Summer 2020 Transfer Window | Page 21 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

There is dud and success but also middle ground contributors like Davies. Overall our signings are governed by the strategy imposed by finances, we dont pay top dollar.
The question for me is.....with the above in mind how have we managed to finish in the top 4 so often of late ?
Kane was almost let go but apparently Sherwood dug his heels in. Son was a shrewd buy, as was Eriksen, Alli, Lloris, Toby, Vert, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Modric and Bale.
If all the success and middle ground contributors like Sissoko, Lamela, Moura, Davies, Vorm etc are added together and stacked up against the true duds I wonder what the ratio is ?
Good comments, it is easy to overlook the successes, and the 'middle grounds' are important when they make meaningful contributions over a reasonable period of time, which certainly applies in the case of Davies, Sissoko and Moura. I still believe however that our 'dud rate' in recent years has been too high, all of the players bought in with the Bale money, with the exception of Eriksen, were duds, whilst the trend recently to bring in 'promising youngsters' on the face of things hasn't worked. Nkoudou and Njie were definitely duds, the indicators with Sessegnon are not too promising so far, whilst I start to wonder if Clarke will ever play any meaningful football for Spurs.

There is dud and success but also middle ground contributors like Davies. Overall our signings are governed by the strategy imposed by finances, we dont pay top dollar.
The question for me is.....with the above in mind how have we managed to finish in the top 4 so often of late ?
Kane was almost let go but apparently Sherwood dug his heels in. Son was a shrewd buy, as was Eriksen, Alli, Lloris, Toby, Vert, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Modric and Bale.
If all the success and middle ground contributors like Sissoko, Lamela, Moura, Davies, Vorm etc are added together and stacked up against the true duds I wonder what the ratio is ?
Think we are a 60/40 ratio successes/duds side/squad at the mo, that's probably why we seem to fail at the wrong time, though in truth am probably way off the mark. COYS

Good comments, it is easy to overlook the successes, and the 'middle grounds' are important when they make meaningful contributions over a reasonable period of time, which certainly applies in the case of Davies, Sissoko and Moura. I still believe however that our 'dud rate' in recent years has been too high, all of the players bought in with the Bale money, with the exception of Eriksen, were duds, whilst the trend recently to bring in 'promising youngsters' on the face of things hasn't worked. Nkoudou and Njie were definitely duds, the indicators with Sessegnon are not too promising so far, whilst I start to wonder if Clarke will ever play any meaningful football for Spurs.
That's a great comment...that our "dud rate" in recent years has been to high.

Until this past year:

GLC
Berwijn
Gedson
Sessegnon
And hopefully, Ndombele, if he gets fit then we will have had a very good transfer year.
Hope that you are proved to be right 80, but Berwijn, Gedson, Sessegnon and Ndombele, all still have a bit of proving to do before they can be classed as good signings. Hopefully by the end of the 20/21 season, whenever that may be, they will have at the least qualified for Nick's 'middle ground contributor category', so far, too early to say.

There are too many duds to be specific. Maybe relative to cost Soldado rates quite highly, but there have certainly been worse. Rebrov, Bentley and Paulhino are all challengers amongst signings from whom a lot more could have been expected, whilst we have also had a team full of young 'high potential' players who came and went without making any worthwhile impact.

I never saw the fuss people made about Paulinho, another one who I felt wasn't good enough to live up to the billing.

I expected a lot more from Van der Vaart in fixtures against the best teams of the day when he was here (citeh, utd, and the chavs). People bang on about his exploits against Arse, but I felt short-changed by him following a dozen no impact performances against the best.

I reckon the squad can still compete (when fit & healthy), our main problem has been with the amount of injuries we've had. The only answer is a bigger squad. Running the lads on empty has proven to be extremely damaging. I expect big changes in that regard over the course of the summer

I never saw the fuss people made about Paulinho, another one who I felt wasn't good enough to live up to the billing.

I expected a lot more from Van der Vaart in fixtures against the best teams of the day when he was here (citeh, utd, and the chavs). People bang on about his exploits against Arse, but I felt short-changed by him following a dozen no impact performances against the best.

The problem with VDV was that we could not get him fully fit, his fitness was sporadic and he was another who could barely train properly most of the time.

