Summer Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't hold your breath another year left on his contract and MA clearly likes him. Very rarely taken off starts most games when available!

It's a shame about Bridcutt as he is such an influential player when he plays, unfortunately that is all too rare. We simply cannot afford to keep carrying the amount of injured players we have, It just keeps chopping and changing the team constantly which means we have found no consistency this season.

Walsh finally seems to be playing a more regularly so fingers crossed he can play more next season. You can carry one or two sick notes if they are influential but not half the side!

I am sorry to say those players that spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch who are out of contract this season need to be moved on or offered pay as you play deals.
Yeah I know. Probably I will be disappointed. Shame. Playing with Maguire is almost like playing with 10 men.

I wouldn't hold your breath another year left on his contract and MA clearly likes him. Very rarely taken off starts most games when available!

It's a shame about Bridcutt as he is such an influential player when he plays, unfortunately that is all too rare. We simply cannot afford to keep carrying the amount of injured players we have, It just keeps chopping and changing the team constantly which means we have found no consistency this season.

Walsh finally seems to be playing a more regularly so fingers crossed he can play more next season. You can carry one or two sick notes if they are influential but not half the side!

I am sorry to say those players that spend more time in the treatment room than on the pitch who are out of contract this season need to be moved on or offered pay as you play deals.

Not going to get too excited about Walsh tbh, thought that after his run of games last season towards the end. I'm not actually sure he has been as good when back this year either.

It is a shame but he should go. There is no doubt about it for me. Same as Jackson. Massive loss (only one really dominant CB and the best DM we have) but it has to happen.
We will have a massive squad rebuild this summer. Great moment to employ a new manager by the way. I know it won't happen so I'm really looking forward what we'll do this summer window. Who Michael will bring this time.

For me first team goalie with Wright as a back up and Long going out on loan to play some NL or L2 football.

One or two dominant CB

If Mc Grandles will leave (alongside Bridcutt, Sanders and Fiorini) then we will need whole new midfield.

We need pace up front so two quick and direct wingers is an obvious choice. Even if Mapp prefers to play possession based football with wingers cutting inside etc. we still need pace to be able to hurt teams.

Also I will be very disappointed if in the first game of next season we will still have Maguire in the first team. Despite what Michael says to the press he MUST see himself that Chris is giving us next to nothing.

Big summer.

Yeah, it’s a massive summer.

We must be looking at between 10 and 15 departures, including loanees going back to their parent club.

Alongside the 5 on loan, I can see Walsh, Jackson, Melbourne, Sanders, Sorensen, McGrandles, Bridcutt, Maguire, Adelakun and Marquis all leaving in one way or another.

In a way, though, it’s quite exciting!

Yeah, it’s a massive summer.

We must be looking at between 10 and 15 departures, including loanees going back to their parent club.

Alongside the 5 on loan, I can see Walsh, Jackson, Melbourne, Sanders, Sorensen, McGrandles, Bridcutt, Maguire, Adelakun and Marquis all leaving in one way or another.

In a way, though, it’s quite exciting!

A Cruel Summer?

Not going to get too excited about Walsh tbh, thought that after his run of games last season towards the end. I'm not actually sure he has been as good when back this year either.

I believe you would have to give Walsh a run of say 10 consecutive games and allow him to get into his rhythm and full match fitness before fairly assessing his ability and effectiveness; something he has heavily alluded to himself in a recent interview. That admittedly takes us back to the ground hog scenario of actually getting ten games out of him.

Personally because he is a left sided centre half (apparently rarer than rocking horse poo we keep getting told) and has a year left on his contract I would be happy to keep Walsh, working on the basis that we should have a fitter, stronger, older Roughan available to share the load - especially for midweek EFL trophy and League cup games etc. That could possibly work given our budgetary considerations.

I like Jackson but if his contract is up I would be happy to see Poole starting as CH with a good chance of Montsma returning in the Autumn. We then have TJ plus a new right/wing back to come in through recruitment.

