Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 5 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Depends who is available and at what cost
True, but even allowing for that we didn't seem to make a great fist of replacing Bridcutt with Sanders, Sorenson, Oakley-Boothe and Davenport all brought in (Fiorini had a spell back there, too. Bishop isn't a proper '6', nor was Grant when he stood in but did a half decent job).

Virtue was the closest we got (or did he sign in the same window at Erhahon?).

If we do lose Erhahon, and I think he'd be better served with another full season here anyway, we could do without taking as long to replace him as we did with Bridcutt.
Or with replacing Grant, which we still haven’t done with Bishop’s injury issues and inconsistency.

Looking at the current central midfield it's much more balanced, or would be if everyone was fit.
Holding midfielders, Hamilton and Erahahon. Plus McGrandles in loan
Then your attacking options of Bishop, Moylan and Mandriou .
Have missed anyone?

Lincoln City are set to battle with Oxford United for the signing of Dunfermline defender Josh Edwards this summer according to Pete O’Rourke of Football Insider.

Or with replacing Grant, which we still haven’t done with Bishop’s injury issues and inconsistency.
I think your memory of Jorge Grant is a bit wavered Mike. For much of his Imps career he was inconsistent . He joined as a show pony winger who flattered to deceive and only fulfilled his potential over one season under MApp when he had Johnson and Rogers ahead of him and Bridcutt behind him and McGranny to do his running alongside him. I honestly value Bishop higher, I suspect his injury record isn’t much different to Grants and his contribution over the length of his contract is better.
I think you have an unhealthy dislike for one of the best Imps to wear the shirt considering the level we are now playing.

I think your memory of Jorge Grant is a bit wavered Mike. For much of his Imps career he was inconsistent . He joined as a show pony winger who flattered to deceive and only fulfilled his potential over one season under MApp when he had Johnson and Rogers ahead of him and Bridcutt behind him and McGranny to do his running alongside him. I honestly value Bishop higher, I suspect his injury record isn’t much different to Grants and his contribution over the length of his contract is better.
I think you have an unhealthy dislike for one of the best Imps to wear the shirt considering the level we are now playing.

Very much respect your opinion John, which I know is shared by others.

I thought Grant in his last 18 months with us showed far better form and ability than Bishop has ever consistently shown. Although I agree Grant had a year before that when he showed little.

I definitely do not dislike Bishop, and I think he has had more good games (mainly as a substitute) this season under Skoobs than he has done under other managers during his three years here.

I just think he has the talent and ability to do so much more. At 27 and with over 200 league appearances, he is the senior midfielder on our books. But when he starts he never looks as though he can dominate a game against good opposition. Against the weaker teams, yes, when there is space in midfieldl he does really well.

For example, I was disappointed in him when he had to play Erhahan's role against Orient. He just seemed lost in that role.

Personally I think the proof is that if/when all our midfielders are fit (Hamilton, McGrandles, Erhana, Moylan, Mandroiu), Bishop would struggle to be a first choice. It would also not be up-in-the-air about whether he is going to get another contract in the summer. His being one of our top earners may play a part in that decision.

Anyway football - and this board - are all about opinions. That is what makes the game so great. We (and me) all need Bishop to show his very best form over the next few weeks. Midfield is going to be the key in my view to us getting that play off spot, and Bishiop can play a huge role in that. And I sincerely hope he does!

Just because he was played out of position by the Cowleys as a "show pony winger", that doesn't mean that that was his preferred position.

Based on a cursory glance at his pre-Lincoln career, it seems he wasn't being played as a "show pony winger". It took Appleton to really get the best out of him in his favoured central position.

Just because he was played out of position by the Cowleys as a "show pony winger", that doesn't mean that that was his preferred position.

Based on a cursory glance at his pre-Lincoln career, it seems he wasn't being played as a "show pony winger". It took Appleton to really get the best out of him in his favoured central position.
He was a show pony winger at Forest, Notts County, Mansfield and Luton. Pretty successful at times but a show pony winger none the less. Totally agree about the MApp effect

Jorge Grant in his last season here was probably the best player I've seen at Lincoln. It's not doing Bishop a disservice to say that we haven't fully replaced Grant, just like it's not doing Reeco a disservice to say he hasn't quite replaced Brennan Johnson.

