So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 16 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2. How do we get a "worldie" given your recruitment strategy of showing him the worldie that we already have, if we need a worldie to attract him in the first place?

As I said you talk to them and sell them a vision.... i.e. we're keep Jack and we also have plans to sign a, b and/or c, so you're just going to be part of a whole new raft of quality coming in.

I get the FFP restraints.... that's fine, I don't know what we're able to spend and still remain within that as I'm no accountant, but I'd like to think we'd be pushing it to the limit.

As I said you talk to them and sell them a vision.... i.e. we're keep Jack and we also have plans to sign a, b and/or c, so you're just going to be part of a whole new raft of quality coming in.

I get the FFP restraints.... that's fine, I don't know what we're able to spend and still remain within that as I'm no accountant, but I'd like to think we'd be pushing it to the limit.
I think they probably pushed the limit on Ming's last season and if our number 1 targets are there for the taking, I'd agree, but not for 4th or 5th level targets.

Just too many unknowns for us to judge what the owners are actually thinking and doing. We're making it up off press "stories".

I get the FFP bit but in order to to be successful on the pitch you have to be successful off it by attracting more lucrative commercial deals. You are never going to do this by buying average or below average players. If for instance we only have £100m to spend, then imo that would be enough for 3 players maximum. We have to stop this policy of buying risks, we have tried it before and it just doesn't work.

I keep hearing the owners saying that their policy is sustainable success. I see the sustainability but not the success.

Are their words just spin?

It is funny during the transfer window seeing the board etc. being completely slated over things like transfer rumours and budget which usually have no truth to them whatsoever

Yes we know it's bollocks but all get sucked in. About I in 30 rumours might be right. Hardly going to announce there is 100m budget or even the fact Jacks price is 80m is simply isn't for sale even at 80m

Yes we know it's bollocks but all get sucked in. About I in 30 rumours might be right. Hardly going to announce there is 100m budget or even the fact Jacks price is 80m is simply isn't for sale even at 80m

Believe me, I'm worse than most, I'll post any old guff in the transfer thread.

I just find it amusing the pelters the club gets sometimes over daft rumours that they can't do anything about, I'm sure it's the same with every club.

Last edited:
Yep, all bull, and I'm not impressed with any of the links so far. Someone said it on one of the threads, the first signing should be a statement. Then we can stick two fingers up at the press. Common Villa, you know you want to :cup:

I'd rather have Nyland than Joe Hart. The most overrated keepe I've ever seen. How he got the caps he did I'll never know.

Going off-topic so I'll keep it brief. I feel your perception of Joe Hart is based on the last 5 years. Up until sometime around 2013-2014, he repeatedly showed his class (something he did still do in flashes after the downfall began); before then, he was very much a talented goalkeeper. I actually do have sympathy for how his form tailed off and career nosedived.

Going off-topic so I'll keep it brief. I feel your perception of Joe Hart is based on the last 5 years. Up until sometime around 2013-2014, he repeatedly showed his class (something he did still do in flashes after the downfall began); before then, he was very much a talented goalkeeper. I actually do have sympathy for how his form tailed off and career nosedived.
Another example of how fragile the confidence of a goalkeeper can be. A couple of "big" mistakes and getting dropped from a high profile starting position can literally end your career. Jim Leighton, Mervyn Day (he was playing for Wet Spam in the CWC Final as a 20 year old and it took him ten years to find his way back ironically in our team) and Joe Hart are prime examples.... Outfield players can make multiple mistakes each game and it's rarely noticed, but one lapse from a keeper and they are done for.....
This rant brought to you by a fully paid subscriber to the goalkeeper's union... :blah::blah::blah:

I get the FFP bit but in order to to be successful on the pitch you have to be successful off it by attracting more lucrative commercial deals. You are never going to do this by buying average or below average players. If for instance we only have £100m to spend, then imo that would be enough for 3 players maximum. We have to stop this policy of buying risks, we have tried it before and it just doesn't work.

