Richardson | Page 14 | Vital Football

Richardson

Any road! Back on topic. Next season will obviously be a lot tougher than this, & finishing mid table - within the top 4 of the bottom half of the championship would be a great achievement & a policy of building slowly.

I hope that when things do go a bit rough & we find ourselves lower down the league, I hope the owners don't start pressing the panic button & fire LR.

LR has done everything right up to now but can he be ruthless ?... to make way for championship standard players some will have to go to make way. They are obviously a great bunch and I don't envy these decisions but they must be made.

Any road! Back on topic. Next season will obviously be a lot tougher than this, & finishing mid table - within the top 4 of the bottom half of the championship would be a great achievement & a policy of building slowly.

I hope that when things do go a bit rough & we find ourselves lower down the league, I hope the owners don't start pressing the panic button & fire LR.

Exactly this. We obviously need to strengthen in certain areas but I still think the Championship is not as strong as it once was. Clearly there’ll be some good teams in there but our goal is to avoid relegation and consolidate. Bar one or two exceptional teams, such as Fulham this season, most are solid, combative teams and I expect we’ll try and recruit those type of players and be similar.

Richardson has had two years experience of the league, albeit as assistant, but he will know what is required so is not a complete novice at this level. As you say things will likely get rough at some point, and critiquing, moaning call it what you will is fine and natural. However it’s important folk keep their nerve and get behind him and the team - and as you say the board don’t panic.

I don't think the owners will panic, it doesn't seem the way they operate, however, it is the fans that need to keep their cool and cut out the knee jerk reactions on social media to the odd poor performance.

I don't think the owners will panic, it doesn't seem the way they operate, however, it is the fans that need to keep their cool and cut out the knee jerk reactions on social media to the odd poor performance.

And we all know which fans will provide the knee jerk reactions.

LR has done everything right up to now but can he be ruthless ?... to make way for championship standard players some will have to go to make way. They are obviously a great bunch and I don't envy these decisions but they must be made.
That was a strength of Paul Cooks. Fired off Power immediately despite him being pretty much a regular starter in the second half of the season we won L1. Fired off Grigg after half a season. Player of the year Nathan Byrne couldn't get a game until Reece James was moved to CM. The shit Reece James was fired off as well for Antonee Robinson.

Nice and easy to say that three days after winning the league. But if we're rooted in the bottom three having lost seven on the bounce without scoring a goal and crowds inevitably drop like a stone, then I'd challenge any owner in football not to panic and start thinking about a change.

Don't forget, the only reason Paul Cook kept his job when we were in the shit back in December 2019 was his demand for a full payout (which he was rightly entitled to having signed a four year contract around a year and half earlier). Having signed a three year deal just post administration, I suspect Leam would be far cheaper to dismiss if we find ourselves in a similar situation.

Last edited:

He was pretty ruthless when he binned off a load of youth players last season to make way for more seasoned pros that he felt would get us out of relegation trouble.
Many, including me, criticised him for that especially when early results weren't great but he's shown that he can make those difficult decisions & not only that but make the right calls on top of that

That was a strength of Paul Cooks. Fired off Power immediately despite him being pretty much a regular starter in the second half of the season we won L1. Fired off Grigg after half a season. Player of the year Nathan Byrne couldn't get a game until Reece James was moved to CM. The shit Reece James was fired off as well for Antonee Robinson.

Nice and easy to say that three days after winning the league. But if we're rooted in the bottom three having lost seven on the bounce without scoring a goal and crowds inevitably drop like a stone, then I'd challenge any owner in football not to panic and start thinking about a change.

Don't forget, the only reason Paul Cook kept his job when we were in the shit back in December 2019 was his demand for a full payout (which he was rightly entitled to having signed a four year contract around a year and half earlier). Having signed a three year deal just post administration, I suspect Leam would be far cheaper to dismiss if we find ourselves in a similar situation.
Crowds won't drop like a stone. Majority who watch will be season card holders. They will count on the crowd anyway. They will of course pick and choose.

Nice and easy to say that three days after winning the league. But if we're rooted in the bottom three having lost seven on the bounce without scoring a goal and crowds inevitably drop like a stone......

