Saving Money & Tips | Page 8 | Vital Football

Saving Money & Tips

I use AVG paid versions but I buy them from Groupon each year as they have packages for a lot cheaper than the headline price and cheaper than the auto renewal.

On the free AVG, do you have to reinstall them every 30 days? Do they keep up to date or do you need to pay to update?

Only thing I really need is a firewall, I do so little on my laptop that is downloading dodgy files like streaming footy or downloading songs I don’t think I need a virus scanner that much.

I have F-Secure which I get free with my Virgin subscription. Really handy as it covers up to 5 devices so all of us are covered on our respective computers .

Are the groupon offers quite regular danvilla?

Yeah they’re on non-stop, it’s normally no more than £30 for the anti virus and internet security for 2 years IIRC. Have a look, loads of offers on there.

Personally I don’t mind spending a little money and knowing it’s not out of date etc for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Yeah, agreed, I'd rather pay something. £30 is way cheaper though than Norton. Mine runs out in June so plenty of time. Re-evaluating a lot of my spending.

For my computer I use Norton, I should probably look around as I’ve just been on auto renew for a few years now. Nothing on my phone as apparently viruses on iPhones are very rare due to the way the operating system works, well beyond my computer knowledge to know how true this is though (apparently iOS is a closed system or something)

I must admit, I rely on the in-built protection of my Mac's OS and Malwarebytes to occasionally check for malware/ransomware etc.

Haven't bought AV software for years and years, since I last had a Windows PC.

No AV software on my phone either, but I do use a VPN if I am using the internet on my phone when out and about, especially with any public wifi I may have joined (on the train, for instance).

Paid for Panda years back but noticed no difference really from Avast freebie. Run Malwarebytes whatsit thing once every couple of months - they are the only two I've used for probably the last decade.

Does anyone know of a good free program for speeding up a computer. Most I've seen are free scans but you have to pay to use them.

Does anyone know of a good free program for speeding up a computer. Most I've seen are free scans but you have to pay to use them.

There's a few things you can do that might work, depending on what's slowing it down.

You could run a disk defragmentation which you can do manually in Windows.

Might be worth downloading Malwarebytes too if you don't have it, there's a free trial but you can still use it afterwards too. There might be some unwanted stuff running in the background that could be slowing you down.

Also just generally freeing up space helps, delete a load of stuff you don't use or need.