Singing number 2... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Singing number 2...

I wanted us to sign a more established player as 3 out of our 4 strikers i'd let go tomorrow (not Hawkins as he brings something o the team) - in an ideal world.

I still think we will sign another more established striker. Hopefully a goalscoring target man.

Will admit, if we get no more through the door then I will agree that our window hasn’t been good, considering Brad said we’d be getting quality over quantity. Hutton May deliver a bit more quality in his position. But on paper and his record Walker doesn’t exactly scream out that he’s much better than what we have.

Hope he’s successful here tho.

I still think we will sign another more established striker. Hopefully a goalscoring target man.

Will admit, if we get no more through the door then I will agree that our window hasn’t been good, considering Brad said we’d be getting quality over quantity. Hutton May deliver a bit more quality in his position. But on paper and his record Walker doesn’t exactly scream out that he’s much better than what we have.

Hope he’s successful here tho.
If he has been playing in a deeper position for Burton as another poster said that would explain that shortage of goals at Burton.If our chief signing is a more experienced player with less far pace we definitely needed more pace in and around the team. Especially if Nadesan is less likely to be in the squad.

Good luck, Josh.

Good opportunity for a 26yr old, who`s been through a lean spell, to move closer to home and re-kindle some zesty form.

I`ll be surprised if signing Josh is the final piece of our January shopping expedition.

We were all bemoaning the lack of pace and directness and in the last week we have signed Hutton and Walker.
Addressing the problem areas as far as I can see.
No pleasing some people.

This.

I'm really pleased with both signings, not discounting their social media prowess.

Hutton was key to adding more chances from the right, which was glaring.
Walker looks a perfect foil to play alongside Hawkins to me - Hawkins is not going to draw defenders out of with his movement... Walker will. He's exactly what I felt we needed and I'm happy to die on my own sword if they play together and it doesn't work. With Williams/Mahoney/Nicholls playing that 3rd wheel, freer ahead of two central midfielders, I think it's as close to what I wanted to see as possible. The more threat each player carries to do something different, the harder it is to defend us.

My only concern is that we are tempted to stick him wide in a 3. This is a guy we need getting in behind. Please, Gills, play him at the spearhead - if anything, let Hawks come off the ball, because CBs will be glued to his defending him in the air, and he can definitely hold the ball up.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what he brings to the team but initially I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a big target man with pace to replace Hawkins not play alongside/behind him.

I'll reserve judgement until I see what he brings to the team but initially I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a big target man with pace to replace Hawkins not play alongside/behind him.

Hawkins, based on the way SC wants to play right now, must be one of the earlier names on the teamsheet.

One other thing he brings too, is leadership. Just watching the other players around him - they gravitate towards him in warm ups etc.

After watching a showreel of Walker's goals on UTube, I was struck by how often he picks the ball up from deep, effectively from nothing, and runs at the midfield and defence before finishing.

Obviously, it is a very select collection with many at a lower level but, if he can do that, it would not matter if we play too much slow possession football (Clemence?) or are generally a negative team (Harris?).

That sort of individual flair is what we have been missing IMHO. Players actually taking responsibility to pick the ball up, from deep if necessary, and show a bit of individuality rather than hide behind team structure so the coach bears the blame when things do not go well.

Of course, if he has regularly been able to do that, it would be unlikely that he would be playing at this level.

So someone muscular to hold off defenders and beat them in the air plus hold up play, but at the same time be able to run like a greyhound?

Perhaps he can add in keepy-uppies and somersaults when he scores ;)

Examples/Suggestions?

I agree with this. I am underwhelmed by this signing. Given that, and it now seems accepted, we were seriously in for Alfie May in the summer - one of the best strikers in League One. Plus we managed to acquire some of the best players from our League Two rivals last season as well as a League One players of the season (all under contract) last season - getting someone on loan who can't get into a League One strugglers team does seem a big step backwards and we may not be operating in the market we were and want to be. It certainly doesn't look like the aggressive approach to transfers that we were previously promised.

I keep hearing that "he's got pace". And, yes, we desperately need pace, but that needs to come with quality as Nadesan has pace... I wish this lad luck and hope he proves us doubters wrong. Equally, I also hope that he may be one of several signings with hopefully more, and ideally that pedigree striker we were seeking previously, to come.

I was hoping we would sign a name we either knew or the player was established.

This season he has 19 appearances and 1 goal. Burton are 6 points off of the relegation places. Hardly setting the world alight.

If he has pace that's good but that is how Nadesan was sold to us. What exactly has he brought to the team? Nothing.

I wanted us to sign a more established player as 3 out of our 4 strikers i'd let go tomorrow (not Hawkins as he brings something o the team) - in an ideal world.

Who knows - he could be the next Cody Macdonald.
Yes, but then you're never satisfied. You'd probably find fault with Harry Kane if we signed him...:rolleyes:
Why do we need to replace Hawkins?

Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns out to be great for us, but the doubts are that he's not good enough for Burton, prior to that he only played non league for Hendon, Barnet and Dagenham, so why wasn't he offered a chance at a higher level previously.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns out to be great for us, but the doubts are that he's not good enough for Burton, prior to that he only played non league for Hendon, Barnet and Dagenham, so why wasn't he offered a chance at a higher level previously.
The same question could be asked about Paul McCallum, apart from a couple of years at Orient.

This guy could turn out to me the new Callum Harriott or Tristan Abrahams but SC seems to be confident he can improve players better than NH did.

I believe Hawkins is overrated. How many of his headers actually get to a Gills player, his control of the ball on the ground is not that good. As a target man he is failing.

He's quick, he's direct, he can finish. A club in a higher division thought he was worth signing last summer thanks to the ability he has shown, only to then apparently play him out of position. Truth is we don't know how good he'll be in League Two as he hasn't played there, but I reckon he'll do ok.

He's quick, he's direct, he can finish. A club in a higher division thought he was worth signing last summer thanks to the ability he has shown, only to then apparently play him out of position. Truth is we don't know how good he'll be in League Two as he hasn't played there, but I reckon he'll do ok.
The stats page i looked at had him playing right midfield for 2 games in a row. The rest were up front.