Scottish Independence | Page 5 | Vital Football

Scottish Independence

It seems clear that the adjenda in the British media is to paint Salmond as a buffoon and independence as a romantic folly. For that reason, I support Scottish independence.

col8 - 16/7/2014 07:59

Aircraft Submarines were at one time cutting edge.
:19: I never even knew them things existed blimey :19: might be my dads grandad side of the family was WW2 sailors in me DNA :138:

BBJ - 16/7/2014 15:23

Excellent post, starchild.
What do you think (if anything) can be done about the "London factor"?

If I had my way, I'd annex London and make it independant of the rest of the UK as I feel it is the biggest drag down to the recovery for everyone else. We are all paying the price for London's wealth. We contribute to it's burgeoning treasure trove in taxes etc but we see none of the benefits that the city gets. I have never liked the city of London, I find the majority of the people to be rude and ignorant with few exceptions (one of whom is my brother in law who is a great guy and has a laugh at himself - he even hates London).

I suppose it could become a "city state" within the UK - a sort of northern Singapore?

Some of the arguments here seem flawed.

House prices in Scotland rising at faster rate than most of UK

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/house-prices-in-scotland-rising-at-faster-rate-than-most-of-uk.23473699

He added that September's ­independence referendum was expected to cause a slowdown in sales as buyers adopt a "wait and see" attitude.

Scotland is doing fine as part of the Union.

starchild65 - 16/7/2014 20:43

BBJ - 16/7/2014 15:23

Excellent post, starchild.
What do you think (if anything) can be done about the "London factor"?

If I had my way, I'd annex London and make it independant of the rest of the UK as I feel it is the biggest drag down to the recovery for everyone else. We are all paying the price for London's wealth. We contribute to it's burgeoning treasure trove in taxes etc but we see none of the benefits that the city gets. I have never liked the city of London, I find the majority of the people to be rude and ignorant with few exceptions (one of whom is my brother in law who is a great guy and has a laugh at himself - he even hates London).

Hate London. One of the best Cities in the World.

Why may I ask?

Conversely the taxes raised in London subsidise the rest of the country. But I know what you are saying - the balance is all to cock.

My Dad's Scottish so I'm hoping for dual nationality.

One of the financial centres of the world, I'd not it put independent, we need that money in the country and it bloody well should be used not just for London as well.

Dirty fecking City though, they should spend some of the wealth cleaning the place!

True dat, although England isn't short of shitty cities. The London tax thing is a vicious circle with government policy being made to benefit the City and against British manufacturers so the country becomes more and more dependent on the City for tax revenue and government policy has to focus more and more on the City.

True mate, was shocked when I went to Cape Town the number of cleaners and how immaculate it was. Why our cities can't do the same I just don't know (apart from the wage issue obviously! But that is countered with us being a richer per capita country)

Live debate tonight at 8pm on STV.

If you cannot get STV - a free live stream can be found here - http://player.stv.tv/live/

Be interesting to know what effect, if any, the commonwealth games had. I'd think it was bad news for those wanting independence.

The comedy for me is that they want independence but to keep the pound, hence the Bank of England controls their interest rates, how is that independence !?

All of this should have been worked out, in principle, before the vote.

The Fear - 5/8/2014 21:45

The comedy for me is that they want independence but to keep the pound, hence the Bank of England controls their interest rates, how is that independence !?

Said the exact same thing when I saw the debate on the news. Either full independence or none.

david-avfc - 5/8/2014 22:38

The Fear - 5/8/2014 21:45

Said the exact same thing when I saw the debate on the news. Either full independence or none.

But why? They already have a degree of autonomy.
I don't think independence, as envisioned by the SNP, would be good either for Scotland or the rest of the UK.
Either way, though, there will be more devolution.

Devolution yes, but if they truly want and vote for independence, they should have full independence, stand on their own two feet, not then rely on the bank of another country. Surely?