Retained List | Page 4 | Vital Football

Retained List

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of continuity from one season to the next. I suppose it's the modern game accentuated by covid.
Yep, it's the modern way indeed, I've said before that the likes of Hess and Hillyard for the Gills and Gerrard and Terry higher up in the game are well gone. I think Mark Noble is probably the last notable player of that ilk. He was a guest on The Peter Crouch podcast and still seems excited to be playing for the club he supported as a child. (17 years and 460 matches) Made even more incredible that he has been retained by nine managers (8.if you include Moyes twice). He must be some pro in these days when managers come in and buy and sell players like they're going out of fashion but still keep him on.

As an aside, I believe he is the "anonymous" player that was interviewed some time ago who donates his full wage every week (£100k) to charity as, in his words, he has "earned enough from football in his career and doesn't need any more".
Proper gent and more than decent player over the years.

Yep, it's the modern way indeed, I've said before that the likes of Hess and Hillyard for the Gills and Gerrard and Terry higher up in the game are well gone. I think Mark Noble is probably the last notable player of that ilk. He was a guest on The Peter Crouch podcast and still seems excited to be playing for the club he supported as a child. (17 years and 460 matches) Made even more incredible that he has been retained by nine managers (8.if you include Moyes twice). He must be some pro in these days when managers come in and buy and sell players like they're going out of fashion but still keep him on.

As an aside, I believe he is the "anonymous" player that was interviewed some time ago who donates his full wage every week (£100k) to charity as, in his words, he has "earned enough from football in his career and doesn't need any more".

I've always admired Mark Noble. If that's true about his wages going to charity, my admiration for him has increased further.

Another notable long term player is James Coppinger at Donny. 40yo now and about 18 seasons at Donny. Incredible career.

I've always admired Mark Noble. If that's true about his wages going to charity, my admiration for him has increased further.
Here's the interview Bud, I think you'll like it. As I said, he's never been confirmed as being Noble but there are theories. His wage is the same as mentioned in the interview (I was a bit out, he's on £200k pm), there are a couple of West Ham clues and his use of language does sound very "East end". There are other suspects but I heard in a talksport (I think) article that he was favourite. Whoever he is, he sounds a top bloke

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-player-wage-cut-matt-hancock

Here's the interview Bud, I think you'll like it. As I said, he's never been confirmed as being Noble but there are theories. His wage is the same as mentioned in the interview (I was a bit out, he's on £200k pm), there are a couple of West Ham clues and his use of language does sound very "East end". There are other suspects but I heard in a talksport (I think) article that he was favourite. Whoever he is, he sounds a top bloke

https://www.football365.com/news/feature-premier-league-player-wage-cut-matt-hancock

Thanks mate, will listen to that later.

I wonder how much Peterborough want for Mo Eisa ?
Too good to shit on their bench.

Last edited:
I think Evans and scally are very aware that there will be a lot of very good players around desperate for clubs as we now have a different economic environment and I’m sure they will be able to get some good players in the cheap. Putting players on long term contracts can come back to bite you. Gills have done well overall this season so as you guys say there is a good nucleus of players left.

Glad that Willock’s gone. Surprised Samuel was only on a one-year deal being a marquee signing, but as our highest earner he disappointed. Get rid of Akinde too (with thanks) and that frees up possibly 7-8k a week alone.

Happy O’Keefe and MacDonald have signed new contracts.

Not surprised Ogilvie and Graham have gone. Graham was hit and miss but when he was hit he was very productive. We only had him for little over a season so I’m not too upset. Ogilvie hurts a bit, a fantastic FB and CB is tough to replace. After a few years developing him it feels like a slap in the face that he runs down his contract. Should we maybe consider selling players when they start their final year if they don’t want to sign a new deal?

Bonham has spilt a load recently and just doesn’t look as solid as when we first signed him. Maybe these recent errors are still fresh in my mind but I’ll be surprised if he finds anyone higher and think he’s replaceable enough. As others have said I wonder what Lumley’s like now.

A load of new players to bring in but only three first teamers have gone. That’s not a horrific rebuild.

I think Evans and scally are very aware that there will be a lot of very good players around desperate for clubs as we now have a different economic environment and I’m sure they will be able to get some good players in the cheap. Putting players on long term contracts can come back to bite you. Gills have done well overall this season so as you guys say there is a good nucleus of players left.
Welcome back Kettners, long time no see (unless I've missed you on another thread)

Shrewsbury appear to be in a better financial state than some clubs Graham could be the target as a star signing.Just found this bit dated admitted.
https://www.shropshirestar.com/spor...01819-club-post-profit-of-more-than-2million/

I can see that. I presume he is from or has links around there having played for Wolves, so it is local. Maybe Shrews are willing to make him their top signing, whereas maybe we weren't with Evans and Scally possibly being cautious about his injuries? Let's not forget that we (supposedly the lowest budget in the League which I don't believe but don't doubt our budget us low) signed Dempsey last season, one of Fleetwood's (supposedly well backed) best players to be our captain and star man.

My guess for Graham would be Charlton, they bid for him in January which seemed to turn his head, and his performances dropped a notch from January onwards. Assuming he’s moved down this way to play for us, then he wouldn’t have to move again to play for Charlton on probably double the wages we could pay.

Who are yer - who are- yer

welcome back.

My guess for Graham would be Charlton, they bid for him in January which seemed to turn his head, and his performances dropped a notch from January onwards. Assuming he’s moved down this way to play for us, then he wouldn’t have to move again to play for Charlton on probably double the wages we could pay.
Charlton were managed at the time by Bowyer who has since left and gone to Birmingham so I wouldn’t rule a move back to the midlands out for Graham.

Charlton were managed at the time by Bowyer who has since left and gone to Birmingham so I wouldn’t rule a move back to the midlands out for Graham.
Yes that’s true, would he be as effective in the Championship though? He got found out a bit in League 1 in the latter part of the season, it would be harder for him in the Championship.

Agree with @Nobby_66, SE staying is absolutely key. Especially as he clearly stated that he’d stay if the Club was going to ensure the mechanics to make a promotion push next season. Disappointed to see the departing players leave but have 100% confidence SE has a plan in place. UTG!!!!

Not much will happen until the club knows what will be allowed after June 21st, and how many clubs can afford the current contracts.