Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 2 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

"...all in positions that will need replacements, regardless of the number of games played."

The more interesting debate for me is what the plan is… the message from the top is that we are aiming for the championship at some point, regardless of which season. At that point, recruiting championship players, and increasing existing squad players’ salaries/bonuses to championship level is going to cost mega£££ in our terms. our use of the loan system would be one easy + cost-efficient way to add extra championship sparkle we couldn’t otherwise afford. Imo this would be the right time to make more use of loans rather than less.

Worth having that plan in place, just in case. Why make competing at a more difficult level even more difficult?
I have a feeling in my water that those conversations took place some time ago and there are plans A, B, C and maybe more already in place

I have a feeling in my water that those conversations took place some time ago and there are plans A, B, C and maybe more already in place

Yep, the way the club is ran these days, you would imagine every possible contingency plan is ready depending on the situations we find ourselves in. It’s a far cry to how bad things used to be on and off the pitch. I still cant quite believe the journey and amazing upturn I have witnessed in only a small amount of time.

Burroughs hasn't been anywhere near the pitch since the end of last year and McGrandles played five games. Rumours abound that we are already talking to Mitchell. Taylor will be a loss but may well be back if we are in the Championship.
But not if Luton are relegated!

I suppose this brings up the question of what you try to do with a first year in the Championship? Try to stay up, or take the money to make you stronger in the next few years?

Is staying up an achievable goal without massive 'sustainable' investment and even then? There are teams that bounce back and forth. Since 2005 this includes Peterborough 3 relegations, Rotherham 3, Wigan 3, Charlton 3, Barnsley 3, Bolton 2. Doncaster 2 and Blackpool 2.

Then there are the teams that have sunk and sunk after relegation - Yeovil 2014 to NL South, Scunthorpe 2011 to NL North, Southend 2007 to NL, while Gillingham, Crewe, Colchester, Milton Keynes and Doncaster are all in L2 and Coventry and Portsmouth 2012 to L2 (then back again and almost back again).

Two teams that have done slightly better since relegation, Burton and Wycombe who are still in L1. The rest are big clubs with relatively short stays in L1 before returning to the Championship.

Smaller promoted clubs to have survived and prospered in the last 15 years include Bournemouth, Brentford and Luton (although Luton got promoted twice in that time), with Swansea and Brighton at a push. I would argue only the first two are directly comparable to us, although we have played the other 3 regularly over the years.

So it is possible, but the odds are really against it and if you get it wrong, it really can go wrong big time.

I'm not expecting any striker rumours at all until we know what division we are in. Personally I highly doubt Taylor will return probably either because we won't be in the Championship and if we are, so too will Luton.

However another person to factor into that is the forgotten man Tyler Walker. I daresay he is on Taylor levels of contract, has a two years remaining and theoretically now we are playing two up top, is the obvious replacement already in the building.

Of course the ravages of injury and quality (maybe dependent upon which league we are in) are quite possibly an u/k quantity currently, and may remain so until pre season training gets underway. That could either be a boon or a time delaying handicap until we see which side of fortune Tyler emerges on.

Last edited:
I'm not expecting any striker rumours at all until we know what division we are in. Personally I highly doubt Taylor will return probably either because we won't be in the Championship and if we are, so too will Luton.

However another person to factor into that is the forgotten man Tyler Walker. I daresay he is on Taylor levels of contract, has a two years remaining and theoretically now we are playing two up top, is the obvious replacement already in the building.

Of course the ravages of injury and quality (maybe dependent upon which league we are in) are quite possibly an u/k quantity currently, and may remain so until pre season training gets underway. That could either be a boon or a time delaying handicap until we see which side of fortune Tyler emerges on.

After Taylor’s scoring run for us this season, sadly puts out of the picture for him to return.

Only way we have a chance is if we get promoted and Luton stay up.

Pretty sure Walker signed a two year deal, so will have one left (of course there might be options in there).

Agreed. Walker would definitely fit into Skoobs' style of play as long as he presses (which he didn't do when he was here on loan, but perhaps wasn't told to).

He would have been a fish out of water under MK though.

Agreed. Walker would definitely fit into Skoobs' style of play as long as he presses (which he didn't do when he was here on loan, but perhaps wasn't told to).

He would have been a fish out of water under MK though.
If someone like House is the other striker he could play off the shoulder when we have the ball and press a little bit less, apart from when we're doing a spell of full team pressing high up the pitch.

He would certainly be required to track back though when the opposition are in our half.

Walker will only have a year left, as he only signed a 2 year deal.

Apparently our Lasse is going to a Lancashire team in the championship. I wouldn’t begrudge him a move like that after consistently producing eye catching performances for ourselves.

Jeff Hughes, head of youth development phase at Larne, is a former Imp, as is Cian Bolger, who is still playing for them.