In the same respect CL, you're a cheery soul after a fantastic achievement of winning the league title 3 days ago with a cracking PR stunt with 'Party in the Park......bit hey let's not bask in the glory of all that when we can dream up doom & gloom scenarios like you've done. Going over old ground i know but we've done ever so well when you consider where we were at the start of the season, the major medical drama with our main striker plus other serious injuries to some of our 1st team squad & a squeaky bum time last few games of the season can we not just wallow in our own enjoyment and pleasures of seeing us promoted till at least the start of the new season.....come on ffs

If you look from Reading up to let's say Blackpool then there's no reason why we can't be in or better than that pack of teams.

The standard isn't what it was 3 years ago with teams like Swansea Birmingham and Cardiff for example.

Plus we've got an incredible feel good factor and plenty of momentum coming up a division. I think Leam needs 4 or 5 player to improve the squad adding the elements we miss like pace and creativity. Combined with the right knit unit we have there's no reason we can't have a good season.

Still go tlikes of shinnie and McGrath to have a pre season and Cousins coming back to fitness.

If you look from Reading up to let's say Blackpool then there's no reason why we can't be in or better than that pack of teams.

The standard isn't what it was 3 years ago with teams like Swansea Birmingham and Cardiff for example.

Plus we've got an incredible feel good factor and plenty of momentum coming up a division. I think Leam needs 4 or 5 player to improve the squad adding the elements we miss like pace and creativity. Combined with the right knit unit we have there's no reason we can't have a good season.

Still go tlikes of shinnie and McGrath to have a pre season and Cousins coming back to fitness.

Agree with the 4 or 5 players needed GL but my worry is if Leam will utilise the players correctly, what he got away with in League 1 he'll get slaughtered in the championship for sure, everyone could see the cock ups being made late on in the season except Richardson, ie team selections, subs, and game time.

Lets hope he's learned his lesson, he's had the whole fanbase going bloody crackers for the past 3 weeks.

But I wasn't talking about being "rooted in the bottom three having lost seven on the bounce" was I. I was bemoaning the fact that some of the posters on here want to throw themselves off a cliff when we have a single bad result . The knee jerk reactions of some are laughable to say the least.

My point is that the owners seem to be very grounded and less prone to those reactions and therefore will probably be more open to giving LR time to establish us in the division, whereas some of our fans will no doubt be calling for change as soon as we lose a game, or even before the season starts as has been seen before.

No doubt there will be more insults thrown at those who call for calm and the usual "happy clapper" taunts thrown around again.

Agree with the 4 or 5 players needed GL but my worry is if Leam will utilise the players correctly, what he got away with in League 1 he'll get slaughtered in the championship for sure, everyone could see the cock ups being made late on in the season except Richardson, ie team selections, subs, and game time.

Lets hope he's learned his lesson, he's had the whole fanbase going bloody crackers for the past 3 weeks.

Strange? I class myself as part of the fanbase but I certainly haven't been going crackers for the past three weeks.

Best thing for us next season is to have a season like nob end have. No threat of relegation or promotion now that would be great for a change.

6th Dec 2021:
Championship side Preston North End have sacked head coach Frankie McAvoy.
The Scot, 54, was appointed in May after a spell as interim boss following Alex Neil's departure in March.
He departs with Preston 18th in the Championship, having lost eight of their 21 games so far.

Nice and easy to say that three days after winning the league. But if we're rooted in the bottom three having lost seven on the bounce without scoring a goal and crowds inevitably drop like a stone......

In the same respect CL, you're a cheery soul after a fantastic achievement of winning the league title 3 days ago with a cracking PR stunt with 'Party in the Park......bit hey let's not bask in the glory of all that when we can dream up doom & gloom scenarios like you've done. Going over old ground i know but we've done ever so well when you consider where we were at the start of the season, the major medical drama with our main striker plus other serious injuries to some of our 1st team squad & a squeaky bum time last few games of the season can we not just wallow in our own enjoyment and pleasures of seeing us promoted till at least the start of the new season.....come on ffs
Where's the fun in that though Jock? It's been three days and I'm bored of being all lovey dovey on here now. Time to crack that whip!

Where's the fun in that though Jock? It's been three days and I'm bored of being all lovey dovey on here now. Time to crack that whip!

Well not for me, I'm not bored yet with all this feel good factor of winning the league...in fact I'm hoping to carry this feel good factor on my trip to Vegas this week where if rumours are true I hope to bump into the Latics team on their well earned 'jolly'