Retained List And Squad | Page 4 | Vital Football

Retained List And Squad

Most posters on this site will have seen more games than me this season, so I wouldn't dream of challenging views on individual players. But looking at the stats/league table, we finished 9 points below third place. It was not goals against which was our problem, in fact only 3 teams had better, and there were only 2 goals between the best 5 records. But it was goals for. We scored 64, the top three 76, 94, 79.

The way teams play. from back to front, can influence the number of goals scored, but the implication is that it's the strike force where we need to concentrate

Interestingly we are thinking about a player who despite all the chatter about his goal-scoring ability has only scored 14 this season for Stevenage - so hardly prolific and not scored as many as Greeny

Most posters on this site will have seen more games than me this season, so I wouldn't dream of challenging views on individual players. But looking at the stats/league table, we finished 9 points below third place. It was not goals against which was our problem, in fact only 3 teams had better, and there were only 2 goals between the best 5 records. But it was goals for. We scored 64, the top three 76, 94, 79.

The way teams play. from back to front, can influence the number of goals scored, but the implication is that it's the strike force where we need to concentrate
Spot on Stoke as I've said it was the lack another regular goalscorer that has cost us or maybe not moving Green to the wing who know?
Thing is turning just 5 of the 15 draws into wins we Gert 85 points and finish 3rd.
Not a lot required IMHO to get an automatic promotion place.

Ginnelly released by Burnley. I wonder if a familiar face will be spotted around the Bank having a trial airing in the near future?

Haven't seen the £250k loss thread, but the £1.3m will be accounted for as capital expenditure and won't hit profit in 2017/18 reporting (I really should have applied for that job)

Spot on Stoke as I've said it was the lack another regular goalscorer that has cost us or maybe not moving Green to the wing who know?
Thing is turning just 5 of the 15 draws into wins we Gert 85 points and finish 3rd.
Not a lot required IMHO to get an automatic promotion place.

Turn just 3 of the 15 draws into defeats and we miss out on the playoffs. Of course I agree we lacked a 4th striker but the last time I checked those Experimental361 stats we were reasonably good at taking chances.

Where we came up short was in creating them. The movement of the right striker helps with that but you still need someone to put the ball in the right place.

The issue is the midfield for me and tinkering with that there is a payoff between attack and defence hence I don't totally agree with the idea that the defence is okay and we just need to focus on the attack.

https://experimental361.com/2018/05/06/scatter-graphics-league-2-2017-18/

Bit of both for me. As well as getting Green back in the centre, we definitely need a fox in the box type forward to complement the others and allow us more flexibility. We also need the Boateng type midfielder, one that can hold the ball and do that bit of something special to unlock a packed defence.
I could be wrong , but I also get the feeling we didn't get enough goals from midfield. Maybe Pett is the long term answer to that.
First choice back 4 and keeper are fine, but we lack cover at full back. If long goes we need one for each side.
Depending on who goes, I think we need 4 or 5 minimum. If we lose any regular player from this season it's more. A couple of good quality loans to give us the numbers we need, 23/24 to my mind.

As good as Boetang looked in both games, he's only.scored 2.goals.this season, which isn't a great return. I get the feeling the Cowleys see the midfield as the least important area from an offensive point of view, as KA and Beck did before him.

Is there a view that if Sam H had been able to play more games this season, his deliveries may have proved the difference between us hitting the top three, and not getting the goals we needed?

Definitely need a bit bigger squad.
Tom Miller would be a good addition as he can cover both right back and centre back.
Left back cover needed too.
Wide areas need attention as seem to have gone from 5/6 wingers to 1!
Agree with skip more creation and goals from midfield, Pett or Freck to fill this role?
Clearly a striker or two required,hearing we are being linked with Hopper from Scunny and the rumours of Taylor joining us seem to be growing too

Definitely need a bit bigger squad.
Tom Miller would be a good addition as he can cover both right back and centre back.
Left back cover needed too.
Wide areas need attention as seem to have gone from 5/6 wingers to 1!
Agree with skip more creation and goals from midfield, Pett or Freck to fill this role?
Clearly a striker or two required,hearing we are being linked with Hopper from Scunny and the rumours of Taylor joining us seem to be growing too

Taylor has had a fall out with his Manager, has been offered a new contract but wants away, somewhere. Their supporters strongly want to keep him. Probably do much better than Div 2 but as an ex Cowley player that may have a pull.

Taylor has had a fall out with his Manager, has been offered a new contract but wants away, somewhere. Their supporters strongly want to keep him. Probably do much better than Div 2 but as an ex Cowley player that may have a pull.
That's the hope isn't it?
Don't just score either, really good team player sets up a lot too.

I hate to say this, but we now need to be ruthless.

Walton will be gone, Farman allowed to leave.

Sean Long will be gone.

Nathan Arnold, Billy Knott and Cameron Stewart will all be gone.

Of the forwards, we may keep all three and add one.
Ruthless yes i think rhead needs to be the 1 of the forwards to be gone , yes done great for us but for the team to evolve and move up a level we need a bit more class ,

Ruthless yes i think rhead needs to be the 1 of the forwards to be gone , yes done great for us but for the team to evolve and move up a level we need a bit more class ,

I think Rheady should absolutely stay, but he really needs to get his act together WRT the playacting as refs give him nothing as his reputation goes before him. I know it's been said before, but....

Updated following contract information re. Elliott Whitehouse and Nathan Arnold:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (3):
Josh Vickers (2019)
Paul Farman (2019)
Richard Walton (out of contract)

Defenders (5):
Neal Eardley (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)
Sean Long (out of contract)

Midfielders (10):