Should Corbyn be national unity government pm | Page 2 | Vital Football

Should Corbyn be national unity government pm

I think they are trying to stop a no deal crash out of the EU approach.

If they tried to stop Brexit altogether then you would be correct.

Although you could argue that the country should vote on the terms of our exit given that our elected MPs could not agree.

No deal - crash out
Theresa's deal (as that's the only one on the table).

If we were to put those two options to the public then we may just as well add the third - revoke Article 50. You just to make sure that's still what the country wants to do.

That's democratic isn't it ?
A cynic would say that that just splits the Brexit vote in two. If you allow the third option (revoke article 50) it doesn't need a rocket scientist to work out which would win. The stitch up would be complete and democracy would be dead.
So, why add the third option? The country voted leave so a new referendum should just have "leave" options surely.
"We may just as well add a third" (option) doesn't feel like sound democracy to me.

Just need to understand who is running the Labour Party. It's certainly not Corbyn who's a man of limited intelligence. John McDonnell is really their leader. " I will send Jeremy to see the Queen etc etc."

Elect the right brother and Labour would still be in power now without extremes of right and left. AND, the Gills have always done better under a Labour government.

"Should Corbyn be national unity government pm" ?

Provided someone acceptable can do it am, sounds like a reasonable compromise.....

But, to be fair, many leavers I spoke to never heard any one say "I want out but only with certain conditions". I only saw two boxes to tick on the ballot paper, no ifs, no buts.
The whole idea of 'doing a deal' only really came about when May (a remainer) got into power.
I suppose it all depends who you speak to.
Are you serious? What planet was your Brexit campaign conducted on? There were multiple cake and eat it sweeping promises from the leaders of the leave campaign. There is film of Farage saying we'd stay in the single market ffs. This was used to help them gain a narrow majority. Germans would come running to us. Negotiate direct with Berlin and Paris (Davis). Easiest thiing in the world to do deals apparently. A pile of crap which they managed to polish and keep shiny until a few days after the result. A bit like a political party scrapping every promise it's made during a campaing as soon as it gets elected. Fraud.

Are you serious? What planet was your Brexit campaign conducted on? There were multiple cake and eat it sweeping promises from the leaders of the leave campaign. There is film of Farage saying we'd stay in the single market ffs. This was used to help them gain a narrow majority. Germans would come running to us. Negotiate direct with Berlin and Paris (Davis). Easiest thiing in the world to do deals apparently. A pile of crap which they managed to polish and keep shiny until a few days after the result. A bit like a political party scrapping every promise it's made during a campaing as soon as it gets elected. Fraud.
There were also massive scaremongering statements from the remain campaign, notably the then Chancellor . Look, they're all liars, I get that but if you're going to compare it to an election (which you have) then perhaps we should have all this shite every time someone gets elected? But we don't do we? A majority wins and we get on with it. Corbyn wants to delay Brexit, until when? The deal ain't going to get any better so, as I said above, if they want another referendum then let's at least have one that gives the majority what it wants.
I'm no expert on this subject, that's why I have never posted on any if the brexit/EU threads BUT, I know what the result was and I know people are trying their best to wriggle out of it to their own ends. Just don't try kidding me either side are doing it for the good of the country.

Oh and I didn't conduct a Brexit campaign. I just watched them ?

Anyway, back to the OP. What sort of desperate power crazed idiot is he? Wants to be a temp PM and feels he should be "invited" to do it simply because he is the leader of the opposition.
Doddery old fool, hell be claiming the job on alphabetical order surnames next ffs

Anyway, back to the OP. What sort of desperate power crazed idiot is he? Wants to be a temp PM and feels he should be "invited" to do it simply because he is the leader of the opposition.
I don't agree with the idea either but if you say he should not lead "simply because he is the leader of the opposition" (probably right), I don't see how Clarke or Harman have any better right to lead, as they have never been the leader of anything on a full time basis. Voters have therefore never voted for any party that they have led.

Even Swinson with her 15 or 16 MPs would have a better case, even though no ordinary citizens have voted for her party in an election since she has been leader either.