Given we have two left/wing backs in the building, the defence situation could actually be sorted without too much hassle provided Roughan is good enough to step up and we can sign a quality right flank player.

Up front we have House and Kendall plus assorted supporting ex academy cast. Given we know what we get from Hopper and Scully that's actually quite an exciting area to look forward to and see how it goes.

The BIG issue for me is central midfield and wide right player (if playing a 4-3-3 in the case of the latter). I expect McG, Fiorini and Bridcutt to leave. I haven't seen anything from Sorensen to suggest he is L1 ready and MA appears to feel the same way about Sanders and Adelakun. I think we persevere with Bishop (see Walsh) but then HAVE to augment midfield with the bulk of our Summer singings.

If, if, if only we could do that and have something like a normal season for injuries I see no reason why we couldn't have a decent and less stressful season for everybody connected with the club.

Great moment to employ a new manager by the way

Yes, it's certainly a worry. Other clubs do see it as a time to change manager. So we are at some risk of other clubs looking at MA as a solution to their problems.

Fortunately, the 100% backing by the board, when we went through a brief difficult period this season, should help keep him here.
Not all clubs a quite so astute as to recognise when they have a top manager and get rid of them at the first sign of a sticky patch.

Yes, it's certainly a worry. Other clubs do see it as a time to change manager. So we are at some risk of other clubs looking at MA as a solution to their problems.

Fortunately, the 100% backing by the board, when we went through a brief difficult period this season, should help keep him here.
Not all clubs a quite so astute as to recognise when they have a top manager and get rid of them at the first sign of a sticky patch.

I totally agree clubs are sometimes knee jerk in their reactions. Fergie was apparently one match away from the sack at Man U but won the next match and the rest as they say is history.

We all get that we were behind the curve because of the play-offs, injuries, bad luck etc and the fact that a number of clubs were going mental with spending. So there are many reasons why this season has been a struggle and I think all sensible fans understand and accept that.

However I think we can all agree that next season there needs to a level of improvement. While I am not saying we should be in the playoffs or challenging for promotion as I realise that there will be huge competition from much bigger clubs than our own I think a top half finish should at the very least be the aim.

The fans have shown their backing by the first window season ticket sales and the continued strong match day sales (a good load gone for Cheltenham already). We should hope that next season delivers better fare than this and hopefully MA can deliver it.

Spot on.

If the board were going to sack MA, it would’ve been 2-3 months ago.

It certainly won’t be in the near future, especially with so much player turnover on the horizon.

I believe you would have to give Walsh a run of say 10 consecutive games and allow him to get into his rhythm and full match fitness before fairly assessing his ability and effectiveness; something he has heavily alluded to himself in a recent interview. That admittedly takes us back to the ground hog scenario of actually getting ten games out of him.

Personally because he is a left sided centre half (apparently rarer than rocking horse poo we keep getting told) and has a year left on his contract I would be happy to keep Walsh, working on the basis that we should have a fitter, stronger, older Roughan available to share the load - especially for midweek EFL trophy and League cup games etc. That could possibly work given our budgetary considerations.

I like Jackson but if his contract is up I would be happy to see Poole starting as CH with a good chance of Montsma returning in the Autumn. We then have TJ plus a new right/wing back to come in through recruitment.

Given we have two left/wing backs in the building, the defence situation could actually be sorted without too much hassle provided Roughan is good enough to step up and we can sign a quality right flank player.

Up front we have House and Kendall plus assorted supporting ex academy cast. Given we know what we get from Hopper and Scully that's actually quite an exciting area to look forward to and see how it goes.

The BIG issue for me is central midfield and wide right player (if playing a 4-3-3 in the case of the latter). I expect McG, Fiorini and Bridcutt to leave. I haven't seen anything from Sorensen to suggest he is L1 ready and MA appears to feel the same way about Sanders and Adelakun. I think we persevere with Bishop (see Walsh) but then HAVE to augment midfield with the bulk of our Summer singings.

If, if, if only we could do that and have something like a normal season for injuries I see no reason why we couldn't have a decent and less stressful season for everybody connected with the club.

