Stupid stuff... | Page 3 | Vital Football

Stupid stuff...

Picking up a pane of glass as a kid, the two outer edges between my palms, then finding out that the edges were really quite jagged and my grip could have been better when it slid downwards between my hands.

Many years ago, when refitting the kitchen in our flat one of the changes was to move the cooker. I was aware how dangerous it was to cut through anything “live” so power was off. That is until I needed to check the new fitting. Having done that, the doorbell rang, and I went and helped the missus bring some stuff in.

Convinced the power was off, I went back to the job in hand, took out the bare metal tin snips and cut through the still live old Cooker lead. There was a crack and an extraordinary flash, and I was thrown backwards. I don’t know if I passed out but found myself on my back with a debilitating pain down both arms. Still have the tin snips, with an arc burned out of the top blade. It was a big shock, and definitely not to be repeated. Have stayed away from cooker electrics ever since.

Last edited:
After completing the London Marathon several years ago I found a suitable frame, put up a picture hook in the entrance, and displayed my finishers medal there. Over a period of time we noticed a damp smell, and on investigation started to narrow down where it was coming from. The medal was displayed above a radiator, and I had nailed the picture hook through the water pipe supplying it

After completing the London Marathon several years ago I found a suitable frame, put up a picture hook in the entrance, and displayed my finishers medal there. Over a period of time we noticed a damp smell, and on investigation started to narrow down where it was coming from. The medal was displayed above a radiator, and I had nailed the picture hook through the water pipe supplying it

On a similar note about 15 years ago, moved into our new house. Desperate to get the broadband up to my desk I strung some cat5 cable along some cable tacks from the phone point in the front room to the back of the house. Smacked a cable tack into a nice soft plastic trunking only to find the previous owner had used it to cover the central heating pipe from upstairs. Had been in the house precisely one day when I called on our new plumber neighbour to bail me out. What a gent he was!

We had creaky floor boards on the landing.

My wife's last words before she went out "Don't knock a nail into a water pipe" received an icy "No dear" in response.

However, a few minutes later I heard a watery sort of noise.

It was 30th December and quite chilly, so we ideally needed some heating in the house. I went to hardware shop and discovered something called epoxy putty and bought some. I put a blob on the punctured pipe and it's still there over 36 years later.

Not me, but a friend once turned up with a perfectly round bruise in the centre of his forehead. When I asked how he got it, he explained he had been fitting a roof-rack to his van.

This item had fairly fierce suction caps attached to the framework. As a jape, he thought it would be fun to attach one to his head. Took him about 30 minutes of wandring around with a pole attached to his forehead before he got it off and, hence, the bruise. :)

Not me, but a friend once turned up with a perfectly round bruise in the centre of his forehead. When I asked how he got it, he explained he had been fitting a roof-rack to his van.

This item had fairly fierce suction caps attached to the framework. As a jape, he thought it would be fun to attach one to his head. Took him about 30 minutes of wandring around with a pole attached to his forehead before he got it off and, hence, the bruise. :)

My younger son did a similar trick. Ended up with a bruise around his mouth and chin after "sucking in" a pint glass, then struggling to get it off

Mrs Notty, as a youngster, managed to get her knee stuck between the back rungs of a chair at a friend's house. Friend's dad had to saw the back off the chair to free her. :)

During DT class we designed and made a 'match gun', which was essentially a small cannon powered by crushed match-heads (Not with the teacher's permission, I should add).

Whilst loading it and ramming down the match-powder, the friction ignited it and nearly blew by forefinger off.

Moral: guns are bad.

During DT class we designed and made a 'match gun', which was essentially a small cannon powered by crushed match-heads (Not with the teacher's permission, I should add).

Whilst loading it and ramming down the match-powder, the friction ignited it and nearly blew by forefinger off.

Moral: guns are bad.

That crossbow we made that time doesn't seem like such a good idea now either..

I once convinced a drunken mate that he could lift himself and a wooden chair off the ground by pulling upwards on the staves underneath.

A useful bit of advice would be to take care when opening sugar sachets,having been offered coffee at a job interview. I remember one incidence when I yanked it open and sugar spread all over the table !

I didn't get the job.

We had creaky floor boards on the landing.

My wife's last words before she went out "Don't knock a nail into a water pipe" received an icy "No dear" in response.

However, a few minutes later I heard a watery sort of noise.

It was 30th December and quite chilly, so we ideally needed some heating in the house. I went to hardware shop and discovered something called epoxy putty and bought some. I put a blob on the punctured pipe and it's still there over 36 years later.
A couple of days after operation to remove wisdom teeth, and therefore not at my best, we'd booked a carpet fitting for the bathroom. A couple of loose floor boards needed nailing down, "don't hit the pipes" is the repeated thought in my painkiller-addled brain.

Carpet fitter arrives, only to call me up a few minutes later to point out the damp patch appearing on a floor board. "Think you have a problem" is his understated comment. The growing damp patch on the kitchen ceiling confirms this so off goes the carpet fitter, up comes the floor board, temporary repairs to stem the leak and a plumber for a proper repair a couple of hours later.

Carpet fitted a week later once everything had dried out.

Once used a chunky piece of wood to stabilise my stepladder so I could get onto the shed roof to make a repair. Little did I know, there was a nail sticking up from the wood. Inevitably I trod on it on my way back down and it went straight through my shoe and into my foot.

Once used a chunky piece of wood to stabilise my stepladder so I could get onto the shed roof to make a repair. Little did I know, there was a nail sticking up from the wood. Inevitably I trod on it on my way back down and it went straight through my shoe and into my foot.

Ouch! Tetanus up to date?

Ouch! Tetanus up to date?
Had to get it topped up! I haven't had much luck with this topic. As a kid I trod on a piece of wire sticking straight up out of the sand on a beach (?!) and also once got a long sliver of glass in the sole of my foot. I still remember having to remove the glass as it kept catching. *Shudder*