I like the look of Gedson. Still raw but I can see some natural ability in him. Lo Celso is top draw but the rest still have a huge ? over them.

Gedson looks like he needs to bulk up a bit and to some extent that's Sess's problem too , both need a confidence building run. If they get it this season, it will be a massive boost for rebounding next season.

Last edited:
A bigger squad has been said, bulking up of a couple players also, couldn't agree more with both comments, confidence building also mentioned, it is a massive factor.

It has been said by many fans we need 1/ a right back, 2/ a centre forward, both very important, but for me it is 3/ you will not get past me, a mean as you like, take no prisoners, kick his own granny, defensive midfielder, who will in turn give our defense a chance plus let the baller's do their job, its as simple as that for me.

A bigger squad has been said, bulking up of a couple players also, couldn't agree more with both comments, confidence building also mentioned, it is a massive factor.

It has been said by many fans we need 1/ a right back, 2/ a centre forward, both very important, but for me it is 3/ you will not get past me, a mean as you like, take no prisoners, kick his own granny, defensive midfielder, who will in turn give our defense a chance plus let the baller's do their job, its as simple as that for me.

Completely agree pompey, in recent years with one or two games that stand out, we just dno't adopt the strategic fouling, the bulling and the aggressive mental approach, which includes diving at every opportunity as so much that our opponents have done - under Jose, this more than anything I expected to change - he uses game management which includes gamesmanship far more aggressively than Poch does/did.

For me, it's often the difference between a loose/draw - and I expect this is the platform that Jose will go on about to players to get them to adopt a 'winners' mentality.

Completely agree pompey, in recent years with one or two games that stand out, we just dno't adopt the strategic fouling, the bulling and the aggressive mental approach, which includes diving at every opportunity as so much that our opponents have done - under Jose, this more than anything I expected to change - he uses game management which includes gamesmanship far more aggressively than Poch does/did.

For me, it's often the difference between a loose/draw - and I expect this is the platform that Jose will go on about to players to get them to adopt a 'winners' mentality.
Ha ha, thanks for that, how many times recently have "I shouted pull his effin shirt off him" or "kick him for gods sake" take a yellow for the team, not nice but as you say it is needed, fairness never won fair lady.

The problem with VDV was that we could not get him fully fit, his fitness was sporadic and he was another who could barely train properly most of the time.

Fitness in these fixtures wasn't the issue; otherwise, he wouldn't have started, VDV was a big game player but not in any of these fixtures. Those teams had his number, and he didn't show anything to take the initiative away from them.

Ha ha, thanks for that, how many times recently have "I shouted pull his effin shirt off him" or "kick him for gods sake" take a yellow for the team, not nice but as you say it is needed, fairness never won fair lady.

Dier has been known to leave his foot in shall we say, Winks ain't no saint either but Tanganga is pretty good already at the dark arts for one so young, mind you he uses brute force first !!

Fitness in these fixtures wasn't the issue; otherwise, he wouldn't have started, VDV was a big game player but not in any of these fixtures. Those teams had his number, and he didn't show anything to take the initiative away from them.

VDV had niggly injury issues for his entire time at spurs. He couldn't train at the intensity required to last 90 minutes. It's a big reason why we sold him.

Dier has been known to leave his foot in shall we say, Winks ain't no saint either but Tanganga is pretty good already at the dark arts for one so young, mind you he uses brute force first !!
Yes I agree with you there regards Dier and Winks, but lets be honest they haven't really mastered the "dark arts", a lot of the time leaving their foot in has been more about poor timing, Tanganga is all about his pure strength and added inexperience, we still need that "master" DM.

Disagree, I listened to Harry one event and he went on for 15 mins how he kept playing him but had to persuade him to play as he was always claiming he wasn't fit...and that alot of the time, Harry was convinced he wouldn't put the effort in because of it.

Disagree, I listened to Harry one event and he went on for 15 mins how he kept playing him but had to persuade him to play as he was always claiming he wasn't fit...and that alot of the time, Harry was convinced he wouldn't put the effort in because of it.

So when he scores against Arse his fitness issues are not mentioned, but in more appearances against citeh, the chavs & utd when he doesn't score, has no impact, is a passenger it is!:giggle: