Singing number 2... | Page 5 | Vital Football

Singing number 2...

The negativity surrounding our team at the moment is astounding.
Agree we are not firing on all cylinders but still in contention.

Spot on. People have very short memories of where we were heading 12-18 months ago.

I don't think anyone is overwhelmed by the Walker signing but lets give him a chance. He looks like he has pace to burn so lets hope we can find a way to actually allow him to exploit it.

One of the most underwhelming signings of recent times was Tom Eaves with his record before he came to, well he turned out alright didn't he !!

Spot on. People have very short memories of where we were heading 12-18 months ago.

I don't think anyone is overwhelmed by the Walker signing but lets give him a chance. He looks like he has pace to burn so lets hope we can find a way to actually allow him to exploit it.

One of the most underwhelming signings of recent times was Tom Eaves with his record before he came to, well he turned out alright didn't he !!
Two signings that totally underwhelmed me were Tom Eaves (as you've said Mark) - 4 goals in 40 for Yeovil, why the f*ck have we signed him?

And Simeon Jackson - much too short to be an effective striker.

:slap:

Hopefully we will see him run at people with the ball, currently we only have Mahoney who does that but it tends to be sideways whilst looking for a pass as the rest of the team stands still and watches him.

Good luck, Josh.

Good opportunity for a 26yr old, who`s been through a lean spell, to move closer to home and re-kindle some zesty form.

I`ll be surprised if signing Josh is the final piece of our January shopping expedition.
Hope your right as time is fastly running out and so far it looks like we still have a Lidl budget instead of Waitrose.

Hope your right as time is fastly running out and so far it looks like we still have a Lidl budget instead of Waitrose.
Well we had a "rummage through the bins" budget before. We are signing players for real money which has been unheard of for years. Hopefully some of these we will go on to sell for a few quid.

The futures looking good, people just need some patience

Two signings that totally underwhelmed me were Tom Eaves (as you've said Mark) - 4 goals in 40 for Yeovil, why the f*ck have we signed him?

And Simeon Jackson - much too short to be an effective striker.

:slap:

Eaves turned out to be a gem, but to be fair for every one Eaves (an unhidden gem unearthed who did good), we've problem have had dozens of duds who lived up to our underwhelming expectations, but I wish this lad all the luck in the world.

I wouldn't say Simeon was underwhelming. He was young, quick, had smashed it in the non-leagues and I recall we paid somewhere around £150k for him when we had a lot less money than we do now. That's exactly the sort of signing I think we need now, is overdue and should have got in the summer.

Well we had a "rummage through the bins" budget before. We are signing players for real money which has been unheard of for years. Hopefully some of these we will go on to sell for a few quid.

The futures looking good, people just need some patience
As a club we only really run out of dosh because of Covid and somehow PS managed to keep the club attractive enough to sell - don't know how but who cares.

It seems apparent that Brad is giving the club a realistic budget, but not throwing money to us. I think some may have thought he would give us more money to enable us to shop at a higher level, hence some are underwhelmed by the signings.

As I have stated before we will only gain from a prospect if they are on our books, with a loan the parent branch can make a killing.

Still a few days left in the window, so something else may happen in the market, but i won't hold my breath

Walker is a loan and we don`t know how much GFC paid for Hutton. Let`s see how Josh does, i`m sure we`ll be right behind him. But, I take your point and if we don`t get another one or two higher calibre players in before the window closes, there will surely be confusion around recent comments by ownership and management.

I think some may have thought he would give us more money to enable us to shop at a higher level, hence some are underwhelmed by the signings.
Last Jan we did throw some money at the window and landed a number of players that (at the time at least) were considered top signings. I think some people assumed this was setting the tone for how things were going to be going forward rather than being an emergency throw of the dice to fix our terrible, terrible team and stop us dropping out of the league (and potentially football) entirely.

Since then, sensible and sustainable have constantly been the mantra. We had a go at May because we thought he was definitely worth it, shied away from Akinyemi because he wasn't considered good value/worth the risk. My feeling is that there's money to spend on the right players if available at a realistic price, but no appetite for throwing money around for the sake of it on gambles and poor value deals, and Jan is rarely the best time for getting a good deal.

I am overwhelmed :)

One of his headers went in the net last game…?

He should have been looking to play in his strike partner!

Reminds me of Dion Dublin and Steve Claridge talking about their Cambridge days under John Beck, they weren’t allowed to shoot, even if one-on-one, instead they had to try and play for a corner to get the big centre backs up!

Eaves turned out to be a gem, but to be fair for every one Eaves (an unhidden gem unearthed who did good), we've problem have had dozens of duds who lived up to our underwhelming expectations, but I wish this lad all the luck in the world.

I wouldn't say Simeon was underwhelming. He was young, quick, had smashed it in the non-leagues and I recall we paid somewhere around £150k for him when we had a lot less money than we do now. That's exactly the sort of signing I think we need now, is overdue and should have got in the summer.

