Summer Transfer Rumours | Page 9 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumours

Ok - so we have;
3 GK’s in Jensen, Long, Wright
5 CB’s in Roughan, Montsma (contract expiring), Jackson, O’Connor, Eyoma
2 RWB’s in Sorensen, Benn
1 LWB’s in Brown

4 CM’s in Erhahon, Hamilton, Smith, Bishop (contract expiring)
2 WG’s in Hackett, Duffy
2 AM’s in Moylan, Mandriou

4 ST’s in House, Draper, Makama, Walker

Depends on what Skubala wants to play - remember he started off 4-4-2 (although I think 5-3-2 is best suited)

But I’d guess top priority is a true LWB. Roughan struggled there and was much more effective as a CB. Hackett could continue but he is out of position there. I don’t think Duffy ever really took to the position.

Whilst Hackett could probably go up front or remain as a LWB - Duffy is probably a bit of a fish out of water in the current set up. Moylan can go up front, Mandriou can remain a CM which probably lets them adapt to the formation.

We’ll obviously need to replace and departing players. And there’ll need to be decisions on Jay Benn.

In general - I’d expect we’re looking at a CB, RWB, 2 LWB’s, 2 or 3 CM’s for next season.

Be gutted if Erhahon goes but can't deny him a move and would be right time to cash in rather than lose for free eventually. Feel he is a big presence in dressing room as well which worries me a little.

Interesting discussion of which players could play in Championship. Mandriou seems to have been overlooked here, I think the best version of Mandriou could play Championship - hopefully we see that version for a full season next season.

Recruitment will be interesting, think it will tell us whether Skubala does want togo four at the back or if we are sticking with 352. Would really like to see us having two players competing for each position.

Interesting summer coming up and will show just how ambitious the club is. Inevitably we will have 2/3 of our best players leave, that is the model. The interesting bit is what sort of squad do we put together. We've done really well this year with around a 24 man squad, 2/3rds eperience bulked up with promising youngsters. Do we go down that road again or do we look at, for instance, Portsmouths squad which shows you need more depth of experience, before you add the younger element. All comes down to finance i know but will be interesting to see just how ambitious we are.

Looking at the teams coming up from league 2 and the one's likely to come down from the championship, I'd probably have us in the bottom 6 on spending budget normally.

But with the new investment coming in we may have a top half budget.
So If that's the case there's no reason why we can't at least compete with the bigger clubs for players at this level.

The problem will be the perception by a lot of players that we are still a small club in this league and we may lose out on signings on that basis alone ( but that will always be the case anyway )

We have to rely on the clubs owners and investors selling players the vision of what the club can achieve.

It's never been easy getting really good players to Lincoln city, but I have a feeling that's going to change in the summer

So far, the American/Landon Donovan connection doesnt seem to have yielded any results?

Is this summer the time when we start to see incoming from that source, given the messages from Jez suggests the Irish seam has largely been mined out? It may not be first team ready players, it could be 'projects' for immediate loans similar to Zak Bradshaw, or scholars in the academy system.

So far, the American/Landon Donovan connection doesnt seem to have yielded any results?

Is this summer the time when we start to see incoming from that source, given the messages from Jez suggests the Irish seam has largely been mined out? It may not be first team ready players, it could be 'projects' for immediate loans similar to Zak Bradshaw, or scholars in the academy system.
Maybe it has with investors.

The biggest threat to us in my opinion is Leeds not being promoted. They will probably change their manager - and I fear that will have major implications for us
Player wise I believe Jez and his team have the jigsaw mapped out already

The biggest threat to us in my opinion is Leeds not being promoted. They will probably change their manager - and I fear that will have major implications for us
Player wise I believe Jez and his team have the jigsaw mapped out already
See where your going with that but unlikely that MS has proven himself enough to be given a big job like Leeds previous connections or otherwise. Now a big season for us next year and that might change

Is Poole a championship player? Perhaps Portsmouth might release him? Raggott too?

Interesting team Portsmouth - their players seem like flash bastards. I wonder how they will get on next season I can’t see them struggling the top half unless the Disney people spurge it
Staying up will be a huge achievement, cocky in league one, the bigger boys will soon sort them out pretty quickly.
Proves how thick some footballers are when Paddy Lane shithouses us in front of his own fans.
At least Ellison did in front of the coop

Possibly but big rise in wages.
Could also follow the path that say matt o riley has taken. League one to Celtic, player of the season and now a wanted man I think.

He's too good for any apart from the big two there but could also see a club in the championship having a look.

Always surprised by the concentration on individuals, which will undoubtedly rumble on over the next few months. For me, keep the the coaching staff intact and they will mould a new squad that will fit with their vision. New season starts 10/08/2024 - which seems like an eternity, but gives a good window to get the right squad together. If Erhahon is as coveted as suggested, happy to send him on his way with a 7 figure fee, we can do a lot with that in L1. Optimistic for next season.

Lasse's overall game and Jensen's distribution make them both no higher than good L1 players at the moment. Another season here under the current management and coaching team will make them better.

Erhahon has Championship potential, and sounds like that's where he's heading? Though think back to Poole a year ago....
Spot on, for all of his heart and energy, Lasse has clear limitations, as does the keeper.
Erahon less so, other than the occasional brain fart from his mouth!

summer business is dependent on whether the model stays the same following the new American investment.

if it does, there is no way we will directly replace erhahon. as that would require all the money we gain from selling erhahon, and defeats the object of selling him.

what i expect we will do is sign someone in that position for less - but a player with potential - who will be expected to develop/be coached to be the 'next erhahon' in around 18 months, and then sell on for more profit. what i am confident of - with skubala/cohen in there now - starting from pre-season we can develop the midfield as a unit to cover the short term loss of erhahon the individual.

it will be a v hard act to follow initially, just as bridcutt was a hard act to follow. hopefully the fanbase understand this and don't expect the new cdmf to immediately be the finished article.

there is always going to be an element of 2 steps forward/one back with this model. not a weakness just a reality.

i have also wondered whether erhahon was a one-off at st mirren; whether the 2 academy coaches that had brought him through from a v young age developed that superb technique, or whether he always had it.

one of those coaches is still at st mirren, so looking for more talent there could we a worthwhile exercise.
the other fella is now academy boss at burnley i believe.

…. A permanent contract for McGrandles could be part of the Midfield jigsaw & we were keen to gain his experience when he signed in Jan. In spite of yesterday’s disappointment, the Club is overall in the best place I’ve known in 50 years with such good backers. Better equipped than ever to withstand the impact of losing a key player. If Erhahon goes for a healthy profit, I’m sure it will be invested wisely.

Last edited: