Retained List And Squad | Page 5 | Vital Football

Retained List And Squad

We look a bit top heavy in central midfield - we have seven. Considering some fans believe we do not offer enough offensively from that area, is there room for movement there?

And assuming that Stewart and Arnold have played their last games for the club, we would only have one winger left.

Scott Wharton's tweet today suggests he will not be back either:

We look a bit top heavy in central midfield - we have seven. Considering some fans believe we do not offer enough offensively from that area, is there room for movement there?

And assuming that Stewart and Arnold have played their last games for the club, we would only have one winger left.

Scott Wharton's tweet today suggests he will not be back either:

Could Arnold not be brought back into the fold? He may have struggled last season but he had quality and composure in abundance in our 2016/17 season.... granted it’s a step up but one that I think he’s still capable of rising to. Not really sure what went wrong for him last season.

I sounded from his interview not long after his Salford move that he was looking at calling it a day soon.

It'd not surprise me to see him going PT next season.

I sounded from his interview not long after his Salford move that he was looking at calling it a day soon.

It'd not surprise me to see him going PT next season.
Nathan has alluded to being at a crossroads in his life so if he were to remain he would require a very clear message from DC about his role in the squad and Nathan would need to be 100% content with that. Personally I believe Nathan could do a job at L2 but he would not be starting.

I have no doubt that DC will be concentrating on recruitment of technical players (after we effectively lost the services of Arnold in conjunction with Marriott and Hawkridge) to go with at least one fullback, left sided centre back and a striker. The minerals, graft and spirit are at the club in abundance. I do not buy into the recently emerged speculation about financial doom and gloom one iota but am quite happy for other clubs to think that about us - not that they will. I expect there to be half a dozen quality signings/loanees to take us to the next level. My glass is half full; I remain only positive otherwise our management duo would have packed their bags and gone already. Patience and calm everyone.

Well, that's one definitely gone, then. Not a surprise.

Neal Eardley mentioned in today's interview that the player meetings are going on this week, so Danny has obviously made his decisions.

We'll probably know all in a day or two.

Updated following Billy Knott's farewell:

The current squad is (contract date):

Goalkeepers (3):
Josh Vickers (2019)
Paul Farman (2019)
Richard Walton (out of contract)

Defenders (5):
Neal Eardley (2020)
James Wilson (2020)
Sam Habergham (2019)
Luke Waterfall (2019)
Sean Long (out of contract)

Midfielders (9):
Michael Bostwick (2020)
Harry Anderson (2020)
Lee Frecklington (2020)
Ellis Chapman (2020)
Tom Pett (2020)
Alex Woodyard (2019)
Nathan Arnold (2019)
Elliott Whitehouse (out of contract)
Cameron Stewart (out of contract)

Forwards (3):
Matt Rhead (2019)
Matt Green (2019)
Ollie Palmer (2019)

Total: 20
In contract: 16

Anyone keeping tabs on the Bank for visitors? Bit early for triallists, granted, but there will be some comings and goings....

Well, that's one definitely gone, then. Not a surprise.

Neal Eardley mentioned in today's interview that the player meetings are going on this week, so Danny has obviously made his decisions.

We'll probably know all in a day or two.

To tell players to their face they are not being retained or put on the transfer list has to be the worst job for a Manager to do, especially after such a fantastic time with a close knit squad. Best of luck to those not getting the news that they would like to hear. UTI.

Shame, Knott is a very good player and the Cowley's would probably have been some of the best to help him with his problems but I guess he also does need to be playing every week which we can't promise him.

Can't but help feel Billy Knott is a bit like a younger Gazza. Talented, likeable and cheeky character who you just want to find the answer to taming his demons. Best of luck Billy, hope you find a way and get your life back on track.

I think Rheady should absolutely stay, but he really needs to get his act together WRT the playacting as refs give him nothing as his reputation goes before him. I know it's been said before, but....
hes not going to change the way he plays now is he ? his act does cost us penalties and free kicks in my opinion

For those who didn't see it

https://www.redimps.co.uk/news/2018/may/180521-dconeardley/

“We are in a much better place, we have the foundations of a much better squad and we now have to add the four or five who will help us improve to get to the position where we are competing at the top end of this league,” said Cowley.

“We have done brilliantly as a group with a 19-man squad, to achieve what we have... What we now need to do is to get the players who will take us to the next level.”

Notts:

Shola Ameobi
Adam Collin
Carl Dickinson
Mike Edwards
Jonathan Forte
Elliot Hodge
Nicky Hunt
Rob Milsom
Callum Saunders
Alan Smith
Curtis Thompson