Summer 2020 Transfer Window | Page 20 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Watford signing a player is exactly why I have sympathy for the footballers being resistant to salary reductions. They will be questioning why they should "suffer" to aid club cash flows only to be replaced by clubs using that cash.

It sounds like they signed him on a free and was almost certainly agreed some time ago; I'd strongly suspect this happened because the agent/player saying 'make this formal or I'm looking elsewhere' - and for all we know he may well be subject to the same wage deductions on his original deal as the other players - so I suspect we just don't know enough of the facts to be too critical.

Looking at the free transfer market this morning and how's this for a team??

---------------------------Lloris-----------------------------
Meunier-----Dier------------Toby------Kurzawa
---------------Lo Celso-----Ndombele--------------
--Son------------------Goetze-----------------Fraser--
----------------------------Kane-------------------------------

Looking at the free transfer market this morning and how's this for a team??

---------------------------Lloris-----------------------------
Meunier-----Dier------------Toby------Kurzawa
---------------Lo Celso-----Ndombele--------------
--Son------------------Goetze-----------------Fraser--
----------------------------Kane-------------------------------

A CB pairing of a declining Alderweireld and not good enough Dier is one opposition would target and conquer.

We need a fantastic DM. Who? It will make our defense better. And if Jan leaves Davies can play LCB.

It sounds like they signed him on a free and was almost certainly agreed some time ago; I'd strongly suspect this happened because the agent/player saying 'make this formal or I'm looking elsewhere' - and for all we know he may well be subject to the same wage deductions on his original deal as the other players - so I suspect we just don't know enough of the facts to be too critical.
Good catch regarding it being on a free signing. I thought I had read that there was a 15 million fee.

Of course the caveat is that no signed is free when you consider he likely got a bonus for joining, but that too was likely agreed before this all started.

If next season's games will be played without spectators, it will be a huge blow for Spurs that have just moved to a new stadium!
Levy is not someone who will not take it seriously in connection with buying new players!
We shall see!

If next season's games will be played without spectators, it will be a huge blow for Spurs that have just moved to a new stadium!
Levy is not someone who will not take it seriously in connection with buying new players!
We shall see!

I don't think anyone will have money for transfers. And the TV rights contract will carry a lot of clubs through the season.

We sign players like Clarke, Sessignon and the like and we hardly see them in action. Does this mean that they are not good enough or what? We spend 25M on a player and we are now in for a 40M in Chilwell who plays in the same position. So the question that begs an answer is who recommends who we sign and who followed their progress for us to sign them?

We sign players like Clarke, Sessignon and the like and we hardly see them in action. Does this mean that they are not good enough or what? We spend 25M on a player and we are now in for a 40M in Chilwell who plays in the same position. So the question that begs an answer is who recommends who we sign and who followed their progress for us to sign them?
Nobody other than perhaps the big 2 from La Liga are actively looking to spend big on Galacticos. Most prefer to look for that diamond in the rough & of course we are no exception.

Nobody other than perhaps the big 2 from La Liga are actively looking to spend big on Galacticos. Most prefer to look for that diamond in the rough & of course we are no exception.
Agreed. But what I’m getting at is that for the combined amount we paid for both players we could have got Bruno Fernandez, who we were sure of getting and failed at the last hurdle as is our usual conclusions in the transfer market!

Agreed. But what I’m getting at is that for the combined amount we paid for both players we could have got Bruno Fernandez, who we were sure of getting and failed at the last hurdle as is our usual conclusions in the transfer market!
Can't put all our eggs in one basket, if we were to do that we'd be in even worse shape i reckon.

I have just read an article about each Premier League worst signing with ours being Soldado. Whilst agreeing that he didn’t set any houses on fire I think that our worst signing was if I remember correctly a Brazilian player called Gilberto. I remember him playing at left back against Arsenal and he gifted them the only goal of the game. He was seen smiling after the goal. I don’t think he played another game for us. Correct me if I’m wrong because loss of memory is creeping up on me !.

I have just read an article about each Premier League worst signing with ours being Soldado. Whilst agreeing that he didn’t set any houses on fire I think that our worst signing was if I remember correctly a Brazilian player called Gilberto. I remember him playing at left back against Arsenal and he gifted them the only goal of the game. He was seen smiling after the goal. I don’t think he played another game for us. Correct me if I’m wrong because loss of memory is creeping up on me !.
There are too many duds to be specific. Maybe relative to cost Soldado rates quite highly, but there have certainly been worse. Rebrov, Bentley and Paulhino are all challengers amongst signings from whom a lot more could have been expected, whilst we have also had a team full of young 'high potential' players who came and went without making any worthwhile impact.

There is dud and success but also middle ground contributors like Davies. Overall our signings are governed by the strategy imposed by finances, we dont pay top dollar.
The question for me is.....with the above in mind how have we managed to finish in the top 4 so often of late ?
Kane was almost let go but apparently Sherwood dug his heels in. Son was a shrewd buy, as was Eriksen, Alli, Lloris, Toby, Vert, Walker, Rose, Dembele, Modric and Bale.
If all the success and middle ground contributors like Sissoko, Lamela, Moura, Davies, Vorm etc are added together and stacked up against the true duds I wonder what the ratio is ?