Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation | Page 50 | Vital Football

Summer 2020 Transfer Speculation

Are we sure he would be 1st choice if he comes? He won't have played any games behind his defence, so will have no clue as too their ability, and if he can be confident in them, and them in him. Takes time for a keeper to gel with the defence, and we don't have that luxury at present.
i suppose it depends how soon we sign this keeper. still 10 days to go before match one.

ross looked solid enough to start the season, imo. noticeable when the highlights are all played together that he made some good saves last night. time for any new keeper (Palmer or whoever) to get to know the squad and the system, and to impress enough to win the first team place.

i remember that gilks didn't play for 3 weeks after he signed. think he had a slight injury, but it was possibly also to give him time to settle in.

allsop was also on the bench for the first game after he signed.

I think there’s debate amongst WBA fans that he’s good enough to be their number 2. If that is the case (big if) then you have to assume they’re sending him out to play otherwise I guess they’d have him sat on their own bench.

Probably bringing someone else in to sit on their bench to allow him to play.

West Brom gave Palmer a new 3 year contract this year, you don't do that if you don't rate him. Part of the promotion side at Plymouth, playing 37 games. My question would be - Is he just as likely to go back to Plymouth who are at our level now ?

West Brom gave Palmer a new 3 year contract this year, you don't do that if you don't rate him. Part of the promotion side at Plymouth, playing 37 games. My question would be - Is he just as likely to go back to Plymouth who are at our level now ?
"
After being the back-up to loan signing Alex Palmer last season, Cooper will now battle it out with 36-year-old McCormick for a place in the starting line-up.
"
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/ryan-lowe-argyle-luke-mccormick-4382499

Much as I think Sam Long is a good prospect for us, he isn't ready for the full squad just yet so we do need another keeper. We need that keeper to compete for the number 1 jersey. Ross from what I've seen is good enough, but without competition for the shirt, performances can slack. So we need another of at least comparable quality to compete for the starting spot. Palmer will tick that box

We need competition so let them fight it out for the number 1. Cannot start the season with only one experienced keeper. Enough time to develop an understanding including the various early Cup games.

You’ve got to start somewhere.
From 2 games I’ve seen he looks to be good in the air, made some good saves and decent kicking, long or short. He might be changing MA’s mind about needing a number one keeper for all we know.
True just think we'll do well to last the season with one very inexperienced keeper, granted Palmer hasn't played much more.

Definitely not a first choice keeper with barely 10 league games under his belt.

We barely have a team if you want bags of experience.

Edun, Scully, Montsma, Melbourne, Eyoma, Lewis, Roughan ...

Not sure how much more experience any of these have but they are all hoping to be first choices this season.

If you have good players and play them ...
they soon become good players with experience.

Hope we get Palmer as he is highly rated but Ross looks a good prospect too.

Not sure if it has been mentioned and I've missed it, but does anyone know what the latest situation is with Ellis Chapman?

Not sure if it has been mentioned and I've missed it, but does anyone know what the latest situation is with Ellis Chapman?

I'm not even sure Ellis knows......supposedly last seen driving into Brentford's training ground a couple of weeks ago, probably on trial.
Whatever happens in his future it won't be with us. That ship, judging by our midfield purchases of late is long sailed into the distance

I would imagine some honest discussions that let to Ellis not necessarily being an automatic first choice. You would be hard pushed to say he’s as good as what we have currently.
For Ellis he either drops a league and try to find a club he’ll get games, or invest time at an Under 23 setup.