Should Corbyn be national unity government pm | Page 3 | Vital Football

Should Corbyn be national unity government pm

But that's how parliament works (well, ought to work, anyway). This isn't East Germany. They're not there to rubberstamp everything the government wants to do, they're there to oversee it. And if the majority of them think the government is not doing its job properly, then they're perfectly entitled to vote it down, in which case the leader of the opposition is next in line to have a go. It's got nothing to do with being a power-crazed idiot. Those are the rules.

Not that anything like that is likely to happen anyway, given that most parliamentarians are craven pole-climbing swines that are desperate to stay there come what may.

But that's the theory, at least.
I agree but the person who takes over will need the support of the house. Just being leader of the opposition doesn't give him that.

The only thing I would support at the moment is dissolving parliament completely, then holding a general election where no sitting MP is allowed to stand. For me the whole lot have behaved in a disgraceful way and need locking up.
What disgraceful behaviour are you referring to. We have a Parliamentary Democracy in this country and not a system of plebiscites. The referendum voted by the thinnest majority to leave the EU. The terms of leaving were not on offer. May negotiated a deal that was thrice rejected ny Parliament but would have got through if all leavers voted for it but the problem is that leavers are not united. You have hard-line Brexiteers [ERG], hard and soft Brexiteers, the DUP and Labour MP leavers. So, as much as Remainers would like to overturn the referendum result, Brexiteer MPs can't agree on the way forward. No-one it seems was very keen on May's deal, which only got a higher vote last time around because the likes of Boris voted for it. If Brexiteers get their act together, leaving the EU will happen but it would seem the push for a no-deal Brexit is quite strong. ANd who really wants a no-deal Brexit? the USA for starters......

"All leave voters are thick, see above".

Where's that then?

My eldest brother voted leave with a Law degree and MBA. Not thick. I just disagree with him.
By suggesting my ideals are from another planet.

By the way, I work with plenty of graduates and a lot of them may be academic but they are still thick ?

I agree but the person who takes over will need the support of the house. Just being leader of the opposition doesn't give him that.

Of course not, it's up to him to get it, and he may or may not, but but it's parliamentary convention and only fair that he gets first go at trying, rather than whatever MP happens to be bestest mates with all the editorial writers because he went to school/university/did PPE with them.

The very slim majority only voted Leave - no terms for leaving were on offer and now Leave MPs are at loggerheads because of the possibility of a no-deal exit.
No pre requisite re size if majority was set out prior to the vote. Agreed it should have been, but it wasn't.
BTW. Am I right in the belief that a referendum isn't actually legally binding in the way that an election is, anyway ?
If so, Corbyns manifesto could just be to stay and he'd get 48% of the country voting Labour.

Or am.i being thick?

The history books of the future will show that those who tried to subvert democracy , (in an ultimately futile , waste of three years) , will also be held responsible for the divisions in society at the time.
When people cannot accept they lost , it is not just about Brexit.
It's about people who cannot accept change ....

The history books of the future will show that those who tried to subvert democracy , (in an ultimately futile , waste of three years) , will also be held responsible for the divisions in society at the time.
When people cannot accept they lost , it is not just about Brexit.
It's about people who cannot accept change ....
So you're prepared to condemn a Leaver who cannot accept a no-deal exit?

If so, Corbyns manifesto could just be to stay and he'd get 48% of the country voting Labour.
Do you want a first past the post system or proportional representation. Parties often have a majority of seats in the House but a minority in the popular vote.

Trump had a minority in the popular vote but won in the electoral college

It's really about people who simply cannot and will not accept that their particular view of things is not supported by the majority.

Every MP that the TV stations role out claim to speak for the majority but that is clearly rubbish.

If we ever leave the EU, I'd love for these people to stand in a general election on a ticket of joining the EU to test if their theory is correct.

I'd be willing to wager that they would have no chance of winning.

The referendum was incredibly badly planned because it was never made clear whether it was advisory or binding, and because of the choice of groups who were allowed to vote (Commonwealth citizens) or not (EU nationals and Brits abroad), and what people were voting for (remain, hard Brexit, soft Brexit, no deal). The only reason it ever happened was to get certain people in the Tory party to finally shut the fuck up, and then it backfired and Cameron retired to his wanking shed.

Labour will come around to fully backing remain after this year's conference because the only Brexit that's possible now is with no deal at all, which was what the arch-Brexiters always wanted anyway but were never prepared to admit. It all depends now on whether the LibDems and non-headbanging Conservatives are prepared to achieve their loudly avowed intent of stopping Brexit in return for allowing the slightest whiff of social democracy to infect the body politic again.

It's really about people who simply cannot and will not accept that their particular view of things is not supported by the majority.

Every MP that the TV stations role out claim to speak for the majority but that is clearly rubbish.

If we ever leave the EU, I'd love for these people to stand in a general election on a ticket of joining the EU to test if their theory is correct.

Probably not but lack of an exit is down mainly to disagreement among Brexiteers. The Cabinet stood solid in terms of backing May at Chequers then all went off in different directions.

The media are very much remain and their viewers/readers are thick (Little Englanders)
The good news is that trust in the media is at an all time low , and not everyone is so easily taken in