Should Corbyn be national unity government pm | Vital Football

Should Corbyn be national unity government pm

Straightbat

Vital Reserves Team
Assuming a successful no confidence vote I think it should be someone else because it could easily gives him a leg up to no. 10 after a general election, so it is understandable if other MPs are unhappy about it, apart from any other reasons.

No re he OP as not enough will vote for him and you couldn't blame them for it.

Should be someone as "neutral" as possible.

I want remain but would accept leave if we kept close trading ties such as single market or customs union. I believe (have spoken to) many "leavers" who wanted that. Unfortunately the Brexit extremists now claim "no deal" was he default position all along when I never heard a single mention of that from them in the campaign

I cant see the vote winning. Tory MPs will back the Tory party over Labour no matter what.

If it did happen then Corbyn cannot lead a unity government for the simple reason he is divisive.

It needs to be a calm and well respected person, someone like waynekerr :-) Only joking wayne. Ken Clarke is a good call for this role.

I want remain but would accept leave if we kept close trading ties such as single market or customs union. I believe (have spoken to) many "leavers" who wanted that. Unfortunately the Brexit extremists now claim "no deal" was he default position all along when I never heard a single mention of that from them in the campaign
But, to be fair, many leavers I spoke to never heard any one say "I want out but only with certain conditions". I only saw two boxes to tick on the ballot paper, no ifs, no buts.
The whole idea of 'doing a deal' only really came about when May (a remainer) got into power.
I suppose it all depends who you speak to.

I prefer the idea of Harriet Harman and/or Ken Clarke, but if it stopped the madness of a suicidal Brexit I would even accept Corbyn as a lesser of two evils.

If you go on youtube there is video evidence of Cameron, Osbourne and even Grieve saying, during the referendum campaign, that should there be no agreement with the EU that the UK would leave on WTO terms, which is what "No deal" is. So it cannot be said now that "No Deal" was never mentioned, it was. There appears to be a lot of selective memory issues when it comes to Brexit.

If you go on youtube there is video evidence of Cameron, Osbourne and even Grieve saying, during the referendum campaign, that should there be no agreement with the EU that the UK would leave on WTO terms, which is what "No deal" is. So it cannot be said now that "No Deal" was never mentioned, it was. There appears to be a lot of selective memory issues when it comes to Brexit.

That is a totally bullshit argument for 2 reasons:

You cannot, on the one hand, argue that everything Cameron and Osborne said during the referendum was ‘Project Fear’ but then use the same people as credible sources to say that you believed them when they said the alternative was WTO.

Second, the Brexit side of the argument was very clear that WTO wasn’t likely and that a deal would be the easiest in history; and that the deal would yield the exact same benefits as being in the EU.

Great that Swinson, whose party returned 12 MPs at the last election, rejects Corbyn who the voters in 260+ constituencies in that same election showed that they wanted as their next PM.

Fine. She is therefore rejecting probably the best plan to stop a no deal Brexit.

As has been said before, millions of voters love Jeremy Corbyn. Many MPs however are hostile to his plans to change their cushy lifestyle shafting the general public when not on their 8 week holidays, and wanting to introduce a kinder and more inclusive brand of politics.

If the vote of no confidence is won Jo Swinson has it right Corbyn can't lead a govenment for the simple reason that he can't possibly have a current majority in the house.On top of that he has sat on the fence over Brexit throughout and I am not even sure that every Labour member of parliament would support it.It is possible that Tory MP'S might support Clarke in enough numbers. But then of course it is unlikely Labour will.Harriet Harman might just be able to govern and majority and if it was to happen she is in my view the best bet.

Last edited:
Nobody SHOULD be PM but Corbyn is making a perfecly good case and he's more honest, competent and has better plans for the future of our country than Johnson. We have the nightmare candidate in situ now and he's there on the back of two extremely small plebiscites.

All talk of remainers stopping no deal is just talk unless, or until they can agree on personalities, strategy and process. I think they have the same chance as we have of winning the championship this season. Swinson has hammered a spectacular goal first off, numerous other no marks have made absurd declarations and the best hope of stopping no deal is Johnson. He's an arse.

All desperately trying to reverse a democratic decision.
Too little , too late

I think they are trying to stop a no deal crash out of the EU approach.

If they tried to stop Brexit altogether then you would be correct.

Although you could argue that the country should vote on the terms of our exit given that our elected MPs could not agree.

No deal - crash out
Theresa's deal (as that's the only one on the table).

If we were to put those two options to the public then we may just as well add the third - revoke Article 50. You just to make sure that's still what the country wants to do.

That's democratic isn't it ?