Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just need to avoid the Doncaster model, they really cut back and now it’s going to cost them longer term.

Listening to Gary's video on SWB, it sounds like the budget next season will be less than the one that ends this season, which was increased in January transfer window, not lower than last summers.

Listening to Gary's video on SWB, it sounds like the budget next season will be less than the one that ends this season, which was increased in January transfer window, not lower than last summers.

Which I think is fairly competitive if not playoff troubling. I think marquis will have cost a fair amount but that was fire fighting, its not our model to take on a 32 year old who's scored 100s of goals but he was available and I can and could see the logic to try and avoid relegation.

When you think so many players have been injured semi permanently or cast aside more like Adelakun, you'd think a more wisely spent version of this seasons budget would be reasonable.

If we sell Scully I assume it will be invested so might be smaller for now
And it doesn't mean players cannot be moved on just because they are under contract - the 'not in my plans / will not stand in your way' conversation will surely take place with some of them.

Yes, it's certainly a worry. Other clubs do see it as a time to change manager. So we are at some risk of other clubs looking at MA as a solution to their problems.

Fortunately, the 100% backing by the board, when we went through a brief difficult period this season, should help keep him here.
Not all clubs a quite so astute as to recognise when they have a top manager and get rid of them at the first sign of a sticky patch.
True that. Some clubs are too happy to pull the trigger at times.
Some clubs on the other hand sticking to mediocre managers for too long and then ending up with a team full of dead wood struggling to win games.
Tricky business with managers.
Sometimes all you have to do is be patient and you will be rewarded.
Sometimes you have to act before it's too late (even with the best in the business let alone the average ones that never won a thing).
Never easy decisions.
In our case I trust the board so I will sleep well knowing it is up to them.

It's easy to say what the club *should* do - but it's more interesting to hear what people *would* do if they in the club's position.

eg, Liam Scully suggesting we will have a lower budget next season seems completely sensible and logical to me.

Rather than suggesting that we can't compete at this level, he is reiterating the fact we need to get value for money from players.

Interest rates are going up and gate receipts will be under pressure due to the 'cost of living crisis'. No right-minded CEO in Liam's situation would suggest the club has cash to splash.

Would I give Liam Bridcutt a coaching role after his player contract expires? I'm not sure I would. There is a strong argument that the cash could be better spent another way,

It's clear we need a better mix of players. Yes, we've been unlucky this season in terms of injuries but it's also certain we need to improve our balance between:

1) 'development' players on loan from Premiership clubs
2) 'older' players prone to injury
3) up-and-coming youngsters full of potential

2021/22 has been a season with too many (2). If it were me, I would be looking to recruit more of (1) and (3).

I still think 'the model' is the right one - it just needs tweaking.

Without wanting to sound "Cowley-esque" about stuff, we're still on the journey rather than at the destination.

A few pointers in my head…
A large budget does not always equal success
Our reputation as a club that improves talent from bigger clubs will stand us in good stead
We must offload our bigger wage earners who don’t provide value for money
We have a good crop of youngsters that we need to nurture
The future is bright and I think we will improve next season
Top 12

Oh I wish life was so simple. I can foresee some very difficult discussions ahead for the board, MA and JG. We have some very talented young footballers on the horizon - question is, are they ready for L1 and do we play them early next season to see how they fare, with the possibility we may have a very poor start results wise 🤔. Difficult to recover. Regardless, we still need two or three experienced players to balance the team and they won’t come cheap. It’s great that we have a good relationship with some top clubs as we will need one or two quality loans (hopefully Fiorini again as there are still elements of his game that need work (strength on the ball and defensive duties, especially for opposition players coming through the middle). All this on a reduced budget. Would be great if we had the nucleus of a team already to start next season, but we may not have enough of one.

Seems fair enough
The exact words were "
We have given Michael a competitive budget this year but unfortunately we've not optimised that"
Wouldn't disagree with that. Some questionable recruitment combined with an inability to get the best out of the group as a whole. We havent developed players particularly well and we haven't had any additional income from the cups.
Injury has been a mitigating factor but I think this is the people running and funding the club saying no matter how well you did in 20/21 there has to be an improvement from 21/22.
Wouldn't expect the MO to change at all. Loans will continue to play an important part and we can hope the younger players on our books play a part but it's a big jump to this level. The message is we are happy for you to continue what you are doing but do it better

Not sure Grant coming back would be the best move. While a good inclusion when on his game, he was a little inconsistent. Can’t get a game in a dreadful Peterboring side. I think we should look elsewhere; just wary that players (or managers) returning rarely work out as well as you hope.

Not sure Grant coming back would be the best move. While a good inclusion when on his game, he was a little inconsistent. Can’t get a game in a dreadful Peterboring side. I think we should look elsewhere; just wary that players (or managers) returning rarely work out as well as you hope.
Percy Freeman and Glenn Cockerill being two obvious exceptions!

I would have Jorg Grant back in a heart beat. The player who made us tick, the player MApp got the best out of. Quality player and would be delighted to see him in the red & white at the LNER.

Wholessale changes in so far as the spine of the team me thinks. Poole continues at centre half with the addition of another. That would give us Poole, Montsma (when Recovered) With one addition. A permanent keeper of some league 1 quality. Then the midfield. Not sure how Swansea see the two loanees we have long term. I can see a few departures who have had limited game time recently coupled with those who struggle with injuries. Something like released by mutual consent, the player gets a wedge and the club save a little long term.

But Jorg Grant back - absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.