Richardson | Page 4 | Vital Football

Richardson

Agree with most of that Bongo, but don't you think Richardson is at a lower standard than his counterparts even in a division as poor as League 1?

The guy is way out of his depth, i'll say it once more though......Thanks for your efforts and loyalty Leam but Ipswich awaits.

He’s not operating on the same playing field as the other managers though - ltd to a squad size far lower than everyone else, no coaches, a rookie guy alongside him, next to no medical team, decimated grounds team meaning the pitche at the stadium and those at the ground won’t be up to scratch, hasn’t been able to spend a penny bringing anyone in and so on.

Put the others under the same restrictions and then you can say whether he’s at a lower standard than his divisional counterparts

In reality he’s probably worse than some and better than others

Agree with most of that Bongo, but don't you think Richardson is at a lower standard than his counterparts even in a division as poor as League 1?

The guy is way out of his depth, i'll say it once more though......Thanks for your efforts and loyalty Leam but Ipswich awaits.

Perhaps you can you go with him because you certainly aren't a WAFC fan.

You stating that under a certain circumstance a coach who hasn't even coached above the second tier in England and not been a manager at any level would've done a better job on the field than 2 of the worlds most proven manager and are saying my argument is naïve. It's a bizarre argument.

I'm certainly not saying all our struggles are down to him, even experienced managers wouldn't have had an easy time of dealing with admin. But I don't think he's done such a great job either - which is understandable as he's not a manager - but that is also why i think retaining him would not be a wise move.

I am sorry if I misled you KDZ, I am not saying you are naive, I am saying the argument is.

The crux of the matter is that people are making a judgement of LR based on him managing a team of out of contract, loanee and youth players. My point about Klopp and Guardiola is that even though they are experienced senior managers if they are only able to field inferior players then you would not expect the same standards. I am aware that a comparison between LR and both of them seems ridiculous, however a comparison of the circumstances is not. I still maintain that if Klopp or Guardiola were given the same circumstances and playing staff they would struggle to do much better as the players would constantly let them down, as has happened to Klopp since the injury to Van Dijk and his other regular CB's.

In my opinion LR has done the best job possible under the circumstances and with the playing staff he has had. I therefore feel it is unjust to judge his managerial skills based on the evidence of this season and would like to see him given the opportunity to carry on with the job but with a decent playing and coaching staff to back him up.

Many of the alternatives being put forward are young managers who have so far only plied their trade in the lower leagues and although experienced may only have as much as LR albeit his is as a no.2.

All that said, Hindley is right, if LR is planning to join up with PC then perhaps now is the time to go, but I would like to see him at least offered a chance to continue in the role and allow him to make the call.

We really are ltd to who we can get in. Bolton took a big gamble. On a non league manager.

Matt Gray is doing a good job at Sutton United. Top of the conference, his remit was to avoid relegation.

Out of work managers with experience that cold want a challenge to get their career back on track include :-

Billy Davies
Kenny Jackett
Phil Brown
Ronnie Moore
Sol Campbell
Chris Coleman maybe

Matt Gray is doing a good job at Sutton United. Top of the conference, his remit was to avoid relegation.

Out of work managers with experience that cold want a challenge to get their career back on track include :-

Billy Davies
Kenny Jackett
Phil Brown
Ronnie Moore
Sol Campbell

Chris Coleman maybe

There. That's better.

;)

This is very interesting.

Tactics, selection, formation, all lead to the chances created - at both ends.

Unfortunately, we're not putting em away at one end, and we seem to be unlucky re the conversion rate at the back.

Richardson and Rioch seem to be doing a decent job .... in part at least.

Stats count for nothing it’s putting the ball in the net more at one end than conceding at the other end.
I know that John. We all know that. I was offering the article - or rather, the stats - as a contribution to the discussion as to whether or not the current management team know what they're doing, or whether they're "out of their depth".

We all know that points win matches. However, if I had to sit through (for example) the stuff that Gillingham (and others) offered every week, I think I'd struggle to keep on watching.

It offers some context. That's all.

None of them for me.

I would be interested in Billy Davies if he is still in touch with the game. in 9 years he got to the Championship play offs 5 times taking Derby up with one of them. Been out of management for 5 years though. If he still has it he would be a very astute manager for league 1 or 2 for me. Has that Scottish tenacity and doggedness that seem to bode so well for them in management.

If we think Gillingham is bad wait till next season One thing we will need to do is defend. The big hoof in the box. League. 2 football is awfull

But next season, how we play is down to us. I don't care how the opposition play.

Billy Davies
Kenny Jackett
Phil Brown
Ronnie Moore
Sol Campbell
Chris Coleman maybe

Jackett is a decent shout, Sol worked wonders at Macclesfield but struggled at Southend so hard to judge him, rest I'd say have been out of the game too long now.

Another few of names I wouldn't be shocked if pops up;

Graham Jones - now we are stable and the manager who brought him to Bournemouth sacked he might think it could be a good chance to get back into management.

Shaun Maloney is Martinez's assistant in Belgium and he has said he fancies a go at management. He would likely hope for a club higher up the leagues but with no managerial experience he may think of his former club as a good starting point.

And Nielson and Lee McCollouch as a pair who Brannigan hired and did well for him at Dundee. I think he'd probably be very keen on bringing them here but I think they just got promoted back to the SPL and will stay.

I'm not saying any of them would be good for us but I do think they could get linked if Richardson does go.

You might get that sort of manager here. Mooney. Some one might come in. And think you need a big six foot yard dog. Up front and two bid brutes at the back. And then what would you say.
Firstly, I'm not the one wanting Richardson gone. That's why I thought the stats interesting.

If he did go, and someone came in who plays like that (a modern day John Beck) I'd probably still go, but I'd be the one moaning every week if we didn't win 6-0. Moaning a lot !

You might get that sort of manager here. Mooney. Some one might come in. And think you need a big six foot yard dog. Up front and two bid brutes at the back. And then what would you say.

To be fair i generally agree you need 2 big imposing centre backs and a big target man. But it doesn't mean you have to play ugly long ball none stop. We had that with Balogun, Kipre and Moore at the tail end end of last season but we're playing some of the best football we've seen in ages.

But I know what you mean about style of manager. I don't get the impression from Brannigans previous appointments at other clubs that a Pulis-esq boss is what he would go for.

I know that John. We all know that. I was offering the article - or rather, the stats - as a contribution to the discussion as to whether or not the current management team know what they're doing, or whether they're "out of their depth".

We all know that points win matches. However, if I had to sit through (for example) the stuff that Gillingham (and others) offered every week, I think I'd struggle to keep on watching.

It offers some context. That's all.

Interesting stats but the issue remains that virtually every decent cross into our box is a free header for the opposition. If you aren't giving many other type of chances away but those it will be enough to lose you games. As it showed against Accy, Wimbledon and Gills in the run of games in question.

Our ability to keep a clean sheet is often down to the opposition missing those chances rather than us successfully dealing with those type of balls.

Interesting stats but the issue remains that virtually every decent cross into our box is a free header for the opposition. If you aren't giving many other type of chances away but those it will be enough to lose you games. As it showed against Accy, Wimbledon and Gills in the run of games in question.

Our ability to keep a clean sheet is often down to the opposition missing those chances rather than us successfully dealing with those type of balls.

With those comments, I'm not sure you got the gist of those stats. Regardless of the quality of some of our crosses, we're well up there in terms of making really good goal-scoring chances. At the same time, at the back, we're excellent at not offering too many really good goal-scoring chances.

Our twin problems are that at one end, we don't convert them, whilst at the other end, the opposition do.