Last edited:
The thing is, there is absolutely nothing Corbyn could do to please some people, and the same would apply to whoever else happened to be in charge of even a homeopathically left-wing Labour party that listened to its own membership or offered any alternative to the status quo.

Think about this suggestion: there really is no fairer offer that could be made - a strictly time-limited (we're talking about a matter of weeks) government of national unity to put the matter to the public once and for all - "Do you want a no-deal Brexit and all that that entails?"

If the Conservatives then win the general election, Corbyn steps down as PM and we get the no-deal hard Brexit that Johnson and and his crew wanted all along. If that happens, fair enough, it's what people want.

If not, then no-deal is off the table and whoever forms a government has a chance to renegotiate the withdrawal agreement and then put that to the public against sacking the whole thing off and remaining. Once again, the people get to decide.

This is exactly what the Liberal, right-wing Labour and Conservative remainers have been asking for all the time, but still they won't have it, because it's Corbyn - who, let's not forget, is the democratically elected Leader of the Opposition and according to what passes for our constitution has first dibs on it - and not some time-serving centrist "grandee" like Clarke or Harman who the editor of the Guardian has pulled out of her arse just because he or she does agreeable lunches with journalists. That's not democracy, and it's precisely what caused the problem of disillusionment with democracy in the first place.

These are serious times. If the LibDems, Tory remainers and what's left of Chukka Umunna's mob really are as serious about stopping a headlong rush to a hard Brexit as they'd like us to think, then they need to stop fucking about playing party politics and get behind the only serious, democratic way out of this mess, one way or another, that's left on the table.

But I suspect they're more interested in keeping their seats and would happily tolerate no deal rather than getting kicked off the gravy train.

Last edited:
People are getting sick of it all.
I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't care any more , and just want it over.
The constant delaying tactics have worn people down , and No deal is becoming more readily acceptable each passing day.
That's my point mate, I stay out of all the in or out shite as it just leads to rows. My point is the lack of respect for the result and the fact that all leave voters are labelled as thick (see above?)
I have to watch leave and remain protests every week at work and the people that rock up for both are just a joke and only go to abuse the other side

"All leave voters are thick, see above".

Where's that then?

My eldest brother voted leave with a Law degree and MBA. Not thick. I just disagree with him.

That's my point mate, I stay out of all the in or out shite as it just leads to rows. My point is the lack of respect for the result and the fact that all leave voters are labelled as thick (see above?)
I have to watch leave and remain protests every week at work and the people that rock up for both are just a joke and only go to abuse the other side

Nobby , I wish I had your discipline.
Too much time on my hands , means I let off steam on here.
My point would be lack of respect full stop.

The only thing I would support at the moment is dissolving parliament completely, then holding a general election where no sitting MP is allowed to stand. For me the whole lot have behaved in a disgraceful way and need locking up.

In what way? All of them? There are an awful lot of sitting MPs of all parties, in fact the majority of them, who I'd like to see out on their arses, and some do want locking up for various reasons, but we could do with some clarification here.

The only thing I would support at the moment is dissolving parliament completely, then holding a general election where no sitting MP is allowed to stand. For me the whole lot have behaved in a disgraceful way and need locking up.
Not sure about that.
I believe we need Boris as PM.
And Pritti Patel's not bad either.

So in your view is a MP that fights for a minority cause is illegal?
Certainly some MP'S have acted badly.But a lot are doing what they think is in the countries interest.Many are doing what they believe is in their parties interest .The problem has always been the same the country is divided.The original referendum was a attempt to fix the Tory party. Those that have blatantly lied and David Cameron are the guilty parties.
Changing something as major as EU membership with such a tiny majority in favour should be illegal.

Last edited:
Doddery old fool, hell be claiming the job on alphabetical order surnames next ffs

But that's how parliament works (well, ought to work, anyway). This isn't East Germany. They're not there to rubberstamp everything the government wants to do, they're there to oversee it. And if the majority of them think the government is not doing its job properly, then they're perfectly entitled to vote it down, in which case the leader of the opposition is next in line to have a go. It's got nothing to do with being a power-crazed idiot. Those are the rules.

Not that anything like that is likely to happen anyway, given that most parliamentarians are craven pole-climbing swines that are desperate to stay there come what may.

But that's the theory, at least.