Retained List | Page 2 | Vital Football

Retained List

I wish Ogilvie was offered something mid-season. That said he may have already indicated he was moving on.

Not too fussed about Bonham or Graham.

O'Keefe signing is a huge bonus. Disappointed Ogilvie has gone, Graham I fully expected and Bonham is replaceable. I was surprised we only had Samuel until the end of the season.
Hopefully he will reduce the yellow cards next time out.

If Dempsey is staying then it's time to add another year to his contract - NOW.

The same for Tucker and Oliver too.

Some of Evans signings were very poor and his judgement in this area is somewhat lacking.

Willock, Akinde, Johnson, Maghoma and the crap loans at the start. This area is the only one that concerns me about BFSE.

Those wages were a waste and we cannot afford passengers.
Average for majority of managers is that less than half of signings turn out to be successful. There are plenty of factors , personal and confidence for example, that can result in a player not living up to how he seemed in the scouting process. I'm definitely with Nobby on this.

Average for majority of managers is that less than half of signings turn out to be successful. There are plenty of factors , personal and confidence for example, that can result in a player not living up to how he seemed in the scouting process. I'm definitely with Nobby on this.
At least we don’t pay tens of millions for flops like many of the Premier League clubs.
I see our Matty Willock and raise you Pepe 😂

Disappointed to lose Graham, our most creative player, we need to be able to replace him with something similar.
Bonham's been quite arrogant on social media recently, saying that he wants to play in the championship, but if he has to, he will stay at Gills.

Disappointed to lose Graham, our most creative player, we need to be able to replace him with something similar.
Bonham's been quite arrogant on social media recently, saying that he wants to play in the championship, but if he has to, he will stay at Gills.
Spot on davey.
Unfortunately there are very few players at our level that have the ability of Graham.
He’s pretty irreplaceable.
His crossing was hugely important to our playing style.
Without a winger who can do that with both feet, Evans may have to slightly change the system.

Mixed feelings about the news.

Pleased to see a lot of deadwood being released to save the club money, which can be spent on replacement, hopefully better players.

Disappointed to see Ogilvie go. He's the one player out-of-contract who I really wanted to see us keep, but fully understand it from his and the club's point of view. He's going to be sought after and it's unlikely that we'd be able to keep him. I hope he makes a move to the Championship and tests himself there and I wish him well if he does. I'll be less pleased if he makes a sideways move to League One rival.

I always said that I thought Graham was excellent in many matches and I'd have liked him to stay, but with his injury record and his slightly getting found out by some of the better teams, I wouldn't be hugely fussed to see him go. Another one I wish luck and hope he stays injury free and does well - again, ideally at a Championship club and not a rival.

Bonham is a strange one. My view was that I was happy for him to stay - he's done quite well, but he hasn't been outstanding and has been responsible for a few howlers and I wouldn't be too fussed to see him go. Given his decent, but far from outstanding form, I can't see anyone above us in the pecking order coming up for him, but good luck to him if he thinks he can do better. Maybe SE and Scally were of a similar view to me and didn't offer him the wage he wanted?

I'm amazed that Samuel, who surely must have been on a good wage and possibly had a decent signing on fee, only had a one year contract. Maybe I am harsh, but regard his second spell as a bit of a nab of good wages. I'd have personally liked to have seen him stay as, when fit, I think he's class. I'll be interested to hear SE and Scally's reasoning for the one year contract and releasing him.

With Graham and Samuel going, I am surprised to see Akinde transfer listed. A lot of people aren't fans of his, but I always thought he was a good option. He may of course still stay, but clearly he's not in SE's plans, which I'm surprised at.

Very pleased that O'Keefe has signed, but not surprised. He's been vital to our upturn in form, but with his age, injury and disciplinary record was unlikely to attract many suitors - for me, great for both him and the club that he's staying. I am also pleased to see Macdonald staying. I wasn't impressed to start and he looks like a weeble, but he really improved as the season came on and both he and O'Keefe added grit to the midfield in different ways and allowed Dempsey to get forward more, where he's best, and allowed us to play more attacking players.