I keep hearing the owners saying that their policy is sustainable success. I see the sustainability but not the success.

Are their words just spin?

Just a bit concerned about what you would call success mate.
Promotion, I think that's success and I bet the vast majority of fans would agree.
Survival in the toughest league in the world, (probably), (nod to Carlsberg). I would, under the circumstances, consider that a success. (Ask Norwich fans if the would swap places).

We are not fucking Norwich.

Getting promoted - great, we won the play off final from 5th place.

Scraping survival on the last day of season? If that's success to you then fine but I call it desperate poor management all season with a dose of luck (when results went our way for weeks).

Success has to be eventually winning things. In the short term however success would be getting comfortable mid table and a solid foundation to compete, the way Wolves have done the last two seasons. You've then got a platform from which to decide whether to push to the next level - a lot depends at that point on the real ambition that the owners have.

We are not fucking Norwich.

Getting promoted - great, we won the play off final from 5th place.

Scraping survival on the last day of season? If that's success to you then fine but I call it desperate poor management all season with a dose of luck (when results went our way for weeks).

Success has to be eventually winning things. In the short term however success would be getting comfortable mid table and a solid foundation to compete, the way Wolves have done the last two seasons. You've then got a platform from which to decide whether to push to the next level - a lot depends at that point on the real ambition that the owners have.
Wolves haven't won anything. Not even been to a cup final, unlike us.

Wolves haven't won anything. Not even been to a cup final, unlike us.

Well I'd rather be in Wolves shoes right now, established in the PL, competing just under the big boys in the table, better squad, great coach, great foundation to push on.

Sorry but going to the Mickey Mouse cup final after basically beating one decent side can get to fuck, its totally worthless, IMHO.

id swap places with wolves too... if nuno stays theyll kick on again, and theyve got an excellent recruitment policy..... not many duds brought in over the last couple of years

Well I'd rather be in Wolves shoes right now, established in the PL, competing just under the big boys in the table, better squad, great coach, great foundation to push on.

Sorry but going to the Mickey Mouse cup final after basically beating one decent side can get to fuck, its totally worthless, IMHO.
It's not a Mickey mouse cup though is it? It's one of two cups that 18 out of 20 clubs in the league can realistically attempt to win. It's a route into europe. Its silverware. Give me cup finals any day over a bloody 6th place finish, had plenty of those under MON without any satisfaction. Wolves haven't won anything yet, they've spent a lot of money and wages on decent players and they're two or three seasons further up the development ladder than we are, but we are on the ladder and we will overtake them soon enough.

id swap places with wolves too... if nuno stays theyll kick on again, and theyve got an excellent recruitment policy..... not many duds brought in over the last couple of years

They’re mainly signing players that most haven’t heard of as well. They sign players to fit their system, not just well known names who have performed well in any old system

The judge of success is generational. Fans who only know the premier league and the champions league judge success as finishing in a certain upper league position and or qualifying for a tournament (the champions league).

For me personally, I was around before the reinvention of football in 1992 and judge true success as winning something whether it league or fizzy pop cup . Yes you have to build to get there and you could class year upon year improvement on league position as success of sort but you have to win something. That's why I do not buy into the judging of Poch as a true success. It seems that the Spurs board would agree. Classic case of improvement but when push came to shove consistent failure to win even a fizzy pop cup . They showed ambition by getting rid in my opinion. Not prepared to sit and be patronisingly patted on the head for reaching finals or finishing just off top spot. Board and fans quite rightly asking questions. As I posted past week and you can quote me on this if it ever happens but I guarantee if we were in spurs position after 5 years under Poch there would be serious questions being asked on here about getting rid of him because of not winning anything. MON and 3 years of 6th anyone ?

Modern football and the money involved has completely confused what success is. Name me another sport where finishing 4th is so lucratively rewarded and indeed lauded.

They’re mainly signing players that most haven’t heard of as well. They sign players to fit their system, not just well known names who have performed well in any old system
Alf Ramsey picked players to fit his system and won the World Cup with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.