Scottish Independence | Page 6 | Vital Football

Scottish Independence

Villan Of The North - 11/9/2014 11:00

Personally I believe the UK should go federal, with an independent England, Scotland, NI, Wales and IOM all self governing but with a federal government (probably based in London) to take care of matters that concern the entire UK such as defence and some international affairs, embassies and the like. Birmingham would be the natural "capital" of England, with London remaining the capital of the UK. Government could then be focused more on the "local" needs rather than London governing what is essentially 4 different nationalities (5 with IOM) and little understanding of or contact with any of them.

We could then have English, Scottish, Welsh, N.Irish and IOM MPs, ministers and prime ministers with each parliament sending a contingent to the federal government with a president being chosen from within that group.

I'd also get rid of county councils, leaving 3 layers of government, Federal, National and Metropolitan (borough,city or parish councils) with strictly predefined areas of responsibility.

No need to abolish royalty but it could be if that was the will of the people, or each country could chose to recognise, or otherwise, the Crown as they see fit.

I wonder how the Scots would react to that model.

I'm in total agreement and I suspect if this had happened we wouldn't have an indispensably Scotland thread

I know quite a few people that live in NI that are proud to be just Northern Irish. They follow the NI football team and generally attach themselves to being NI more than British or Irish. These people may even vote (if the chance arose) for Independence from the UK but they certainly wouldnt vote to become part of the Republic of Ireland. They would see it as a removal of their birth right & an end to their country.

Is anyone else amazed at the total incompetence of our political class in this slowly developing train crash? First they let Salmond set the timetable, the question and extend the franchise to sixteen year olds when, in every other election, you have to be eighteen to vote. Then they sit back and let the nationalists set the agenda and generally run rings around the establishment. Now, when the result is getting too close to call, they start flapping about like wet hens and promise them everything they could have wished for in the first place short of independence. If they vote "No" they get handed virtual fiscal autonomy knowing that whatever they do the rest of the country will be on hand to bail them out financially. No doubt the taxpayer will pick up the bill. Am I the only one who thinks our politicians are a bunch of incompetent arseholes?

The problem with Northern Ireland is that it's probably too small and resource less to be independent and neither Britain or the Republic really want them.

kefkat - 10/9/2014 04:00

I reckon we are going to have a mass immigration problem is the Scots get a yes vote. Those I know and of through, have said they are all moving down to England if it is a yes vote

England already had a massive population of Scottish immigrants. It's just that it's not counted at the moment.

BodyButter - 10/9/2014 13:26

The problem with Northern Ireland is that it's probably too small and resource less to be independent and neither Britain or the Republic really want them.

There are smaller out there, with less industry: Andorra, Lichtenstein, even Iceland.

No, you're not the only one, ironside.
If it's any consolation, their opposite numbers in Dublin are also a huge disappointment.

If there was a narrow yes vote, with the people from the border regions voting overwhelmingly to remain in the union, should Scotland be split or should those people be governed by the wishes of the Scots in the north?

gator - 12/9/2014 19:19

ClivetheVillan - 12/9/2014 16:57

The Black Country ay what it used to be anymore, you used to walk around as a kid and smell the oil and foundry smell everywhere, now it's all wearhouses and Asda's etc, we have been ripped apart manufacturing wise.
It's what's commonly known as Maggie's legacy me mon we make very little steel these day's mar mate mind you I must admit curry's kebabs and pizza smells a lot nicer with a ballyfull full of beer than the Round Oak steel works ever did.

Ay it just her legacy we am left with here, i was only a bab growing up through her reign of terror and evil tbh, but i can see what you mean what she has done to us flogging our work abroard and improting it from abroad ffs, the kebab's round here am shit now Tipton way tbh, i luv smelling the old works takes me back to me childhood :3:

I just feel sorry for the ordinary Scotts that am struggling as it is to get by and now have this massive uncertainty hanging over their heads, we am all a small country/ies we need to stick together to be taken seriously, this could hurt us all internationally and be forever classed as a non essential reputation, we always shoot ourselves in the foot over here.

I am sick of the whole thing. I have a few friends and relatives up in Scotland. They will be voting No. They are cacking themselves the yes vote wins

I wonder if the latest Sunday Times poll showing the yes vote just ahead is a ploy to get those votes who can't be bothered to act to spur into action.

Could well be the case Skeggy, wouldn't surprise us would it, but after thinking i didn't care what happens yes vote or no i think both us and Scotland would be weaker apart, not sure this would be a good idea for us all tbh.

Bloody hell. 27000 posts in and all of a sudden Villan of the north makes a post I agree with... :17:

And yes,the royals would have to go, but only in my little corner of the world and my line of thinking. Most it appears like to bow, scrape and be subjugated !!!

the political fallout could be catastrophic for the UK as a whole if the Scottish people vote yes. You can guarantee that the Welsh and Northern Irish will see this as a precedent set and they could also demand independence. And with good reason. For years the predominantly English parliament has ruled with bias and given the shit end of the stick to our Gallic cousins. Look at how down the years we fought and ruled with an iron fist to claim their lands. If the English kings had not been so greedy for expansion and waged war, then I doubt the subsequent centuries of battle would have taken place. The Scots would have been content to keep themselves to themselves. Edward - the Hammer of the Scots decided he wanted to rule over the Scots and famously said if we can't wipe them out by force we'll breed them out and invoked his infamous Prima Nocta. Then there's Oliver Cromwell who went on the rampage through Ireland, slaughtering without mercy. And the Welsh were also brought under our rule and their monarchy wiped out. And in recent times, Thatcher deciding to trial the abhorrent pole tax on the Scottish people before rolling it out nationwide. Maybe as English people we don't realise how shit we have been to our neighbours but we have been. Had things been the other way around and it was Scotland that was the major nation of the UK, would we have been as fed up as they are? Yes we would.

But this whole vote has me still wondering about key issues that affect them. We are told they will no longer be allowed to use pound sterling, their economy will be thrown into turmoil. The SNP have said Faslane will be shut down and the UK will have to find a new base for our nuclear arms. Even more unemployment in a nation crippled with unemployment already. What about the North Sea Oil fields that are in Scottish waters? Even things like monarchy - does the Queen still have monarchial rule in Scotland or will that cease with immediate effect or be fazed out? What about Scots resident in the other parts of the UK? Will they now need to apply for a work permit to stay in England etc and vice versa what about other Uk residents living in Scotland? Do Scots living elsewhere get a vote and do non Scots living in Scotland get a vote? Everytime I watch anything about this referendum the key questions seem to be dodged by Salmond and his cronies. And to top it off Cameron comes out with a statement that just strengthens the YES vote by offering incentives if they stay.

The thing that made me think was when i found out that if there is a ''YES'' vote it could well mean we are forever as good as guarenteed a Tory government in westminster as the 40 seats that Labour etc hold in parliment are due to the Scottish seats, so basically Labour would lose 40 seats and have to make them up in a Election.

that too Clive is a major worry - maybe Cameron was being clever and trying to tip the balance so that it hampers Labour in the General Election.