporter Alan Nixon has stated on his Patreon. (which I presume is another social media platform for Taffy to subscribe too)

Let the frenzy begin......

Wigan Athletic youngster Scott Smith is wanted by Rochdale on a season-long loan deal, The Sun reporter Alan Nixon has stated on his Patreon. (which I presume is another social media platform for Taffy to subscribe too)

Will be a good loan for him to get some first team experience, many rumours will be outgoings until the loan market opens up where we can do some gambles on some youngsters, if we can provide their wage mind you.

If that is all Nixon has to offer then he clearly isn’t being kept in the loop anymore for the goings on at Latics. He probably got that story about Smith from the Rochdale end. I hope we keep all our business quiet until we have something to announce.

If that is all Nixon has to offer then he clearly isn’t being kept in the loop anymore for the goings on at Latics. He probably got that story about Smith from the Rochdale end. I hope we keep all our business quiet until we have something to announce.

true, or maybe that is all what is happening atm, but I’m thinking there will be more pre season fixtures too as 4 is not much at all, maybe there are some in Spain we are not aware of yet, but Spain would have been a good time to have a player in to get to know the squad

I may be wrong in this and, if we are being honest, everything being posted is simply speculation at this point but from the comments attributed to Leam in the last week it would seem to me that he would be happy to start the season using predominantly the same squad from last season.

I am not implying that there won't be new signings as obviously there are players to replace who were on loan and who have ended their contract but I get the impression that these new players will not automatically fit into the first eleven. They will have to earn the right to displace those who played last season and therefore do not need to be in place immediately.

It would not surprise me then if we do not see new arrivals coming in over the next week or two as I think the club will exercise restraint and seek to find players who fit the stated aims of the new owners in that they are young and can be improved to command a higher sell on fee.

I see this season as a stabilisation period and get the impression that LR considers the players we have are good enough to bring that stability. I know there are those that want to see the club push on and there are also those that say the players we have are not Championship quality and therefore want to see a plethora of new arrivals but I honestly cannot see that happening.

As I said initially, I may be wrong and only time will tell.

I was told a few weeks ago that Crewe would be hosting us in late July, but nothing has been announced….?
Still awaiting some friendlies to be announced other than the four that were announced earlier. Doesn't seem nowhere near enough considering the squad size. No home games yet either.

It would be incredibly arrogant of us as a club to assume we can stay up with more or less the same squad as last season. Or very bold at the least. If there's just no money for it then fair enough but if it's a conscious strategy decision to maintain the status quo then I do worry a lot about it backfiring.

Nobody's asking to break the bank, nobody's asking for 10 new signings but we of all clubs know just how big the leap in quality is from League One to the Championship. I still feel we're 4 or 5 good additions away from being competitive against most teams in the league and I don't think that's pessimistic, just realistic having seen us fall well short in 16/17 and scrape by in 18/19 and 19/20 even with signings.

On the scale I'd say I'm more optimistic than most in the fanbase typically but I can't help but have a bad feeling about Leam (supposedly) playing down the need for signings at the fixture launch. The staff certainly can't take this approach then complain about a lack of options and the quality of opposition we're facing every week if we have a slow start to the season that's for sure.

It would be incredibly arrogant of us as a club to assume we can stay up with more or less the same squad as last season. Or very bold at the least. If there's just no money for it then fair enough but if it's a conscious strategy decision to maintain the status quo then I do worry a lot about it backfiring.

Nobody's asking to break the bank, nobody's asking for 10 new signings but we of all clubs know just how big the leap in quality is from League One to the Championship. I still feel we're 4 or 5 good additions away from being competitive against most teams in the league and I don't think that's pessimistic, just realistic having seen us fall well short in 16/17 and scrape by in 18/19 and 19/20 even with signings.

On the scale I'd say I'm more optimistic than most in the fanbase typically but I can't help but have a bad feeling about Leam (supposedly) playing down the need for signings at the fixture launch. The staff certainly can't take this approach then complain about a lack of options and the quality of opposition we're facing every week if we have a slow start to the season that's for sure.

Exactly way im feeling at the moment HudWiganFan. As has been mentioned before, June is a notoriously hard month as players only back in pre season training next week and contracts only just expiring now.

