Scottish Independence | Page 3 | Vital Football

Scottish Independence

CDX_EIRE - 15/2/2014 20:00

Wurzel - 22/1/2014 12:00

I think if the people want independence their democratic voice should be heard. of course that means they have to shoulder their fair share of the national debt, and they have to give up a fair share of North sea oil. Not sure the SNP will that keen to do that.

Why should they have to give up any of the North Sea Oil?
Just curious...

If they can claim its in their economic zone England gets fuck all...

Because there will be a certain percentage of investment and tax relief over the years from the rest of the UK so by rights it is not only theirs.

CDX_EIRE - 15/2/2014 21:14

Villan Of The North - 22/1/2014 14:19

A nice idea but would require a constitutional reform regards the monarchy. Given the history I can't see Catholic Ireland accepting a protestant monarch, at least not while the hold the position as head of the C of E. Mind you, given my comments previously about the Irish debt, the UK pretty much owns Ireland anyway.

How? You gave us pocket change?

ITs Germany and the IMF that owns us, we have little economic sovereignty...

Forgive me if Im wrong but that 8billion or whatever it was was given to us by choice not through force... Im not bothered googling it but was it not extra money give to us by yourselfs because we are one of your biggest economic partners? If we suffer you guys feel it and vice versa although we'd feel it more to be fair...

Religion has nothing to do with it its simply history that would prevent such a thing from happening... Id like to get away from the EU but very few in Ireland would be open to join team UK in anything other than a purely economic agreement... And thats the only way you could advertise it...

The British government underwrote 70% of the Irish debt, with the EU underwriting theremainder.

I think for the sake of Britain and Ireland we all should unite then we would be stronger and a modern era force once again, i do worry that there may be hidden forces behind the Alex Sammond led SNP vote for independance, we have many enemies in this world Russia China or it could just be elite bankers idea, with a promise of funding etc and being looked after one of our enemies could and would luv to see Britain rip apart and it only takes one of these to get in with the elites of Scotland etc and wewill be weakend, just a thought.

Bit confused why some in Scotland are saying the English are bullying them saying they can't keep the pound?

Genuinely baffled by that. You can't really have it both ways and the facts have to be spelt out before the vote.

No good them lying saying they can if they can't.

Sounds impossible to me, why go independent and then still let the Bank of England dictate, as they would have to if controlling their currency, interest rates etc?

Us humans are a bit ridiculous really, we spend so much time on things that in the bigger scheme of life, really shouldn't matter.

I know they say they don't vote Tory but still get ruled by the Tories but...

A) they were ruled for twelve or more years by labour more recently than a Tory gov

B) they are currently ruled by a coalition gov

C) I've forgotten point c

D) An awful lot of people in the a North, old mining communities, ship building towns etc also never vote Tory but get ruled by them

Villan Of The North - 15/2/2014 22:02

The British government underwrote 70% of the Irish debt, with the EU underwriting theremainder.

Must say I missed that one only ever heard of 7or8bn coming from England that was outside the bailout funds...

I wish they would have just let us fail sure we would have been hit severely for a good number of years but being in this perpetual economic shithouse is no better...
Fuckers only did it to keep the Euro alive... Second highest GDP debt or something like that in world 190%... I dont particularly want anything to do with the country will its in the hands of others...

Another emigration generation, I hate my Government for it... They didnt leave me with any other option except which Country will I move to...

CDX_EIRE - 16/2/2014 21:31

Villan Of The North - 15/2/2014 22:02

Must say I missed that one only ever heard of 7or8bn coming from England that was outside the bailout funds...

I wish they would have just let us fail sure we would have been hit severely for a good number of years but being in this perpetual economic shithouse is no better...
Fuckers only did it to keep the Euro alive... Second highest GDP debt or something like that in world 190%... I dont particularly want anything to do with the country will its in the hands of others...

Another emigration generation, I hate my Government for it... They didnt leave me with any other option except which Country will I move to...

There is a difference between lending and underwriting the debt. Underwiting is another way of saying guaranteeing, in other words, if the Irish default the British assume the debt, sounds like a great deal for Ireland until you realise that it would effectively mean the Britain would economically own Ireland for dacades to come.

The scots ditching the poundhas to be a concern for all, especially the hard working jocks, its always the less well off people that suffer through pig head brainwaves and money making power grabbing nutters, i don't WANT Scotland to leave us as they as Fear said are there own country like the rest of us anyway, ffs we have had a scottish related PM loads of times and recently this country/tries ain't big enough i think to go it alone and prosper in todays economic climate, got to stick together us Scots Irish Northern Irish and Welsh for all our sakes down the line.

The Fear - 16/2/2014 20:27

Us humans are a bit ridiculous really, we spend so much time on things that in the bigger scheme of life, really shouldn't matter.

Yes, there are even some people who support a football team called Aston Villa.....

Jose Manuel Barroso, president of the EU's ruling body, the European Commission, said Scottish membership would be "extremely difficult, if not impossible".

Whatever Mr Sammond's agenda was here looks to be back firing big time, he wants to be careful he doesn't back himself into corner here if he hasn't already and Cameron and Osbourne realise Scotland will HAVE to stay in the uk now the Eurozone are rejecting them that they take more financies off Scotland, could be a massive mistake this by Sammond for his people.

Billy Lee - 18/2/2014 03:17

Whatever Mr Sammond's agenda was here looks to be back firing big time, he wants to be careful he doesn't back himself into corner here if he hasn't already and Cameron and Osbourne realise Scotland will HAVE to stay in the uk now the Eurozone are rejecting them that they take more financies off Scotland, could be a massive mistake this by Sammond for his people.

It seems to me that this guy wants his cake and to eat it.....

He wants to take Scotland out of the Union, but wants the benefits of being in the Union.

I'm not that bothered as I don't think it will effect me, but it all seems a little strange ....

Getting closer now. I would love a properly conducted poll by someone like youguv to see how the English would actually feel about the split.

Looks like it could be close, which is a shame. Imagine if 51% voted for independence... that leaves 49% absolutely gutted (or vice versa) not sure how you then reconcile that.

Shame it isn't a landslide opinion either way. Be interesting after the vote how the losing 'side' deals with it. Such a passionate subject for them, it could lead to trouble !

I hope they say as they're a vital part if the UK. But ultimately, as Jim said, it's down to them. I fully understand why they'd want to go.

Yes although I would like to see them remain part of the Union , if I were Scottish I think I would most likely resent being governed by a bunch of Old Etonions from the home counties whose party have only 1 MP in Scotland.

What I don't get is they want (or some do) to keep the pound and hence, the Bank of England would still set their interest rates. Makes no sense at all to me. You either want to be a separate country or you don't.

The Fear - 15/7/2014 12:36

What I don't get is they want (or some do) to keep the pound and hence, the Bank of England would still set their interest rates. Makes no sense at all to me. You either want to be a separate country or you don't.

They argue that because we use one currency now, then they have just as much right to as we do, which is fine, but they are (or would be if they vote to) leaving so therefore would surely have to abandon the pound and some point. There will have to be a severance agreement just like a business split.

No one will know what will happen until it does, but I am guessing if they don't leave us, they may set up an in out vote for say every 20 years.