🚺 Spurs Women | Vital Football

🚺 Spurs Women

Geofspurs

Vital Squad Member
On the forum we have threads for everything to do with THFC and football in general …. except the Women’s team.

We have threads on all of the Men’s games, on the officials, on predictions, on individual players, on the manager, on all of the Men’s competitions, on International competitions, on player ratings, on player injuries, on MOTM, etc, etc. There is also a range of threads outside of football which members are interested in and which add depth to the site.

Apart from a thread on ‘female pundits’ there is no dedicated thread or acknowledgement (please correct me if I am wrong) of women’s football, either playing for THFC or elsewhere.

Given the way the WSL has progressed in the last 5/6 years, and the standard of football females throughout Europe have shown they are capable of, should this not be given some acknowledgement with a dedicated thread on this forum?

Crowds watching WSL are increasing. Some WSL teams now play some of their league games at their club’s main stadium …. something that was unheard of not long ago.

Should the Spurs women’s team, under the THFC umbrella, be acknowledged with a dedicated thread on this forum (albeit, obviously, not to the same extent as the men’s team, but in an attempt to keep up with the times)? To Dare Is To Do!

Just wondering ....

This is how I, accidentally, became interested in Women’s football.

I have never followed Australian ‘soccer’. The A-league is simply not good enough. I watch the Socceroos and some Asian Cup games, but that’s about it …. or it was!

A few years ago I kept hearing about this young Matildas player who hailed from my part of the world in WA. I was interested because her older brother was a WA legend in Aussie Rules football and I had watched him in his playing days.

The young Matilda player’s name was Sam Kerr. I started watching all of the Matildas games and was amazed at the standard of football. I was also amazed by Kerr, the young striker. As much as possible, I followed her career in Australia and the States …. she swung between both leagues each year, and was a GB winner in both leagues virtually every season.

Three years ago Chelsea signed her and her WSL career started. Just like the PL, the WSL is one of the top leagues in football and boasts most of the best women’s players on the planet. So how would Kerr go, I wondered. She won the GB for the first two seasons (and maybe this season too) and a clutch of medals as she helped Chelsea win competition after competition. Unexpectedly, the more I watched Kerr, the more I saw the other brilliant players in her Chelsea team. And I finally understood what women in football are capable of.

The English team that won the Euros are a prime example. They are so good to watch.

A bonus for me is that there is a sprinkling of Matilda players across the best WSL clubs which gives me a vested interest in Chelsea, City, United, and Arsenal, as well as Spurs.

With the Women’s WC being held in Australia and NZ in July 23, I can keep track of the progress and development of many Matildas players. City have just signed a young Australian midfielder, Mary Fowler, who has the potential to match Kerr in terms of her impact on the game.

As for Spurs Women; they are relatively new to the WSL and have much catching up to do to compete with the top four or five clubs in the league. The next couple of seasons should indicate how that might go.

We'll find out in a few days, I guess. But it does look like it will happen. Hopefully it won't be the only signing, if it does happen.

So do you think THFC should let the women's section run at a loss for a few years to build the revenues? I tend to think that way, not really knowing whether women's football will ever create the same revenues in the future.

Could it be that mens and womens football are the same size at some point? That probably takes a generation or two.

@Geofspurs please feel free to post a match thread for each women's game a week in advance. We can add Predictor threads next year and allocate prize money there when we get someone who wants to run that contest for a full season.

I would suggest that we use a WPL prefix at the beginning of each thread title and MPL on the Men's thread titles from now on.

So do you think THFC should let the women's section run at a loss for a few years to build the revenues? I tend to think that way, not really knowing whether women's football will ever create the same revenues in the future.

Could it be that mens and womens football are the same size at some point? That probably takes a generation or two.

You have made yourself a job mate . Pick it up and run with it .
I’m sure there will be plenty of interest , maybe even get a lot of ladies on here .
Great idea . Over to you .
Well .... thanks, mate .... I think! lol

The
@Geofspurs please feel free to post a match thread for each women's game a week in advance. We can add Predictor threads next year and allocate prize money there when we get someone who wants to run that contest for a full season.

I would suggest that we use a WPL prefix at the beginning of each thread title and MPL on the Men's thread titles from now on.
There is already a distinction between the two; the women's league is the WSL and, of course, the men's is the PL.
No promises but, if there is enough interest and with some help(?), I'll see what I can do.

That is the operative question …. I don’t know the answer. But looking at the progress of women’s football in terms of the skill level, the increase of supporters, the coverage of games (Optus now shows all WSL games), the success of the recent Euros, the European clubs that take part in the Women’s CL, the increase in salaries, and the support many teams are beginning to enjoy by their parent club …. the sky appears to be the limit. It seems to be snowballing.