However we have had an idea about which Championship players have been on clubs' released lists for a long time now and i think its disappointing not to have gotten at least one new signing through the door for the senior squad. Some players released by even clubs ranked 7th to 12th in the Championship last season would have been good pick ups for us. I accept focusing on youth should be our target going forward but we need to stabilise in the Championship first and foremost and we will need experienced additions alongside youth to do that.

Like you im concerned at this 'these players got us up last season so we will keep the faith' line. We arguably got promoted a season ahead of schedule as im sure when we were bought that the target was two seasons to get to the Championship. So the plan in a way has changed. Plus at latter end of last season we saw some issues manifest themselves with certain parts of the squad. These issues i fear will be exposed more against an overall much higher calibre of opposition each week next season.

I just hope we get some signings done soon (we dont need loads as alluded to), but we do need some new additions in certain areas (right back, striker, centre back, winger) otherwise im a little fearful going into the new season. Plus im never a fan of deadline day or January window signings. I know we are trying to avoid panic buying now but you panic buy on deadline day or in January.

Last edited:
I'm sensing the Talal/Leam honeymoon period is coming to a close.

Why on earth would you think that? ... and who are you implying will fall out of favour with whom?

Seems to me that just about everything Leam's asked for, he's got.

By the same token, Talal must have been delighted with Leam last season. I can't see that anything's happened since to suggest that delight will soon be brought to an end.

We clearly have faith in the squad we have built and arent looking to heavily rebuild it but there will be a number of new signings and behind the scenes we will be very busy.

The season we went into admin we had identical threads at this time of year worrying. Our first signing was Marshall in mid July after the preseason camp and when we had started friendlies. We went on to sign quite a few high quality players for 7m+ money.

Season before that we were worrying too but signed a few on the eve of first game then by deadline day spent about 6m.

We all know since Phoenix arrived Nixon hasn't got the sources he once did so i wouldn't worry the lack of stories from him indicate we aren't working on anything.

You've got to be patient as so many players aren't available yet but will become so later in the window.

Exactly way im feeling at the moment HudWiganFan. As has been mentioned before, June is a notoriously hard month as players only back in pre season training next month and contracts only just expiring now.

However we have had an idea about which Championship players have been on clubs' released lists for a long time now and i think its disappointing not to have gotten at least one new signing through the door for the senior squad. Some players released by even clubs ranked 7th to 12th in the Championship last season would have been good pick ups for us. I accept focusing on youth should be our target going forward but we need to stabilise in the Championship first and foremost and we will need experienced additions alongside youth to do that.

Like you im concerned at this 'these players got us up last season so we will keep the faith' line. We arguably got promoted a season ahead of schedule as im sure when we were bought that the target was two seasons to get to the Championship. So the plan in a way has changed. Plus at latter end of last season we saw some issues manifest themselves with certain parts of the squad. These issues i fear will be exposed more against an overall much higher calibre of opposition each week next season.

I just hope we get some signings done soon (we dont need loads as alluded to), but we do need some new additions in certain areas (right back, striker, centre back, winger) otherwise im a little fearful going into the new season. Plus im never a fan of deadline day or January window signings. I know we are trying to avoid panic buying now but you panic buy on deadline day or in January.

As you say there's no room for sentiment in this game. The squad did a great job getting us up but so did the 15/16 team and we were 15 points or so adrift the following season. The 17/18 team crushed League One a bit more convincingly than we did last season I'd say and we barely stayed up the next season by about 4 or 5 points (even after some strong signings like James, Kipre, the returning Lee Evans and Garner who got us some crucial goals that season.)

I don't think we dominated the league enough for us last season to say our current squad will get the job done alone. The last few games like you mentioned exposed a few flaws that Championship clubs - even the bottom-half ones - will ruthlessly exploit as we well know from the endless late defeats in the last couple of Championship campaigns.

And I'm not a big fan of January either - or the very end of the summer window for that matter. It's all well and good saying the window's open until the end of August, but we saw how long it took Jason Kerr for example to get a look-in joining on the deadline with an already settled team who'd been together through pre-season and into the first 7 or 8 games of the campaign - months! Bennett too although that might've been more injury-related.

Leam made a point of emphasising how important getting players in early for the pre-season trip (in Scotland last year) was for team chemistry but it clearly hasn't worked out that way this season for whatever reason. Maybe it's simply because we can't compete for players but if it's a deliberate choice it seems strange to do a complete a U-turn on the philosophy Leam and co. emphasised the importance of this time last year.