STOP PRESS - Raheem Sterling eats breakfast | Page 2 | Vital Football

STOP PRESS - Raheem Sterling eats breakfast

Utterly desperate stuff. The Sun failed categorically to mention that Damilola Taylor wasn’t shot but clearly wanted the implication to be made subliminally.

Martin Samuel at least adds some sense to the ‘debate’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Raheem-Sterlings-gun-tattoo-easy-target.html

Meanwhile the BBC insist on continuing to show the tattoo. My question is .....if they and everyone else is so concerned about the impact of this ink......perhaps they should stop showing It?

With all the real problems in the world, this mess has carried into day two. The press has turned into a crackpot internet forum.

I’ve been trying to think why the Sun is pursuing this relentless campaign of vitriol against Raheem and my theory is that they are desperate to appease the Liverpool fans, who hate Raz with a passion.
No-one buys the Sun in Liverpool and haven’t since that terrible day in 1989 when they lost their 96 at Hillsborough. I now believe this is a ploy by the Sun driven by their need to get their disgusting rag back in favour with the dippers.

You're not alone in thinking like that Rising, I've seen numerous City fans put forward a similar point Rising.

I wouldn't dismiss it but I'm more inclined to believe that it's all about clicks, the Sun are aware that a large part of their readership is racist so what better way to pander to them than attacking a successful young black man.

It’s probably a combination of both those points, BD.
Either way, it is disgraceful so-called “journalism” and why they appear to be immune to the new hate laws, I cannot understand.

In the twisted minds of the S*n’s senior management and editorial ranks that may be part of their intent but I do think that boat has sailed. I cannot see them ever being forgiven by Merseysiders for how they dealt with Hillsborough.

BD may well have nailed it though - the other, main part of their strategy is purely financial. Through their constant pursuit of the headlines which have been highlighted so vividly in the links posted above is about click bait. Generated money from people reacting to the ‘dog whistles’ and wanting to be ‘outraged’ so they check it out and bingo the advertising revenue stream is enhanced.

There may be an element of rag or red within their editorial teams though who think that anything which can undermine the lad is good for their sides. Personal agenda’s can emerge in positions of influence and when they align with corporate interests then the brakes are off.

While I understand the calls to ban the Sun, and have sympathy for them, a part of me wonders what depths they would then go to if this happened.
A honey trap for Sterling, gloves off (if they aren't already), in pursuit of the club :hmmm:

Good thing about Twitter is that people post excerpts from articles so you see what's said without having to click on the Sun's website.

That is a positive. One of their principal drivers behind this kind of relentless garbage is to generate clicks and therefore revenue stream.