So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in? | Page 17 | Vital Football

So what next? Who stays? Who goes? Who comes in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a Mickey mouse cup though is it? It's one of two cups that 18 out of 20 clubs in the league can realistically attempt to win. It's a route into europe. Its silverware. Give me cup finals any day over a bloody 6th place finish,

So we won what exactly from reaching the final? Yep, fuck all.

So we won what exactly from reaching the final? Yep, fuck all.

Well, we learnt a lot from it. El Ghazi is capable of cutting through the Man C defence. And in Samatta we have a forward capable of scoring goals.

Ok they haven't done anything since but maybe one should ask the question why.

I have not read the thread tonight...I'm too tired so just responding to the last two posts.

1 - where we are a final is a success. It's not where we want to be, but look at the last decade. We got money, it helped.

2 - We have players who raise their game at certain times...that's a problem in itself and we saw it replicated in the season. Find every excuse for that I can offer - if there's not improvement next season, time to bin, they aren't what we need.

It's not a Mickey mouse cup though is it?

It wasn't, but now it is. Wolves playing a team half of whom the Wolves fans by me couldn't name. Liverpool playing the kids. Us counting that as a good cup run, to just turn up and be also rans against the joke that is Man City (joke because they have been let off their punishment because they have deeper pockets than the league so have better lawyers and the fact they are funded by a country)

Arrrgghhhh. Modern £ootball.

It wasn't, but now it is. Wolves playing a team half of whom the Wolves fans by me couldn't name. Liverpool playing the kids. Us counting that as a good cup run, to just turn up and be also rans against the joke that is Man City (joke because they have been let off their punishment because they have deeper pockets than the league so have better lawyers and the fact they are funded by a country)

Arrrgghhhh. Modern £ootball.

Liverpool had another game two days later on another continent and Wolves had about 15 players spread across 5 competitions. Teams might rotate players out for the early rounds for one reason or another, doesnt mean it's not a respected cup to win. I certainly wont complain if we get to the final again next season. We weren't also rans, it was a tight game, we gave them a go. Four or five better quality players and we could easily have won it and be facing european football this season.

Liverpool had another game two days later on another continent and Wolves had about 15 players spread across 5 competitions.

I don't care mate, that wasn't the point, I know fully the reason why it was done, the pecking order of this cup is low, it is mickey mouse and the games were embarrassing for the cup (not Liverpool's fault, not our fault, but it was pathetic in my ever so humble)

Oh, cut the rest. Meh, most clubs v the blessed ones (the top 4 or 5) are also rans. We went, we lost, as it should be to keep the big broadcasters happy. We didn't win, again, at Wembley = also rans.

They should just exclude the CL clubs from the comp. That way others could seriously think they could win it (like in the good old days). Maybe let Scottish clubs in........nahhhhhh :lol:

Liverpool had another game two days later on another continent and Wolves had about 15 players spread across 5 competitions. Teams might rotate players out for the early rounds for one reason or another, doesnt mean it's not a respected cup to win. I certainly wont complain if we get to the final again next season. We weren't also rans, it was a tight game, we gave them a go. Four or five better quality players and we could easily have won it and be facing european football this season.
You've focused on far too many positives there. Brace yourself for the inevitable backlash

This is starting to look like the relegation thread, 'we only stayed up because of others, Arsenal were shite thats why we won, West Ham were on the beach etc etc'.

You can only play who's in front of you. Regardless of whether those things are true or not we had to show up and do the job.

This is starting to look like the relegation thread, 'we only stayed up because of others, Arsenal were shite thats why we won, West Ham were on the beach etc etc'.

You can only play who's in front of you. Regardless of whether those things are true or not we had to show up and do the job.

Well, we did only stay up because of others. There were 6 teams who for a long time looked incapable of dragging themselves out of danger. Then 2 did it. And at the end of the day we were the third, for which credit is due, but it was horribly close. We were lucky that Watford and Bournemouth failed to get that one critical result which could have hauled them clear. Moral: learn from it. Whatever the reason (and we probably differ on that) we have to put it right next season.

I agree our last 4 results, including Arsenal and West Ham, were good ones.

What is there to learn? Not to buy 13 players this summer? Well they won't cos we won't have to. We can now focus on signing quality over quantity. That should see us finishing a bit higher but I hope people's expectations are realistic so Smith doesn't get loads of flack if we "only finish 14th"

Our last loss was 5 games ago

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation, which was the cup run!

I'm not disappointed when we aren't losing btw, winning is what I expect of us, that is the whole point.

Show me a happy loser, I'll show you a loser is a great saying!

Which has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation, which was the cup run!

I'm not disappointed when we aren't losing btw, winning is what I expect of us, that is the whole point.

Show me a happy loser, I'll show you a loser is a great saying!
Show me a club that keeps sacking managers and I'll show you Watford

Show me a club that keeps sacking managers and I'll show you Watford

Again completely irrelevant to what I was talking about. You can throw random arguments out there if you want, I'll show you a club that has spent 19 odd years in the wilderness by not employing the right managers, but this thread isn't about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.