Very much respect your opinion John, which I know is shared by others.

I thought Grant in his last 18 months with us showed far better form and ability than Bishop has ever consistently shown. Although I agree Grant had a year before that when he showed little.

I definitely do not dislike Bishop, and I think he has had more good games (mainly as a substitute) this season under Skoobs than he has done under other managers during his three years here.

I just think he has the talent and ability to do so much more. At 27 and with over 200 league appearances, he is the senior midfielder on our books. But when he starts he never looks as though he can dominate a game against good opposition. Against the weaker teams, yes, when there is space in midfieldl he does really well.

For example, I was disappointed in him when he had to play Erhahan's role against Orient. He just seemed lost in that role.

Personally I think the proof is that if/when all our midfielders are fit (Hamilton, McGrandles, Erhana, Moylan, Mandroiu), Bishop would struggle to be a first choice. It would also not be up-in-the-air about whether he is going to get another contract in the summer. His being one of our top earners may play a part in that decision.

Anyway football - and this board - are all about opinions. That is what makes the game so great. We (and me) all need Bishop to show his very best form over the next few weeks. Midfield is going to be the key in my view to us getting that play off spot, and Bishiop can play a huge role in that. And I sincerely hope he does!
All about opinions Mike and that’s fair enough. Personally, from all our midfielders you’ve mentioned, after Erhahon I would pick Bishop every time. There was a moment on Saturday at Reading when Teddy got possession through an interception deep in our half. He dipped his shoulder to sell a dummy and left his marker flat footed. A single moment in the match but it brought a murmur of appreciation from those who witnessed and had a good view of it and it’s moments like that from talented players like that which I remember most.

Grant was never a winger, too slow and not decisive enough. He was perfectly suited to CM with a DM next to him.

Ted has finally replaced him, once managers decided to play him in his best position (a cross between Grant and McGrandles).

Yes, Grant was really good in his last season with us, but I still think it was his partnership with Tayo Edun that helped. Edun developed massively as a player that season and, with Grant, the two of them built a superb understanding down the left, both defensively and especially attacking.

He was a show pony winger at Forest, Notts County, Mansfield and Luton. Pretty successful at times but a show pony winger none the less. Totally agree about the MApp effect
Weird that this "show pony winger" was playing behind the front 2 in the few matches I look at for Mansfield towards the end of the 2018-19 season. What was the manager thinking playing a show pony winger up there 🙄.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47519804 (thanks Akinde pen!)

Weird that this "show pony winger" was playing behind the front 2 in the few matches I look at for Mansfield towards the end of the 2018-19 season. What was the manager thinking playing a show pony winger up there 🙄.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47519804 (thanks Akinde pen!)
Ok if we want to be pedantic, let’s call him a show pony winger/ number 10 who drifted in and out of games, much like he did when he first signed for us. Remember MApp subbing him off at Wimbledon when he a showboating passenger, he received a good rollicking, rolled his sleeves up, changed his attitude and started to look like the all round talented footballer he has gone on to be. Well done him and I think he turned into a top player for us but you can’t rewrite history.

Ok if we want to be pedantic, let’s call him a show pony winger/ number 10 who drifted in and out of games, much like he did when he first signed for us. Remember MApp subbing him off at Wimbledon when he a showboating passenger, he received a good rollicking, rolled his sleeves up, changed his attitude and started to look like the all round talented footballer he has gone on to be. Well done him and I think he turned into a top player for us but you can’t rewrite history.

A parallel with Mandroui possibly, after the rollicking Danny got from MK? As John says, Grant improved after his MA rollicking and it finally clicked with him what he had to do to realise his potential.

Similarly Danny has definitely got the message about having to work hard, and let’s hope his all round game can develop to the level that Grant’s did before he left.

That’s assuming we offer Danny a new contract that is, as I think it’s up in the summer. Unless we have an option?

Jorge Grant what a great player and pleasure to watch.
Some people would use show pony as a term of abuse or ridicule but then some people called Ronaldinho a show pony