Not sure if Walsh not being up to speed yet is an overly fair reading as some of it has just been things like, Shrewsbury where he let the target man box him out or long balls etc. Maybe a bit of rustiness for stuff like the dumb red card though.

Like the thought regarding Roughan but struggling to see it, with how far he was from playing. Not sure how much that was injury but I think we need another CB to play next to Poole who can play 46 games and then the issue is semi fixed, Montsma/Walsh/Eyoma can support that?

Agree re: central midfield being the biggy though as alluded to elsewhere.

Not sure if Walsh not being up to speed yet is an overly fair reading as some of it has just been things like, Shrewsbury where he let the target man box him out or long balls etc. Maybe a bit of rustiness for stuff like the dumb red card though.

Like the thought regarding Roughan but struggling to see it, with how far he was from playing. Not sure how much that was injury but I think we need another CB to play next to Poole who can play 46 games and then the issue is semi fixed, Montsma/Walsh/Eyoma can support that?

Agree re: central midfield being the biggy though as alluded to elsewhere.
I reckon that's why Roughan's jaunt to Eire may prove to be a master stroke. He's fit, playing and likely to be rejuvenated from a spell in home surroundings. Fingers crossed it does him the world of good mentally, physically and 'minutes' wise.

Yes, it's certainly a worry. Other clubs do see it as a time to change manager. So we are at some risk of other clubs looking at MA as a solution to their problems...

Spot on.
If the board were going to sack MA, it would’ve been 2-3 months ago.
It certainly won’t be in the near future, especially with so much player turnover on the horizon.

Don't think there is any chance of the Board sacking the manager; MApp will decide whether or not he wants to stay at Lincoln and finish a job.

His cancer scare may mean he re-evaluates his life. His wife and young kid are in the north west. A number of more local clubs around our level or "bigger" would be interested in his services. He knows how to develop youngsters so U23 positions might be available in Championship or Premiership sides.

I have never understood how having a manager and a director of football works at L1/L2 clubs. Too many chances of such a relationship cracking if things don't go as well as expected. That said, they could be best mates but I doubt it and MApp doesn't give much away.

Last edited:
Quite a few posters have referred to Bridcut and because of his injury record think his career at Lincoln is over, I cant disagree, but I am more than a little worried about Walsh and his record not much different I spose, but I am more than a little suspicious of a player who suddenly gets fit just before the end of the season. Tony Battersby comes to mind .

Hopefully next season we rely less on loans (say 3 max) and start to blood some of own youngsters (we probably have 4/5 knocking on the door) to start putting them in the shop window as such. Jack Hobbs had 1 senior game at 16 before Liverpool snapped him up. If the model is to work we need to be moving more in that direction rather than taking Prem/Champ young players on loan imo.

Don’t you just give thanks for the calm and level headed board who run this club - and shudder to think what might have been!

Very much agree but reading some of the posts on here there seems to be expectations of very deep pockets which might not be that possible

His cancer scare may mean he re-evaluates his life. His wife and young kid are in the north west. A number of more local clubs around our level or "bigger" would be interested in his services. He knows how to develop youngsters so U23 positions might be available in Championship or Premiership sides.

I think he'd only want to move for a significant upgrade in terms of league position/income and I don't think those clubs would be interested at the moment. Avoiding relegation from League 1 is not the current record to get fans at a Championship Club excited. I don't see him wanting to go back to U23 stuff, that's probably the end of his management ambitions if he does that.

Hopefully next season we rely less on loans (say 3 max) and start to blood some of own youngsters (we probably have 4/5 knocking on the door) to start putting them in the shop window as such. Jack Hobbs had 1 senior game at 16 before Liverpool snapped him up. If the model is to work we need to be moving more in that direction rather than taking Prem/Champ young players on loan imo.

I seriously doubt his debut in the 89th minute against Bristol Rovers had any bearing on Liverpool signing Hobbs. 4 or 5 knocking on the door would be miraculous and without checking probably equal if not better than those progressing in the last 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.