Summer 2020 Transfer Window | Page 22 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Disagree, I listened to Harry one event and he went on for 15 mins how he kept playing him but had to persuade him to play as he was always claiming he wasn't fit...and that alot of the time, Harry was convinced he wouldn't put the effort in because of it.

Yep Harry said the same at the event I went too. He did say though he was so good technically he would play him unfit and hoped for the best. lol

VDV had niggly injury issues for his entire time at spurs. He couldn't train at the intensity required to last 90 minutes. It's a big reason why we sold him.

I always had a weird feeling we'd have been better without VDV for this exact reason. He was probably technically our best player, but we sort of built a team around a guy who was only available 3/4 of the time and often not for a full 90. I loved him, but just felt a more reliable player of slightly lesser ability would have had a net positive impact on our points at the end of a season even if they gave us less truly magical moments.

I always had a weird feeling we'd have been better without VDV for this exact reason. He was probably technically our best player, but we sort of built a team around a guy who was only available 3/4 of the time and often not for a full 90. I loved him, but just felt a more reliable player of slightly lesser ability would have had a net positive impact on our points at the end of a season even if they gave us less truly magical moments.

I always felt VDV could have been a great supersub in a top side. Our challenge was that we weren't that good and he therefore walked in our side on ability. He was at best 60-70 mins fit and really struggled in the latter part of games.

So pretty much aligned with your thinking.

I'm pretty intrigued to see what Ndombele and Dier look like after all this time off. Seen some say Ndombele looks leaner in pics but I've not really looked.

If Dier has got some agility back and lost a bit of bulk and Ndombele is PL fit, or at least as fit as other players who've not kicked a ball in 2 months, our midfield might have a very different look/feel to it. Or alternatively a more mobile Dier *might* work as one of our CB options moving forward.

Couthinio to Spurs-Dreaming I’m always dreaming. This song aptly describes us perfectly!

I think everything we do now will be about how well we come out the other side of this financially. Manure last week admitted that they think that it cost them around £23 mill in the first quarter and the anlayst report I read over the weekend think the second quarter will be around a £60 mill hit, and that is after taking into account that they have the strongest and highest commercial (i.e. sponsor deals etc) in the business, that most sponsors will continue with as they can't afford to risk losing Manure as their marketing platform. So perhaps over two quarters it may cost Manure £80-90 million in hard cash and losses.

Did an exercise over the weekend and came to the conclusion that so far in actually losses we'd be around £60-70 mill, but that seeing the season out behind closed doors would only see us losing around another £20-25 mill which means total losses for us would be in the region of £120 mill, inc financing costs. If I'm right that's a cold hard cashflow hit which will mean our transfer projected budget of around £65-80 mill will be badly hit.

I can't see us spending more than £35-40 mill now.

I think everything we do now will be about how well we come out the other side of this financially. Manure last week admitted that they think that it cost them around £23 mill in the first quarter and the anlayst report I read over the weekend think the second quarter will be around a £60 mill hit, and that is after taking into account that they have the strongest and highest commercial (i.e. sponsor deals etc) in the business, that most sponsors will continue with as they can't afford to risk losing Manure as their marketing platform. So perhaps over two quarters it may cost Manure £80-90 million in hard cash and losses.

Did an exercise over the weekend and came to the conclusion that so far in actually losses we'd be around £60-70 mill, but that seeing the season out behind closed doors would only see us losing around another £20-25 mill which means total losses for us would be in the region of £120 mill, inc financing costs. If I'm right that's a cold hard cashflow hit which will mean our transfer projected budget of around £65-80 mill will be badly hit.

I can't see us spending more than £35-40 mill now.

More Alli, Lamela, and Moura to look forward to oh the joys.

Im not convinced we need millions and millions spent on new players. Two or three in key positions and we are strong contenders.

Which players and in what positions depends on the system we play, assuming its 4-3-3. Lo Celso and Ndomele are our most talented central midfielders but im convinced both will thrive with a holding midfielder between them and am equally unconvinced that they are suited as a two in a 4-2-3-1. Hence the need for a holding midfielder, assuming Dier is now considered a CB.

I think we are strong on the wings but obviously need a backup to Kane up top.

In defence, left back is fine. At centre half we have Alderweireld, Sanchez, poss Dier? and Tanganga (unless we see him as a RB) so for me we need a CB if we want to use Tanganga at RB or a RB if Tanganga is seen as a CB. Getting a settled squad of players playing in familar positions is key to success for me.

As for the GK situation, i think we are ok fir another season, then maybe look to recruit a new No 1 and back up.

Im not convinced we need millions and millions spent on new players. Two or three in key positions and we are strong contenders.

Which players and in what positions depends on the system we play, assuming its 4-3-3. Lo Celso and Ndomele are our most talented central midfielders but im convinced both will thrive with a holding midfielder between them and am equally unconvinced that they are suited as a two in a 4-2-3-1. Hence the need for a holding midfielder, assuming Dier is now considered a CB.

I think we are strong on the wings but obviously need a backup to Kane up top.

In defence, left back is fine. At centre half we have Alderweireld, Sanchez, poss Dier? and Tanganga (unless we see him as a RB) so for me we need a CB if we want to use Tanganga at RB or a RB if Tanganga is seen as a CB. Getting a settled squad of players playing in familar positions is key to success for me.

As for the GK situation, i think we are ok fir another season, then maybe look to recruit a new No 1 and back up.

A very strong DM will make all of our current defensive options look better.

A very strong DM will make all of our current defensive options look better.
Completely agree. Defending must be done as a unit. Our team has gone from being one of the best defensively to the current soft state it is. When so many players all appear to decline so rapidly at the same time it points to there deeper problems than just 'so and so' not being good enough.

In my opinion, what we need more than anything is a DM who will kick his own granny to get the ball and stop any opposition getting forward at all costs, basically leads, this then helps all, defenders, attacking midfield, strikers/forward play, it is as simple as that in my mind.

In my opinion, what we need more than anything is a DM who will kick his own granny to get the ball and stop any opposition getting forward at all costs, basically leads, this then helps all, defenders, attacking midfield, strikers/forward play, it is as simple as that in my mind.

Agree, but which current player would fit that category best?

Wilfred Ndidi always impresses me. Who else?

It's a shame Sissoko isn't a technically better footballer with a better football brain. He has the physical attributes, stamina and aggression to make a perfect DM.

I have a feeling Jose would have been drilling Sissoko on that role though.

He's 31 in August, so not a long term answer.

It also depends how highly Jose rates Jamie Bowden. There's a lot of Carrick about him apparently. Could he be the one to break through now there's budget issues?