It should be remembered that men have played a game that has evolved over 150 years. By comparison, women have just started …. but they are evolving rapidly on the back of what the men’s game has achieved. If females have access to, and enjoy, the same support and conditions as the men enjoy, who knows how far it can go. As far as the power-brokers of the game are concerned, there is the potential for a huge profit, and it’s that potential that currently speaks the loudest in the football world.

The

There is already a distinction between the two; the women's league is the WSL and, of course, the men's is the PL.
No promises but, if there is enough interest and with some help(?), I'll see what I can do.

I would run a test for two years to see what kind of following you gain over that time period. The consistency and reliability of having those micro forums available for discussion of each game over an extended time period will build a following (or not). If you do it we can chat with The Fear about promoting it somehow. It's a real opportunity to build something worthwhile and I think you have timed it perfectly.

I would run a test for two years to see what kind of following you gain over that time period. The consistency and reliability of having those micro forums available for discussion of each game over an extended time period will build a following (or not). If you do it we can chat with The Fear about promoting it somehow. It's a real opportunity to build something worthwhile and I think you have timed it perfectly.

TQ has an interest perhaps he would be a good partner to get it going.

I think it’s too early for that. The thing is, people need to find a reason to watch the women’s game, whether it comes from curiosity, something they’ve been told, or accidentally, like me. It’s only by watching women playing at the top level that people will understand what is happening.

The front page started previewing and reporting on Spurs WSL games this season, and still does, but it obviously did not reach the forum. Ironically, the front page has become a lonely and pointless place and there is nobody left to comment on either the men or the women teams.

My initial thought was that a ‘Spurs Women’ thread allows anyone to comment if and when they wish, and would provide the opportunity for further interest and discussion to develop. It doesn’t have to incorporate the same coverage and intensity as the men’s side. But it does create a constant reminder that women play skilful, attractive and entertaining football at a much higher level than previously thought (by those who have never watched it) …. and that there is a women’s team representing THFC. Maybe that is enough to generate more interest in the months ahead.

I think it’s too early for that. The thing is, people need to find a reason to watch the women’s game, whether it comes from curiosity, something they’ve been told, or accidentally, like me. It’s only by watching women playing at the top level that people will understand what is happening.

The front page started previewing and reporting on Spurs WSL games this season, and still does, but it obviously did not reach the forum. Ironically, the front page has become a lonely and pointless place and there is nobody left to comment on either the men or the women teams.

My initial thought was that a ‘Spurs Women’ thread allows anyone to comment if and when they wish, and would provide the opportunity for further interest and discussion to develop. It doesn’t have to incorporate the same coverage and intensity as the men’s side. But it does create a constant reminder that women play skilful, attractive and entertaining football at a much higher level than previously thought (by those who have never watched it) …. and that there is a women’s team representing THFC. Maybe that is enough to generate more interest in the months ahead.

BBC has full women's coverage blended with the men's. The first forum to do that and market it well will be the go to place for discussion. It's zero cost preparation.

I'd definitely be interested in content here for the women's team, and hope the club gives its full (financial) support.

We get some of the WSL games on TV here and I always watch Spurs Women when I can. My daughter closely follows the WSL and women's football in general so I'm always getting info from her.

Tottenham smash WSL transfer record as Chelsea star Beth England joins London rivals
The England international is looking to reinstate herself in Sarina Wiegman's squad ahead of the summer's Women's World Cup with consistent game time with eighth-place Tottenham Hotspur

Womens Football
By
Megan Feringa
  • 12:53, 4 JAN 2023

Beth England has confirmed her record-breaking transfer from Chelsea to London rivals Tottenham Hotspur in a move worth £250,000, making England the most expensive British player in the Women's Super League by eclipsing Lauren James' previously record-setting £200,000 move from Manchester United to Chelsea in 2021.

The England international has signed a three-year contract with Spurs, seeing her at the club until June 2026.

The move marks the end of England's seven-year career with the reigning champions, in which England notched 164 appearances, 74 goals, 10 trophies and the 2019-2020 Player of the Season award.

England was Chelsea’s top scorer in the 2018-2019 campaign, notching 22 goals in all competitions, before repeating that feat in the 2019-2020 season in which Chelsea claimed the Continental League Cup courtesy of England’s winning goal and were awarded the title on points per game in the Covid-curtailed season.
Related Articles
In a message posted to Twitter, the 28-year-old wrote a heartfelt message to the Blues faithful. It read: “To my Blues family, where do I start? It has been the biggest honour to play for this amazing club that has been my home for the past seven years.

"Every time I have stepped out onto the pitch I have given my all for Chelsea and our incredible fans. I’m so proud to have played my part in the success we have achieved over the years. I’m leaving Chelsea with 164 appearances, 74 goals, 10 trophies and countless memories that will last forever.

“I want to thank everyone who has supported me throughout my time as a Blue. I’m so grateful to have friendships to last a lifetime.

“Everyone knows how much I love Chelsea, and the club will always hold a special place in my heart.”