I think over the years we’ve also had just as many “big name” or “big reputation” players sign for us that have then proved to be underwhelming on the pitch. It’s not a very exact science getting players in that you KNOW will do the business. Plenty of class strikers out there who have scored heavily for one or 2 clubs and failed at multiple other clubs.

The 2 signings we’ve got in so far appear to be aimed solely at improving problem areas in the squad regardless of name or cost. Need for a RWB. Need for Pace (both players have that). And a forward who seems direct, takes players on and can shoot (with both feet too).

I don’t mind us taking that approach rather than simply getting in a big name for the sake of it.

Edit - but I will be very happy if we do sign a “big name” player 😁

Hope he plays tomorrow and scores just to p**s of the Facebook lot that have written him off before he's even kicked a ball

I think over the years we’ve also had just as many “big name” or “big reputation” players sign for us that have then proved to be underwhelming on the pitch. It’s not a very exact science getting players in that you KNOW will do the business. Plenty of class strikers out there who have scored heavily for one or 2 clubs and failed at multiple other clubs.

The 2 signings we’ve got in so far appear to be aimed solely at improving problem areas in the squad regardless of name or cost. Need for a RWB. Need for Pace (both players have that). And a forward who seems direct, takes players on and can shoot (with both feet too).

I don’t mind us taking that approach rather than simply getting in a big name for the sake of it.

Edit - but I will be very happy if we do sign a “big name” player 😁
I have wondered if Harris was very much responsible for the bigger names currently in the squad.The recruitment team appear to have been more likely responsable for the leaser known names.Goalscorers of course are likely to very quickly build a name for themselves.This of course leads to them costing silly money.

I have wondered if Harris was very much responsible for the bigger names currently in the squad.The recruitment team appear to have been more likely responsable for the leaser known names.Goalscorers of course are likely to very quickly build a name for themselves.This of course leads to them costing silly money.
I am not quite sure who are the bigger names. Those that cost money, perhaps? or the older signings?

I had heard of Oli Hawkins from his Portsmouth days and I remembered Dieng as he had once cheated to get Conor Wilkinson sent off. I was not familiar with Lapslie or Nichols but in any case those 4 achieved a very specific urgent goal (staying in the league), changing us from no hopers to the third best form in the division.

So that leaves this summer's signings of Jonny Williams, Conor Masterson, Scott Malone and Macauley Bonne.

I would have said that Nadesan is definitely one of lesser known names as we took an interest in Crawley last year, signing Nichols and considering Telford in attack but I was totally unaware of Nadesan. A recruitment team signing then, perhaps? Who knows.

Don't know about Max Clark either but we could be totting up a vast number of signings that were not recruited by the recruitment team.

Last edited:
I am not quite sure who are the bigger names. Those that cost money, perhaps? or the older signings?

I had heard of Oli Hawkins from his Portsmouth days and I remembered Dieng as he had once cheated to get Conor Wilkinson sent off. I was not familiar with Lapslie or Nichols but in any case those 4 achieved a very specific urgent goal (staying in the league), changing us from no hopers to the third best form in the division.

So that leaves this summer's signings of Jonny Williams, Conor Masterson, Scott Malone and Macauley Bonne.

I would have said that Nadesan is definitely one of lesser known names as we took an interest in Crawley last year, signing Nichols and considering Telford in attack but I was totally unaware of Nadesan. A recruitment team signing then, perhaps? Who knows.

Don't know about Max Clark either but we could be totting up a vast number of signings that were not recruited by the recruitment team.

If you are trying to specifically pick out “bigger names” I’d suggest maybe thinking of “better reputations”. None of our players are “big names”.

I know hardly any players in the Championship (except the very best) but I’d have thought in this context, then Malone and Mahoney would be “bigger” plus Sean Williams.

Of the others even in Australia I had heard of Oli Hawkins (probably from his Ipswich and Pompey days) and JW because he was great against us for Swindon and a Welsh international. I got to know of Nichols, Lapslie and Dieng pretty quickly because it was obvious they were among the better players at their clubs and we paid for them.

The “lesser” lights I’d label as Ogie, Coleman, Clark, Clarke, Nadesan, Jeffries. Luckily, 4 of those are/were young and worth a shot.

Not sure how to label Masterson. We knew he was very good from his 2x loans here. Otherwise I don’t know how to label a Champ reserve/U23 player. Big name or reputation but only to us.

Whoops. Forgot Macauley Bonne. In my eyes, possibly the biggest “name” because he’s regularly been mentioned whenever we’ve needed a striker over the past 8 years or so. And talked about a lot by other clubs fans with the same wishes. For the first 7 years he was waaaay out of our league as a signing. This year he was in reach but not lived up to it. Yet.