Some good news ..... | Page 10 | Vital Football

Some good news .....

We seem to be giving them too much ball. Go one up and defend for an hour and twenty seems to be released tactics down the whole cub.

could have had 3 in the first 10 minutes and hardly a sniff since.

Enjoyable game, under the cosh most of second half but hit on the break well and took the chance when it came. Some excellent saves from Watson, particularly the 2 first half.

Did what they had to do, could have had a couple more, but they could have had one or two themselves. Watson looked solid as a rock in goal and looks a really good prospect, Carragher was very good it would be a real shame to lose him. Very proud of this team and they should be very proud of themselves, rounded the season off perfectly! UTYFT!

Well done to the U18s on winning their league and play off final.

I started watching on about 40 mins and despite Charlton having the majority of the ball we created the better chances and weren't really threatened. We gave the ball away a lot with unnecessary long balls but when we got it down and played we looked quite dangerous.

I thought Carragher stood out so I can see why other clubs are showing interest.

When we see the youth levels doing well it's easy for us fans to say 'give the kids a chance' but without trying to be disrespectful to the young lads you can really tell the difference in quality between the youth and the men's game. That's completely understandable but it's easy to forget if you don't see that many youth games and just see the results. So we've got to remember that and realise as much potential as they may be showing we've got to be patient and not throw them in until they are ready. I think it makes it even more impressive how Robinson managed to take to the men's game so quickly when thrown in at the deep end at such a young age.

I started watching on about 40 mins and despite Charlton having the majority of the ball we created the better chances and weren't really threatened. We gave the ball away a lot with unnecessary long balls but when we got it down and played we looked quite dangerous.

I thought Carragher stood out so I can see why other clubs are showing interest.

When we see the youth levels doing well it's easy for us fans to say 'give the kids a chance' but without trying to be disrespectful to the young lads you can really tell the difference in quality between the youth and the men's game. That's completely understandable but it's easy to forget if you don't see that many youth games and just see the results. So we've got to remember that and realise as much potential as they may be showing we've got to be patient and not throw them in until they are ready. I think it makes it even more impressive how Robinson managed to take to the men's game so quickly when thrown in at the deep end at such a young age.
Totally agree, but missing the first 40 minutes meant you missed the best of Wigan's performance tonight, they were very good certainly for the first 30 minutes and were unlucky to not be at least 2 or 3 nil up.

I agree but what I think last season showed us is that at League One level you can blood these young players and give them the experience they need to progress. They don’t need to play week in week out but they can certainly play a big part in the squad getting valuable minutes along the way. I hope last season gives our management team the confidence to trust in the young players and to give them a chance. I think throwing young kids like that in at Championship level (your Gelhardts are an exception) can be a step too far, but I would have no qualms with us having more of our young kids in and around the first team squad next season

Didn't watch it all, but what I did watch, Carragher impressed me as well, he's clearly improved dramatically over the past year or so. Saw enough of him that to suggest that he could have played a part in L1 next season should he have been paired with a big bastard CB to help guide him through whenever he's on the pitch. This level is not at all daunting, no reason why he couldn't have filled out the squad. He's making a big mistake leaving, but it's his mistake to make. I'm gutted for Rioch and the club that their hard work won't see them rewarded by seeing him in a Latics first team shirt. Ditto McGurk.

So if we win the final, do we get promoted to whatever the league is that the big clubs play in like Utd, Liverpool etc?

By the way, to put that result into perspective, Ipswich were FA Youth Cup semi finalists this season so a serious achievement to beat them.

No. The PL teams have a 24 team u18 league split 12/12 North and South which means FA Youth Cup apart our boys never play the top sides. Think ESL.

Great performance overall, but for me the stand out lad was the Goallie Watson.

Not under pressure all the game but did what he need to do when needed and made at least 2 very good saves.

No. The PL teams have a 24 team u18 league split 12/12 North and South which means FA Youth Cup apart our boys never play the top sides. Think ESL.

I believe the academies are split based on what level they are at, but if a club sufficiently inverted to move into the higher category would they change leagues automatically? As if they did it would make the numbers odd.

I believe the academies are split based on what level they are at, but if a club sufficiently inverted to move into the higher category would they change leagues automatically? As if they did it would make the numbers odd.

Not sure. Looks like category one academies are in the u18 league. Unlikely we will commit the required investment to reach that level or have the facilities.