Singing number 2... | Page 6 | Vital Football

Singing number 2...

Josh Walker comes across well in his first interview. Says people say that he reminds them of Jermaine Defoe.

I liked his attitude, get the feeling he's got a point to prove to some people at Burton. Hope he metaphorically shoves it down their throats and in the process helps us become again the rip-roaring goal-scoring Gillingham Football Club.

Last edited:
The discussion of bigger names reminds me more of times when we signed Rod Wallace, Tommy Johnson, Iwan Roberts, Steve Lomas, Paul Konchesky and Jamie O'Hara.

Even with Brad and Shannon on board, we are clearly not going back on that road and I, for one, am glad about it even though Wallace was IMO good, when available, short term.

Alfie May was maybe a bigger name in the pool that we operate now but I don't think we have signed anyone who we would have expected to be a notch above. We are looking to create a team of mixed ages and talents, without stars.

I think that it would be interesting to know who our highest earner is, considering both Bonne and Malone were signed at a later stage in the summer window when their bargaining power would have been significantly reduced. My money would be on Masterson.

I am not quite sure who are the bigger names. Those that cost money, perhaps? or the older signings?

I had heard of Oli Hawkins from his Portsmouth days and I remembered Dieng as he had once cheated to get Conor Wilkinson sent off. I was not familiar with Lapslie or Nichols but in any case those 4 achieved a very specific urgent goal (staying in the league), changing us from no hopers to the third best form in the division.

So that leaves this summer's signings of Jonny Williams, Conor Masterson, Scott Malone and Macauley Bonne.

I would have said that Nadesan is definitely one of lesser known names as we took an interest in Crawley last year, signing Nichols and considering Telford in attack but I was totally unaware of Nadesan. A recruitment team signing then, perhaps? Who knows.

Don't know about Max Clark either but we could be totting up a vast number of signings that were not recruited by the recruitment team.
Connor Mahoney was signed for over a Million by Harris at Millwall.Macaulay Bonne was around the first team for quite a few weeks before signing. Scott Malone was also very likely to be a Harris recruitment while in Italy.Connor Masterson is logically Harris's as well.
Logically the rest are down to Kenny and Hess.