The move comes as a major coup for Spurs, who have struggled in front of goal this season and sit eighth in the table. Rehanne Skinner’s side have managed just 11 goals in nine league games this season, with eight arriving in the thrashing of Brighton at the end of October. Spurs have not registered a league goal since.

The underwhelming start to the season and a lack of clinical edge have served as major points of frustration for Spurs, who will be hopeful that England’s prowess in the final third can shift the gear on their goal drought and fire them back into the hunt to break into the top four.

England boasts 11 goals in 21 games for the Lionesses and arrives as part of the triumphant Euro 2022 squad, though she failed to record a single minute of game time.

Indeed, this season England has struggled to insert herself into Chelsea manager Emma Hayes’ game plan and has started just two league games all season. The lack of minutes her dropped from Sarina Wiegman’s last two Lionesses squads in October and November. Her last goal arrived in September’s World Cup qualifier as part of England’s 10-0 demolition of Luxembourg.

And with the summer’s Women’s World Cup coming into view, it is understood England’s motivation for consistent game time to reinstate herself in Wiegman's squad plans has catalysed her move to north London.

Tottenham return to WSL action on 14 January with an away match to Aston Villa, while Chelsea will travel to title-chasing rivals Arsenal on 15 January.

Tottenham smash WSL transfer record as Chelsea star Beth England joins London rivals
The England international is looking to reinstate herself in Sarina Wiegman's squad ahead of the summer's Women's World Cup with consistent game time with eighth-place Tottenham Hotspur

Womens Football
By
Megan Feringa
  • 12:53, 4 JAN 2023

Beth England has confirmed her record-breaking transfer from Chelsea to London rivals Tottenham Hotspur in a move worth £250,000, making England the most expensive British player in the Women's Super League by eclipsing Lauren James' previously record-setting £200,000 move from Manchester United to Chelsea in 2021.

The England international has signed a three-year contract with Spurs, seeing her at the club until June 2026.

The move marks the end of England's seven-year career with the reigning champions, in which England notched 164 appearances, 74 goals, 10 trophies and the 2019-2020 Player of the Season award.

England was Chelsea’s top scorer in the 2018-2019 campaign, notching 22 goals in all competitions, before repeating that feat in the 2019-2020 season in which Chelsea claimed the Continental League Cup courtesy of England’s winning goal and were awarded the title on points per game in the Covid-curtailed season.
Related Articles
In a message posted to Twitter, the 28-year-old wrote a heartfelt message to the Blues faithful. It read: “To my Blues family, where do I start? It has been the biggest honour to play for this amazing club that has been my home for the past seven years.

"Every time I have stepped out onto the pitch I have given my all for Chelsea and our incredible fans. I’m so proud to have played my part in the success we have achieved over the years. I’m leaving Chelsea with 164 appearances, 74 goals, 10 trophies and countless memories that will last forever.

“I want to thank everyone who has supported me throughout my time as a Blue. I’m so grateful to have friendships to last a lifetime.

“Everyone knows how much I love Chelsea, and the club will always hold a special place in my heart.”

The move comes as a major coup for Spurs, who have struggled in front of goal this season and sit eighth in the table. Rehanne Skinner’s side have managed just 11 goals in nine league games this season, with eight arriving in the thrashing of Brighton at the end of October. Spurs have not registered a league goal since.

The underwhelming start to the season and a lack of clinical edge have served as major points of frustration for Spurs, who will be hopeful that England’s prowess in the final third can shift the gear on their goal drought and fire them back into the hunt to break into the top four.

England boasts 11 goals in 21 games for the Lionesses and arrives as part of the triumphant Euro 2022 squad, though she failed to record a single minute of game time.

Indeed, this season England has struggled to insert herself into Chelsea manager Emma Hayes’ game plan and has started just two league games all season. The lack of minutes her dropped from Sarina Wiegman’s last two Lionesses squads in October and November. Her last goal arrived in September’s World Cup qualifier as part of England’s 10-0 demolition of Luxembourg.

And with the summer’s Women’s World Cup coming into view, it is understood England’s motivation for consistent game time to reinstate herself in Wiegman's squad plans has catalysed her move to north London.

Tottenham return to WSL action on 14 January with an away match to Aston Villa, while Chelsea will travel to title-chasing rivals Arsenal on 15 January.
It's certainly a step in the right direction .... let's hope there's a few more steps to come. It makes the upcoming game against Villa more interesting.

It's certainly a step in the right direction .... let's hope there's a few more steps to come. It makes the upcoming game against Villa more interesting.
Would like to see an attacking play maker come in as well, a female Eriksen if you like, which will make a big difference.

Would like to see an attacking play maker come in as well, a female Eriksen if you like, which will make a big difference.
Exactly. England will be wasted unless she gets support on the pitch. I'm conscious that she was not usually a starter at Chelsea, more a squad member in the last two or three seasons. She needs players around her.

Aston Villa again showing ambition by signing Jordan Nobbs following the addition of Rachel Daly in the summer.