So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 15 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep seeing that we might be giving Reina a two year deal. Not sure about this - I like him as a character, but for me he has just aged too much.

Joe Hart is available on a free. I'd prefer to get him in for a year than Reina. We all know as soon as Heaton is up and running he'd be a reserve, so it would only be a short term fix, but for me Hart > Reina

I'd rather have Nyland than Joe Hart. The most overrated keepe I've ever seen. How he got the caps he did I'll never know.

That's a very, very bold statement! Have we had a poorer keeper than Nyland? Bunn maybe?
I'd rather have Nyland than Joe Hart. The most overrated keepe I've ever seen. How he got the caps he did I'll never know.

That's a very, very bold statement! Have we had a poorer keeper than Nyland? Bunn maybe?

Bunn was dreadful as well. Think he cost us a goal every game he played. Plus Harts already spent time sitting on the bench watching Heaton so he's not going to want to do it again. And he's god awful. Genuinely don't understand how he got more than a handful of England caps.

Reports are that we have a £100 million transfer kitty.

If true then I guess that shows the owners really aren't that serious about getting us competing again.

Prob just underplaying it so we don't get bid up on our actual £300 mill kitty
innit

young lad Kante available at Chelsea - be handy backup if we re-sign Drinky

If Heaton is back Sept we don't need Reina,Hart or any other long past it keeper surely

Prob just underplaying it so we don't get bid up on our actual £300 mill kitty
innit

young lad Kante available at Chelsea - be handy backup if we re-sign Drinky

If Heaton is back Sept we don't need Reina,Hart or any other long past it keeper surely
I don't think he will be ready by then though. Can see him not being ready until closer to Christmas. He has just started training again I think?

Reports are that we have a £100 million transfer kitty.

If true then I guess that shows the owners really aren't that serious about getting us competing again.
I know that's sarcasm, but if we do have that to spend, you can't fault the owners in their efforts. Whilst I'd like 140 mil and get 5 top class players, consistently spending 100 mil a season is a far cry from what we are used to!

The season before the snake and Tekkers left, didn't we have a budget of about 7 million?

I don't think he will be ready by then though. Can see him not being ready until closer to Christmas. He has just started training again I think?

Yes can expect a bloke to be out 9 months with a serious injury and come straight back in and be up to speed its a long job, he may never be the same again and he does suffer a fair few injuries

It wasn't.
For real?!

I'm all for serious success, but 100 mil is more than most other clubs will be spending this year, bar the usual suspects. If we only spent that and still sold Grealish, I'd be pissed. But 100 mil without selling any of our performers. That's not bad at all. 140 would be even better mind you ; )

How much are you actually hoping for?

For real?!

I'm all for serious success, but 100 mil is more than most other clubs will be spending this year, bar the usual suspects. If we only spent that and still sold Grealish, I'd be pissed. But 100 mil without selling any of our performers. That's not bad at all. 140 would be even better mind you ; )

How much are you actually hoping for?

It's the way they are speaking though.

If they came out and said, "we're going to make sure we're not in another relegation scrap next season" and then pledged £100 million, I'd think, yeah that'll probably do it.

But they are talking about "sustained success at the TOP table of EUROPEAN football".

Now I don't expect that will happen over night, but if you look at other teams that have come from nowhere to serious compete (Chelsea under Abramovich and City under the Sheik), they made sure they brought in the right staff and players at whatever cost to make them competitive.

The way they are talking then that's what I expect.

But I think they are just paying us lip service again... we'll be 12th at best on a £100 mill spend. We certainly won't be signing any 'worldies'..... to do that you have to sell them a vision, convince them that you are serious by signing other 'worldies' and a top manager to go with it.

We're not doing any of that.

If they came out and said, "we're going to make sure we're not in another relegation scrap next season" and then pledged £100 million, I'd think, yeah that'll probably do it.

But they are talking about "sustained success at the TOP table of EUROPEAN football".

Now I don't expect that will happen over night, but if you look at other teams that have come from nowhere to serious compete (Chelsea under Abramovich and City under the Sheik), they made sure they brought in the right staff and players at whatever cost to make them competitive.

But I think they are just paying us lip service again... we'll be 12th at best on a £100 mill spend. We certainly won't be signing any 'worldies'..... to do that you have to sell them a vision, convince them that you are serious by signing other 'worldies' and a top manager to go with it.

I get where you are coming from, but FFP wasn't a thing when Chelsea and City bought the league. That just couldn't happen anymore.

If we get success, it will take several seasons of sustained progress. Our owners talking about bringing us back to Europe might be lip service, but we won't find out whether they are genuine about their statements for another 3 or 4 years.

This window will give us an idea for sure, but they will have FFP constraints to deal with.

Their use of the word "sustained" suggests to me a medium to long term goal rather than if they'd said "It's Europe or bust: LET'S FUCKING ROLL!", but that could just be me.

Two things:
1. Chelski and Citeh did it without FFP constraints (and therefore had the flexibility to take chances on spunking a load of money on crap players like Winston Bogarde and Robinho)
2. How do we get a "worldie" given your recruitment strategy of showing him the worldie that we already have, if we need a worldie to attract him in the first place?

I think the owners' strategy has been laid out from the start, to make us successful and sustainable and they have certainly not been afraid to plow money into the club. To take an random press report with zero quotes suggesting Smith has a 100m budget is silly in my humble....

Steer was back training some time ago so should be fit; whether he's back to full match fitness and ready to go is another matter. Same situation with Heaton, who was out longer. "Maybe" for both of them. Reina as insurance seems a good idea, especially as it appears Kalinic isn't rated (bit strange as he hardly played for us) and Sarkic has gone to Wolves. If Steer and Heaton aren't ready, that would leave Reina and Nyland as the two go to keepers.

Hart was fine in his younger days, seemed a good reliable stopper. Then errors started creeping into his game; that was before Pep ditched him. I'd play Nyland before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.