Should Corbyn be national unity government pm | Page 4 | Vital Football

Should Corbyn be national unity government pm

The referendum was incredibly badly planned because it was never made clear whether it was advisory or binding, and because of the choice of groups who were allowed to vote (Commonwealth citizens) or not (EU nationals and Brits abroad), and what people were voting for (remain, hard Brexit, soft Brexit, no deal). The only reason it ever happened was to get certain people in the Tory party to finally shut the fuck up, and then it backfired and Cameron retired to his wanking shed.

Labour will come around to fully backing remain after this year's conference because the only Brexit that's possible now is with no deal at all, which was what the arch-Brexiters always wanted anyway but were never prepared to admit. It all depends now on whether the LibDems and non-headbanging Conservatives are prepared to achieve their loudly avowed intent of stopping Brexit in return for allowing the slightest whiff of social democracy to infect the body politic again.
Still not quite sure what difference it makes to somebody who has set up a wonderful new life in Germany.
As in many issues, the diaspora often feel more strongly that the local populace.

It's looking more and more likely (at the moment) that we will leave no deal.
Boris has a fleeting visit to Germany and France.
It's only fair that we let the other side how things are going to be.
Let the EU have time to savour the taste of potentially losing the UK ??

The clock might have been reset , back in March , but it hasn't stopped it ticking.
There is no legal way anyone can stop Brexit happening 31st October.
Unless the EU bottles it , it's going to be no deal

Actually it is very ironic for everybody to claim that personal prejudice should be put to one side in order to facilitate a collaboration against a no deal Brexit, and then refuse to work with Jeremy Corbyn on a time limited basis with a clearly agreed agenda.

However, the one difference between him and the other possible candidates is that there is a real possibility that he could become Prime Minister after a general election. Leading a government of national unity if it was successful would significantly enhance his chances of success in that regard, as his ratings in the eyes of the electorate would shoot up. Therefore for that reason I think not supporting him for temporary PM is legitimate, but only for that reason.

Corbyn now needs to show true statemenship by using his influence in the Labour Party to garner support for a candidate who can win a majority in the House.

Actually it is very ironic for everybody to claim that personal prejudice should be put to one side in order to facilitate a collaboration against a no deal Brexit, and then refuse to work with Jeremy Corbyn on a time limited basis with a clearly agreed agenda.

However, the one difference between him and the other possible candidates is that there is a real possibility that he could become Prime Minister after a general election. Leading a government of national unity if it was successful would significantly enhance his chances of success in that regard, as his ratings in the eyes of the electorate would shoot up. Therefore for that reason I think not supporting him for temporary PM is legitimate, but only for that reason.

Corbyn now needs to show true statemenship by using his influence in the Labour Party to garner support for a candidate who can win a majority in the House.

Do you think that can happen ?.
Can you not see how damaging Corbyn is to your cause ?
What will be your gripe after Brexit ?

The clock might have been reset , back in March , but it hasn't stopped it ticking.
There is no legal way anyone can stop Brexit happening 31st October.
Unless the EU bottles it , it's going to be no deal

Not totally true as there are still two ways to stop the clock, whether either will happen will be interesting.
1. For a motion to be allowed to be put forward that gives over parliamentary time to allow parliament put forward legislation (hard to do as the government normally controls the diary)
2. For a vote of no confidence to be passed which would be followed by a 14 day period where either the PM returns to the house and wins a confidence vote or the leader of the opposition has the numbers to form a government and presents before the monarch. If neither happens then a GE would be called, the legality of whether a bill can be passed due to an election period could be contested as \i dont believe there is a precedent

People keep harping on about the parallel with the creation of the war government but in fact there was not a vote of confidence called for and it was the PM of the day that went to the Monarch and put forward the plan to the King and suggested it should be Churchill. Ironic seeing as the confidence issue only arose because of the f up of the Norway campaign - and who was in charge of that, yes Winston lol.

Once again we see the truth about MPs on all sides that dont give a f about the country and are more interested in if it benefits their party or themselves.

Last edited:
Diasporacily speaking, if I may, I can understand why politicians are reluctant to let Corbyn, Clarke or anyone else get the top job, even temporarily. Chap gets their hands on the steering wheel and that gives power, the toiling masses see the person in the job and the sky not falling, and Lord knows what happens next.

What are the mechanics? I'd have thought the government falls on a confidence vote. Then the next obvious person -Corbyn as leader of the opposition- puts forward a resolution. If he demonstrates he enjoys the confidence of the House, he's in until he loses a similar vote. If he fails to get a vote, then someone else has a crack. The proof of the pudding for anyone is can they secure a vote, not is it right or wrong for them to try.

I wished you weren't all so pissed at each other. The stakes are just not that high.

So you feel inclined to sink to that level?
Shame on you. You give the impression of being educated but are clearly bigoted deep down.
What evidence/example do you have of any bigotry on my part? Is it the fact that I hate racists and far-right sympathisers?

1.4M is not slim lol
We are talking about something that could make or break this country and, therefore, you can't just cast aside such a large stakeholder in its future. On top of that, you have industry and farmers etc desperately calling not to leave the EU without a deal; plus, leavers who don't want Brexit without a deal being struck. Reverting to WTO while waiting two or three or more years to conclude dozens of trade deals will hit many very, very hard.

We are talking about something that could make or break this country and, therefore, you can't just cast aside such a large stakeholder in its future. On top of that, you have industry and farmers etc desperately calling not to leave the EU without a deal; plus, leavers who don't want Brexit without a deal being struck. Reverting to WTO while waiting two or three or more years to conclude dozens of trade deals will hit many very, very hard.

No point me saying anything to them on here. I'll wait for a farmer to post. In the meantime, I'll just listen to my local farmer. I don't want a Tory government, but I'll just have to accept the majority...

Last edited: