Retained List And Squad | Page 3 | Vital Football

Retained List And Squad

Rowe not the answer. What did he actually deliver? One footed and never wanted to come to league two?

He made 16 appearances for us and we lost just one of those (excluding Port Vale, when he went off injured before they scored).

We won just two out of seven games after we lost him.

That is very impressive.

I hate to say this, but we now need to be ruthless.

Walton will be gone, Farman allowed to leave.

Sean Long will be gone.

Nathan Arnold, Billy Knott and Cameron Stewart will all be gone.

Of the forwards, we may keep all three and add one.
I wouldn't even say that's particularly ruthless, Impalex. I agree with you on all of those - for various reasons they haven't quite done the business this season, regardless of what happened previously. Some it will obviously be harder to see leave, but these things have to happen. I wonder if there perhaps might also be one or two more made available for transfer that might shock us.

You know, I don't really rate him.

Just doesn't do the defensive stuff as well as I'd like and I'm always of the opinion that is what defenders need to do first and foremost: anything else ( a la Mr Eardley) is a bonus.
depends on the system I suppose, Long could excel as a wing back imo. But we don’t seem particularly interested in trying a 3 CB system

We may be about to say goodbye to a few stalwarts, a few heroes of the very recent past. Some people may find that hard to accept, but we must look to the future and not be sentimental about the next steps.

Totally agree, we have an opportunity here to evolve whereas in previous seasons we have been hampered by funds and the market place where we shopped. We have an opportunity to move away from the bargain basement and to continually improve. Yes, there may be casualties on that retained list, players we may all be sad to see leave, but that is the industry they work in. Our focus should be on improving the team, not drastic surgery but a gentle hand on the tiller in improving the team. We have to attract the quality Exeter, Coventry clearly have, that is the challenge if we aspire to finnish higher next season.

Last edited:
He made 16 appearances for us and we lost just one of those (excluding Port Vale, when he went off injured before they scored).

That is very impressive.
I was at a lot of those games. C

That is very impressive.
It would have been if he was largely responsible.

Had a great expectation that Rowe was going to be a big impact player for imps and he showed it in glimpses.........move on and find another winger with goals.....not delivered.

Come on! Danny Rowe showed excellent ball control, could beat players and was comfortable with the ball at his feet. No one else in the squad came up to his standards when he was on form. End product wasn't always there but he offered us far more than Harry Anderson.

I worry about Harry it has gone a bit tits up for him and he appears to have lost his mojo.When we sign a new wideman then HA may become a bench player.
Rowe still contracted till 2020 to Ipswich.

The transfer window closing earlier means it is even more important to get more bodies in during the summer, and will aviod having to remodel the squad again in January.
I like what dc is capable of in taking players and bettering them. Seeing quality in players other teams overlook. The type of coach that is capable of bringing players together to make a team out of them. this is best done in pre-season, not on the fly in January.

Looking forward to seeing who he has lined up. Hope we don’t miss out on the striker for the third time in a row...

Would definitely sign Rowe up. He is technically very good and has the ability to make something happen in an instance. We don’t have many players that can do that. Give him a full pre season under the Cowleys and I think he’ll be a top player.

That is very impressive.

He was giving Vale's left back a torrid time and was, in my opinion, our most dangerous player, until he was cynically hacked down. Left me wanting more.

Those remaining from the National League will soon be down to a handful. I thought Long started the season really well, but after his injury his opportunities were very limited and can see him leaving.
The big disappointment to me has been Anderson, promises so much but little delivery. Maybe he will come back stronger after a good pre season. We will have some new heroes to cheer next season. Footi moves on. UTI.

The retained/released list isn't going to surprise any of us. Normally at this time of the year we have anything up to 80% of the squad out of contract. This year it's only a relative few and none who you could say are first team regulars now Eardley has re-signed.

The rest unless transferred out or contract paid up will report for training in July

Would definitely sign Rowe up. He is technically very good and has the ability to make something happen in an instance. We don’t have many players that can do that. Give him a full pre season under the Cowleys and I think he’ll be a top player.

Agree. We missed something once he got injured. It all depends on cost though as he is in contract at Ipswch. The war chest though better than in recent years won't be exhaustive and will need careful deployment

Agree. We missed something once he got injured. It all depends on cost though as he is in contract at Ipswch. The war chest though better than in recent years won't be exhaustive and will need careful deployment

If we're posting a £250k loss, the war-chest is empty!