Retained List | Page 5 | Vital Football

Retained List

Yep, it's the modern way indeed, I've said before that the likes of Hess and Hillyard for the Gills and Gerrard and Terry higher up in the game are well gone. I think Mark Noble is probably the last notable player of that ilk. He was a guest on The Peter Crouch podcast and still seems excited to be playing for the club he supported as a child. (17 years and 460 matches) Made even more incredible that he has been retained by nine managers (8.if you include Moyes twice). He must be some pro in these days when managers come in and buy and sell players like they're going out of fashion but still keep him on.

As an aside, I believe he is the "anonymous" player that was interviewed some time ago who donates his full wage every week (£100k) to charity as, in his words, he has "earned enough from football in his career and doesn't need any more".
Proper gent and more than decent player over the years.

Completely agree with that, Noble is a dying breed and there aren't many like him left any more. Not the most skilful but a grafter and the type of character we appreciate at Priestfield.

Glad that Willock’s gone. Surprised Samuel was only on a one-year deal being a marquee signing, but as our highest earner he disappointed. Get rid of Akinde too (with thanks) and that frees up possibly 7-8k a week alone.

Happy O’Keefe and MacDonald have signed new contracts.

Not surprised Ogilvie and Graham have gone. Graham was hit and miss but when he was hit he was very productive. We only had him for little over a season so I’m not too upset. Ogilvie hurts a bit, a fantastic FB and CB is tough to replace. After a few years developing him it feels like a slap in the face that he runs down his contract. Should we maybe consider selling players when they start their final year if they don’t want to sign a new deal?

Bonham has spilt a load recently and just doesn’t look as solid as when we first signed him. Maybe these recent errors are still fresh in my mind but I’ll be surprised if he finds anyone higher and think he’s replaceable enough. As others have said I wonder what Lumley’s like now.

A load of new players to bring in but only three first teamers have gone. That’s not a horrific rebuild.

I think Ogilvie has done well enough to have a crack at the Championship and good luck to him. Like Eaves you can't blame him for (potentially) moving for 2/3 times his salary.

In no particular order;

Ogilvie- Disappointed to see him leave. Was sort of hoping SE could’ve persuaded him to give us one more year to have a serious crack at promotion. Loved his style, attitude, professionalism during his time with us. Certainly don’t begrudge him a move, although as others have said, hopefully to the championship for a much better wage. Would irk me a little if he signed for Charlton/Ipswich/someone like that.

Graham- not too bothered. Was always gonna go, whilst he’s exciting to watch and clearly an asset we do become predictable when he’s playing. Ie, give it to Jordan and let him do something. We had a few really good team performances whilst he was out injured. So thanks for the year, good luck in the future.

Bastien/Willock/Johnson- not bothered.

Samuel- strangest thing is the one year deal we gave him. He obviously has talent yet unfortunately we never saw the best of him this time around. Expensive gamble that didn’t really pay off. Not too bothered about him going either if I’m honest. Think the money can be better spent elsewhere.

Bonham- seems an odd one. Can only assume his agent has touted him around and got him a far better deal elsewhere. Although whilst settled here, with no real competition for his place I’m surprised he’s opted to leave, but again, really not fussed. If the comments above are true that he sees himself as a championship keeper I think he’s in for a shock. I don’t think he’s anywhere near capable nor consistent enough for the league above.
*Edit* Markinkent mentioned on another thread that lumley is leaving QPR. Maybe Evans has this lined up already. Would be Very happy if so..............

Would love to see Cundy and OConnor back again. Also wouldn’t surprise me to see Olly Lee sign permanently.

Dempsey, O’Keefe, Mackenzie, Macdonald, Oliver, Tucker is the basis of a bloody good side.

Will be interesting to see who Evans brings in. After 1st July, obviously.......

Last edited:
I think Ogilvie has done well enough to have a crack at the Championship and good luck to him. Like Eaves you can't blame him for (potentially) moving for 2/3 times his salary.
The problem is there seems to me to be a shift away from transfer fees. Presumably we’ll get no sell-on clause too? The big clubs keep their money and don’t give it down to the little teams. Should we start looking at selling players in their final year who aren’t signing new deals to break even? Starting with Dempsey? Don’t Peterborough or someone automatically put their final year players on the transfer list?

The problem is there seems to me to be a shift away from transfer fees. Presumably we’ll get no sell-on clause too? The big clubs keep their money and don’t give it down to the little teams. Should we start looking at selling players in their final year who aren’t signing new deals to break even? Starting with Dempsey? Don’t Peterborough or someone automatically put their final year players on the transfer list?

Considering that nearly half the team are loans, what is the difference between that and having a player in the last year of their contract?

In both cases, the player can impress while playing for us but is still not be ours to sell at the end of it.

Ogilvie is a prime example. He had at least two loan spells with us while a Spurs player but if a bigger team had come for him then, the transfer fee would have gone to Spurs.

Balance that with the fact that when a loan player does NOT impress, (perhaps someone like Drysdale) we can just send them back at the end of the spell with no more wages to pay.

I think the future is a combination of loans and better players that we can persuade to come here in order to get fit and put themselves in the window - Graham and Samuel are obvious examples and I think we were lucky to get Dempsey on a two year deal.

I think transfer listing players only helps if they’re good enough that someone is will to pay a fee for them, and that we don’t try and ask for something unreasonable.

I know Akinde is listed for transfer, I’m not sure whether his performance with us will be enough to entice someone to pay for him. Especially if they could just wait a year and get him on a free.

I think transfer listing players only helps if they’re good enough that someone is will to pay a fee for them, and that we don’t try and ask for something unreasonable.
I know Akinde is listed for transfer, I’m not sure whether his performance with us will be enough to entice someone to pay for him. Especially if they could just wait a year and get him on a free.

I would guess that we are not looking for, or expecting, fees for Akinde or Maghoma. Particularly the latter as we did not pay a fee for him and he has only played for us 4 times.

They are just the two that we do not want but can not put on the released list as they still have a year left on their contracts.

I would guess that we are not looking for, or expecting, fees for Akinde or Maghoma. Particularly the latter as we did not pay a fee for him and he has only played for us 4 times.

They are just the two that we do not want but can not put on the released list as they still have a year left on their contracts.

Agreed. I suspect both are available on a free. Akinde was close to joining sarfend in January.

To offer a top performancing player like Eaves or Ogilvie a longer deal the year before their deal runs out would require upping their salary. That is why we don't do it .Offering longer contracts to begin with can leave you in a Bristol rovers type position. Especially right now I think I would prefer fewer multi year contracts as you still have to pay them regardless of the circumstances.

True, I didn’t consider that when I posted.

True, but Trev's point was regarding players who we already know we'd like to keep (and hence offer them a new contract when they have 1 year remaining on their existing contract). I suspect in most cases those kinds of players (Ogilvie and Graham in the case of this season) would attract interest, although whether they'd be prepared to pay what we consider a reasonable price would be another matter.

I think we might get a fee for Akindie. It all depends how his salary compares with other quality league two strikers. That's what I see him as anyway.