Also, very pleased to see the confirmation that Oliver and Dempsey are contracted, which we suspected anyway, but you can never be too sure (e.g. Samuel). Hopefully, they'll both stay, but if they do go, we should get a good fee, but hope it's done as soon as possible to enable us to replace them for the start of the season and ideally pre-season, but let's hope they stay.

Also, I note that Olly Lee has been released by Hearts, so wonder whether he could be heading our way. Another one for me, who I'd happily see us take, but wouldn't be fussed if we didn't.

Haven't seen those comments from Bonham, but if true, it's poor form and he's delluding himself. He's been decent, but far from anything special and very much mid-League One level, so if any teams have watched him closely and have monitored such comments, I can't see why they'd be interested.

If Dempsey is staying then it's time to add another year to his contract - NOW.

The same for Tucker and Oliver too.

Absolutey amazes me when people come out with these comments wx.

a/ as mentioned above. It’s a 2 way street. Players, especially good ones, will want to keep their options open and won’t just sign an extended deal unless it’s an offer too good to refuse.

And b/ I’d imaging the club had already offered new deals to players it wants to keep anyway. Do you honestly think Paul Scally likes to just see good players and good money walk out the door?

They’d have been trying to negotiate extended deals for the good players even before the last season started. Or in Oliver’s case, as soon as he started scoring regular. No brainer.

I'm really surprised Samuel was only one a one season deal.

We "signed" him from a Championship side so he is probably confident that he can still do the business in the Championship. As per Graham, he was probably happy to sign for us for a season during the pandemic to remain in the picture and keep fit at a club he knows. Meanwhile we benefit from a Championship experienced striker.

We "signed" him from a Championship side so he is probably confident that he can still do the business in the Championship. As per Graham, he was probably happy to sign for us for a season during the pandemic to remain in the picture and keep fit at a club he knows. Meanwhile we benefit from a Championship experienced striker.
Shame that we didn’t get the best from Dom due to injury.
When he played, I thought he looked very good.
Maybe he’s destined back to the league above or quite possibly to one of the big league one sides.
Let’s be honest, there’s plenty to choose from now.

Anyone seen the “fans” forum on Facebook? 😂

They are all (well, the main contributors) gobsmacked that we didn’t sign Ogilvie, Graham etc and it’s a sign Evans and Scally have no idea.

The place actually gets more entertaining as time passes due to the strange alternate universe they seem to live in.

Absolutely spot on both Graham and Samual have used GFC to kick start their careers and we have benefited as a club and supporters- over to PDPS and SE to find players in the same situation and use the above two as evidence of what coming to GFC can do for their career.

Anyone seen the “fans” forum on Facebook? 😂

They are all (well, the main contributors) gobsmacked that we didn’t sign Ogilvie, Graham etc and it’s a sign Evans and Scally have no idea.

The place actually gets more entertaining as time passes due to the strange alternate universe they seem to live in.
I can't go on there any more, I was banned for introducing a balanced point of view 🙄

For me, the best news is that it now seems like SE is staying so at least we can be confident that the squad rebuilding is in good hands. (Depending on budget obviously)
If we'd lost some of those players with any other manager in charge, then I'd be worried.
I am not sure that is in anyway certain.Evans might stay but as I have said I believe he will get a offer.
Not that shocked at the list of course disappointments at losing some good players on free transfers but see other thread I was fairly close.Delighted O'Keefe is staying a link with Suffolk too.I did worry Ipswich might come in for him.
As for Bonham he was far from a world beater .We need a more dominate vocal keeper especially if we have young centre backs again. A Vince Bartram type keeper would suit I believe.
As for Samuel for a shame but fitness was the main concern his pay demands could have been dead in the water because of that issue.