Scottish Independence | Page 2 | Vital Football

Scottish Independence

OnMeHeadFred - 22/1/2014 14:01

It is a real pity that Sid Meier didn't do a game called Caledonia - a sort of better version of Civilisation.

Sim Jockoland.

So it would be possible to play through the various options which independence could offer the Scots.

Changing things like tax rates and benefit levels, etc; choose your economic model from Marxism to Anarcho-capitalism, run the game and see how it comes out.

Difficulty levels could be set by how hostile Westminster is, from benign acceptance and support to the full 'Cuba' embargo.

Pity he didn't.

I think you make have just given Fear an idea for expansion of his business model. I can see it now, it would be an online multi-player game, Vital Independence. You get to chose a country/region and negotiate a new level of political/economic independence from either something like the EU or from a larger country, like Chechnya or Scotland, or you could even be the Falkland Islands and renegotiate protection either with the UK or another country of choice, USA, or one of the south American countries (choose Argentina at your peril though, you might just get carpet bombed by the UK). And then you could choose your form of government, voting systems etc, ultimately setting up football leagues with virtual players and then all this could be discussed on the Vital Football network increasing advertising hits by all the gamers he gets visiting the site enabling him to eventually buy the world!

The man's a megalomaniac!

Green Tea - 22/1/2014 15:12

James06 - 22/1/2014 13:05

Obviously it's up to them, but I wouldnt like them to go it alone, and I think they'd be foolish to do so. All things considered we make a good team, we share a lot of traditions, we enjoy an overall good relationship and I hope it stays that way.

If they do split I think they will certainly suffer more than the UK of England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Agree with this - I think it would be very sad to see Scotland part ways with the Union. The Royal family has massive ties with Scotland as does the British armed forces. Its a solid relationship deep down, yes we have the banter etc but that shouldnt cloud over all the traditions we share and how far we have came under a United Kingdom.

Ive also said before that if the vote favours staying in the Union we should invite Ireland to join in as well. Then Scotland, Ireland(as one North and South), Wales and England could hold a referendum to leave the Euro and we all go it alone as one team..

We have had Scottish Prime ministers, no reason the future couldnt have an Irish PM too.

No country in the Union has lost any of it's traditions. When you enter Wales etc - you know you are entering another country..So no reason why Ireland couldnt join too.

A nice idea but would require a constitutional reform regards the monarchy. Given the history I can't see Catholic Ireland accepting a protestant monarch, at least not while the hold the position as head of the C of E. Mind you, given my comments previously about the Irish debt, the UK pretty much owns Ireland anyway.

They say that if Islay was to keep all the revenue it generates from its whisky industry it would be the richest place in Europe.

Perhaps they'll demand independence from Scotland, using the same argument Scotland is using now.

Would Scotland think that their self-interest was justifiable?

I've changed my mind on this, i want Scotland to become totally independent.

The reason being that I reckon if i set my mind to it I could make it to the next winter olympics as part of the mens curling team. I've done a bit of research and all the current curling players are sweaty socks - so if they have their own team then I stand a much better chance of making into the Great Britain side.

Superb!! I was hoping you'd say that as my team could do with a sponsor.

Even better that you actually posted your backing on a public forum!

Right I'm off down to B and Q for some brooms - I'll keep the receipt for ya JP!

I gotta be honest and say i could not give two fooks if Scotland want to go it alone, we are all run by the elite bankers of the world and certain rich elite families behind the scenes pulling the strings, so this is just a farce about nothing imho, i feel sorry for the ordianry hard working jock who could suffer financially if it goes tits up but thats about it.

Surprised Cameron hasn't sent Gideon up there to campaign - can't help but think that would ensure a yes vote for the sweaties.
Without those votes it would make it much easier for the Tories.

I love Scotland, my wife is Scottish. One of the best places to visit (barring the weather) and the people are extremely welcoming.

Dead against independence, Salmond etc, can never give a straight answer to the key economic issues. They are trading on past memories/hate when Thatcher supposedly looted all the north sea oil revenue.

Living in Belgium, the issue of tuition fees for the Universities is the most interesting issue for us. We have two boys who might want to go to University there. They are both being bought up as Belgians attending flemish speaking schools, but were born in Canterbury!

EU have said their plans for tution fees are unlawful haven't they for those not already based in Scotland?

I do like the 'give us the pound or we'll default' thus announcing to Europe and the world, 'hi we're a new independent country, give us a credit card and we'll never pay you back.'

Not well versed in the economics, but it does seem the SNP want their cake and eat it. This maybe has been discussed further up the thread but only people resident in Scotland can vote, within that not sure who can/cannot (i.e. birthright or limited by term of residency).

I saw the CEO of BP was on the news last week saying it was economic suicide. I cannot seeing it happening.

There should be two referendums, one for the Scots and one for the rest of us, they have their vote giving them the option to leave the UK and the UK get the option to fuck them off.

Oh yes democracy is a two way street......

Villan Of The North - 22/1/2014 14:19

Mind you, given my comments previously about the Irish debt, the UK pretty much owns Ireland anyway.

No, it's the banks that own both the UK and Ireland!
As regards Scotland leaving the UK, I think it'd be a bad day for all the countries concerned.

Looks like that sneaky f*cker Osborne has played a blinder by playing to Scottish pride while kidding his opposition parties to back his false position. Who knows the Jocks may just be stupid enough to fall for it!

Just like the English were/are stupid enough to fall for, well basically everything thrown at us, as BBJ states, "it's the banks that own both the UK and Ireland!" And we let them get away with it.

Wurzel - 22/1/2014 12:00

I think if the people want independence their democratic voice should be heard. of course that means they have to shoulder their fair share of the national debt, and they have to give up a fair share of North sea oil. Not sure the SNP will that keen to do that.

Why should they have to give up any of the North Sea Oil?
Just curious...

If they can claim its in their economic zone England gets fuck all...

Villan Of The North - 22/1/2014 14:19

A nice idea but would require a constitutional reform regards the monarchy. Given the history I can't see Catholic Ireland accepting a protestant monarch, at least not while the hold the position as head of the C of E. Mind you, given my comments previously about the Irish debt, the UK pretty much owns Ireland anyway.

How? You gave us pocket change?

ITs Germany and the IMF that owns us, we have little economic sovereignty...

Forgive me if Im wrong but that 8billion or whatever it was was given to us by choice not through force... Im not bothered googling it but was it not extra money give to us by yourselfs because we are one of your biggest economic partners? If we suffer you guys feel it and vice versa although we'd feel it more to be fair...

Religion has nothing to do with it its simply history that would prevent such a thing from happening... Id like to get away from the EU but very few in Ireland would be open to join team UK in anything other than a purely economic agreement... And thats the only way you could advertise it...